Mr-Woo Chinese and Thai Restaurant

The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:25 am 
Rock Star

Couple of months ago our Cyta internet was upgraded from appx 9 to 13 meg download , 0.75 upload, i think we paid for 20meg . We were promised a free upgrade to 200meg , yer right thats not going to happen , but i thought free upgrade whats to lose ? We have always had good service from cyta so a little more can only be good .
So they did the upgrade and internet was faster , but within a week the buffering started , some times when i click on youtube it can sometimes take 30 seconds to load ! And what has NEVER happened before youtube has started buffering, sometimes very badly and to the degree there is no point and i watch something off a usb memory stick .
I have checked my internet speed at 3 different sites , all give excellent numbers between 50 and 80 meg upload and download , it should be flying ! As opposed to stumbling with a broken leg ! The massive upload speed is of no use to us because we dont have a smart home and dont upload much if anything to the internet , no we dont use Cloud or Drive or any of the others.
I understand our tablets and computers are not the latest thing but why should an upgrade of this magnitude cause them to perform less well ?
Before i challenge Cyta with an explanation anyone have any useful suggestions please ?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:19 pm 
Rock Star

So, did you actually upgrade to fibre? It isn't clear from your post.

I upgraded to Cyta fibre back in April and the results have been fantastic. Everything works, there is no buffering and the significantly faster speeds are cheaper than the old non fibre connection.

Have you called Cyta technical support to see if they can help you? They are usually very good.

If you are having problems it is more likely to be at your end rather than with the connection (I say that as when I have had issues in the past it has always been traced back to some piece of kit in the house).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:44 pm 
Rock Star

Effsie to clarify we paid for 20meg i think and couple of months ago we were upgraded to 200meg . Before upgrade our service was generally pretty good and buffering when streaming wasnt to bad and youtube Never buffered. Now with our new high speed optical link , they installed a new box outside , a box inside and a new router too and all for free, sadly the overal service we now receive is not as good as it was despite download speeds being 7 times faster. My android tablet, and Linux computers all run Google chrome browser. Ican only asumme whilst the speed is higher the band width is lower ! Was hoping somebody might have a good idea !
Ps believe it or not but we are the ones who dont have uk tv and a mag box .

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:42 pm 
Major

Have you tried turning the router off at the socket for a minute then turning it back on? Usually works.

We had the upgrade in June, great afterwards with 200mbs and they offered us 300mbs for an extra 1.99, I declined what's the point.

Gary.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:14 am 
Rock Star

One of the great things about fibre is that the speed is consistent and you should always have the stated connection speed, or very close to it. The only time things are likely to slow down is if there are issues with the cables running to and from Cyprus.

If you aren't getting your advertised speed, call Cyta technical support and they should be able to sort you out.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:20 pm 
Master

I watched them installing fibre cables they didn't seem to worry that fibre doesn't like being bent too acutely, it is glass after all. This could be a cause of some of the problems being experienced.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:39 pm 
Regular

Clive - Fibre can be bent massively! in the old days you had to be very careful but now it is almost indestructible. I did see in the USA a few months ago, a providers overhead fibre across a main highway was brought down, it was being run over by several hundred vehicles every hour and after 2 days one of the managers just happened to drive past and noticed it - no errors.

I had to pull some through the other day and the conduit was really tight, and pulled so hard I thought it would break. So before I went further I tested it with my test tools and it was still perfect. I suppose the kevlar protects it well.

I have yet to find a fibre installation not delivering the stated speed, however I have found some wifi devices (older ones!) just cannot work at max speed. I did have a complaint from one customer he could only get 40Mbps, but when I connected his more modern phone to the 5G signal it showed 100Mbps, it was an older laptop issue not the internet. I have 100's of customers on full fiber across the district, and I have only had one fault in the last 12 months and apart from that one customer no other speed complaints.

Mouse - I have an optical test tool I can bring to check the light strength and position of any faults in the fibre. I also have a special laser to test the internal fibre and connections. Unlike DSL you cannot login to the modem to check the upstream and downstream rates, you can only check optical light strength.

Regards

Digby

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:20 pm 
Rock Star

Thanks Digby, i will check speeds on our various things , i have 2 x pi3 running debian a nd we have 2 x andriod tablets one 5 years old and the other 3 years old . Just for measurement neither tablet will run the paphos parking app. I will see if the speeds are different.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:35 pm 
Rock Star

An update. The other day i dropped into the ctya shop in the mall . Politely explains my problems , the guy said an engineer would call next day . Indeed 10.00 next day cyta engineer on doorstep asking how could he help . They said i had an old modem aand i needed a new one , 20minutes later new modem and much better internet ! Good service huh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:44 pm 
Rock Star

Sadly things are slowing down again and buffering is at previously unknown levels . Youtube some nights is unusable and even when good the you tube home page page takes 45 seconds to a minute to load. Now facebook is buffering too . Now with the new router cyta are charging extra as well. In terms of quality of service i wish to go back to the old 20meg wire connection as it was faster and less buffering than our so called 200meg firbre optic link !
I never expected the rated speed as our equipment is older and cant support the higher speeds . When i do a speed test then i get 50 to 80 meg which should be more than enough when before between 10 and 20 was fine .
Seeing Cyta sell " i " apple everything then i can only assume their new equipment is optimised for iphone 5g at the expensive of supporting older protocols for andriod and Linux .
Our property is up sidedown, so main Cyta router is upstairs , from that one lan cable runs downstairs to the back of the property and another runs downstairs to the front of the property on the end of each lan cable is another router this simple arrangement gave reliable wifi and easy access to a lan connection throughout the house, each router has a unique ssid and the tablets and computers automatically connected to the best signal . The modems on factory default settings just self configured ,as said an easy cheap and simple solution to internet anywhere in the house .
A second problem is the new Huawei router is not talking very well to my other routers ! My guess new router not supporting older connection protocols !
Holitec/Digby if you read this whats your thoughts ?
The new Huawei modem/router is not talking to m

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body