It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 9:40 am

Mr-Woo Chinese and Thai Restaurant

The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:46 pm 

Until recently, due to overstock, The Grand / Ikoagora still had stock of Grants tinned Haggis. They have now sadly run out and due to Brexit, they will no longer be able to import it

Same applies to Philippos

With Burns night looming, does anyone know ANY PLACE that Grants tinned Haggis is still available?

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:35 pm 
Top of the pops

Yeah, the gift that keeps on giving, isn't it, M.A.D? Sorry I can't respond to your individual request, and for hijacking your thread, but...

There's a lot more bad stuff coming this way in the year ahead, including a requirement for travellers from all non-EU countries (yes, that includes you, UK!) to be finger-printed and have facial scans, broadly similiar to the US ESTA scheme.

Pre-Brexit, there were so many UK retailers who would ship to Cyprus; now most have stopped. Amazon UK is now a non-starter and shipments from Amazon.de are much more expensive, esp. shipping. Stuff coming in from the UK is now subject to Customs inspection and import duty and VAT on values over a notional amount. Our favourite fresh fish shop in Kissonerga (much stock came from Billingsgate market) closed down following Brexit. Travelling through airports in the EU now requires UK passport-holders to go through snaking 'non-EU' channels, rather than sail effortlessly without hindrance through EU channels.

Brexit was foisted on gullible peeps by the lying charlatans Boris and Farage, under the guise of 'taking back control' (lol), the USA and other countries queueing up to do 'massive' trade deals with the UK (lol, again), and the promised sunlit uplands...

A few days ago it was reported that Canada has backed down from doing a trade deal with the UK. And as we all know, Biden won't touch a post-Brexit trade deal with a bargepole.

Some of us did try to warn what would await following Brexit, but we were shouted down as scare-mongerers.

But if anyone is aware of a single Brexit benefit, I'm all ears ;)

Back to your thread now M.A.D. Apologies again.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:59 pm 
Major

Yakflyer wrote:
Yeah, the gift that keeps on giving, isn't it, M.A.D? Sorry I can't respond to your individual request, and for hijacking your thread, but...

There's a lot more bad stuff coming this way in the year ahead, including a requirement for travellers from all non-EU countries (yes, that includes you, UK!) to be finger-printed and have facial scans, broadly similiar to the US ESTA scheme.

Pre-Brexit, there were so many UK retailers who would ship to Cyprus; now most have stopped. Amazon UK is now a non-starter and shipments from Amazon.de are much more expensive, esp. shipping. Stuff coming in from the UK is now subject to Customs inspection and import duty and VAT on values over a notional amount. Our favourite fresh fish shop in Kissonerga (much stock came from Billingsgate market) closed down following Brexit. Travelling through airports in the EU now requires UK passport-holders to go through snaking 'non-EU' channels, rather than sail effortlessly without hindrance through EU channels.

Brexit was foisted on gullible peeps by the lying charlatans Boris and Farage, under the guise of 'taking back control' (lol), the USA and other countries queueing up to do 'massive' trade deals with the UK (lol, again), and the promised sunlit uplands...

A few days ago it was reported that Canada has backed down from doing a trade deal with the UK. And as we all know, Biden won't touch a post-Brexit trade deal with a bargepole.

Some of us did try to warn what would await following Brexit, but we were shouted down as scare-mongerers.

But if anyone is aware of a single Brexit benefit, I'm all ears ;)

Back to your thread now M.A.D. Apologies again.

While I think you are correct about the new rules coming in later in 2024, I also read on an article about this, that Ireland and Cyprus were exempt from these. Don't know why.

Doesn't mean ir still applies to the rest of EU.

Jim

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:29 pm 
Top of the pops

I am an independence preferer (if such a word exists) and believe we should rid ourselves of all forms of central governments and control. It is not the Brexit that matters but the leeches who pretend to carry it out to line their own pockets. Sadly most politicians are simply low life.

But the ID instances you describe are exactly what was shown to you several years ago and called people conspiracy theorists etc. Brexit is not the problem. its the blind greed of people who prefer to live for NOW than protect for the future.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:26 pm 
Master

Ireland, Cyprus and Malta are exempt because they are islands and people cannot easily get into the rest of the EU. You will find that more individual EU holiday islands like Corsica, Majorca, Canaries etc will also apply for exemptions and the whole system will rapidly deteriorate.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:52 am 
Top of the pops

Sadly Clive the system will go the other way and tighten up removing exemptions from those who need it.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:58 pm 

ANYONE know where Grants tinned Haggis available ? :clapping :greetings

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:19 pm 
Top of the pops

Sadly not but you can try to make one.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:52 pm 
Top of the pops

gerbear56 wrote:
While I think you are correct about the new rules coming in later in 2024, I also read on an article about this, that Ireland and Cyprus were exempt from these. Don't know why.

Doesn't mean it still applies to the rest of EU.
Jim

On reflection Jim, I believe you are correct. Going to the UK is easy enough, but it's when travelling within Europe that you are reminded that "freedom of movement within 26 EU states" has gone for good.

At one destination (Brussels?) I accidentally strayed into an Immigration check-point for EU passport-holders. Noting my UK passport the Immigration Officer curtly told me to get into the infinitely longer 'non-EU' queue, with the words "Remember, the UK is no longer in the EU" :banghead

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body