The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New hitech traffic cams
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:15 pm 
Rock Star

I read that new speed/traffic cams did not flash ! Well at shipshape lights, StGeorges Chloraka and big church near mall all 3 appear to flash a great deal , fortunately i have been stationary at the times . This has made me very cautious at lights to make sure i am not speeding going through and following the law to the letter ! This has made me realise im not sure i know all the rules ! Problem with driving for 20 years in the wild east !

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:40 pm 
Top of the pops

There was a settling-in period, before they were switched on proper, Mouse, which they are post Christmas.

I guess the government would say the cameras are proving their effectiveness, if they cause us all to be a little more cautious. Plus, like all government initiatives here and (especially) in the UK, they are money-grabbing enterprises at the same time.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:55 am 
Top of the pops

Another money grab that will become worse, roll on the local boys with the JCB's

The Cypriots I knew from many years ago would not allow this to happen to them like little pussies.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:57 pm 
Rock Star

Yakflyer wrote:
There was a settling-in period, before they were switched on proper, Mouse, which they are post Christmas.

I guess the government would say the cameras are proving their effectiveness, if they cause us all to be a little more cautious. Plus, like all government initiatives here and (especially) in the UK, they are money-grabbing enterprises at the same time.

Given the number of accidents that have occurred at that junction, the installation of cameras to make people take more care, can surely only be a good thing.

I don't think the cameras have been set up correctly yet as they seem to fire at random, even wjen nobody is speeding or jumping the lights.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:56 am 
Top of the pops

Effsie wrote:
Given the number of accidents that have occurred at that junction, the installation of cameras to make people take more care, can surely only be a good thing.

Can't argue with that, Effsie.

Effsie wrote:
I don't think the cameras have been set up correctly yet as they seem to fire at random, even wjen nobody is speeding or jumping the lights.

Now that is bad, as incorrect fines will cause blood pressures to rise and bad things to happen. The traffic light complexity at the Shipshape junction does not really lend itself to fair policing by cameras. Will be interesting to see how that works out. But Cypriots will (rightly) not tolerate a bad or unfair system.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:58 am 
Top of the pops

The whole ethos of the cameras etc is a scam and to accept them lying down like lemmings is fools play. The more people shout about it, refuse to pay and create a ground swell the better.

If you really want to live in a sterile world then go to another country. Cyprus is magnificent because of its imperfections.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:57 pm 
Master

tanny wrote:

If you really want to live in a sterile world then go to another country. Cyprus is magnificent because of its imperfections.

Exactly, this is what makes Cyprus so unique, the people are prepared to stand up for their rights and actually do something about things that affect them. Good that people are still able to express themselves and don't just roll over when changes are made - progress does not necessarily mean going forward. EG using new bus terminals in Paphos is no longer as practical or economical as the previous system!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:54 am 
Top of the pops

Sadly less of the current active generation stand up for anything but the Euro or Dollar, their own lives have been stealthily confiscated by the constant necessity to work and earn.

The youth has not got the vigour or desires of previous generations.

Live your dreams.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body