Mr-Woo Chinese and Thai Restaurant

The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:02 pm 
Rock Star

Whilst the Yahoo article i read is connected to the U.K. i would think it is relevent to all of europe and many countries as well. A motorway services chain has fulfilled its obligation to install ev chargers but the CEO is warning many will not be working as there is insuffient extra power available to run them . I read about an 8 minute charger , it only took 861kw from the grid ! Yes 0.86 megawatt. Clearly government policy is in error .they just plucked a date out of the air and have no idea how to make it happen ! . Makes no sense to force a new product in a short period without a functional support infrastructure and what of the fossil fuel infrastructure ? So either the government are a load of idiots who generally know diddley squat about the legislation they are passing or maybe if you read between the lines then policy is to actually make personal vehicle ownership so difficult and so expensive only the FEW special people will have one .
If you own your own house and have a private driveway and garage , then having unlimited easy access to charging should make owning an ev very pleasant, but what percentage of car owners are in that situation ? Hmm not very big !
If the policy really was to reduce the carbon footprint then laws would dramatically change the specification of the evs on sale . At present vehicles are getting ever bigger, heavier and more powerful using more metal , more plastic,bigger batteries , bigger tyres which wear faster causing more pollution and requiring more power to recharge per 100km. This spec is about as far away from green as you could get .
Despite what you may think i am NOT anti ev ! I am pro recycling, by not buying new , repairing old , reusing .for the running about i do then an electric tuk tuk van or smart car size vehicle with a 50 to 100km range would do just fine.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:06 am 
Top of the pops

The entire EV plot is a bunch of kaka. Normal motorists are being forced to subsidise these kaka machines that are proven to fail every one of their own arguments at every question.

Maybe EV owners should be made to charge/recharge/curse at their vehicles from their own renewable source, so carry a private turbine, panels etc etc and forego the extra shopping bag space.

Why should a young family at and below the breadline, striving to keep their heads up and family fed and cool have to subsidise these EV zealots.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:34 pm 
Rock Star

Whilst i fully agree with the vast gulf between the goal of green issues and the realisation ! I dont quite understand the point about others supporting the ev owners unless it is related to the carbon tax on electricity bills. At present it appears cyprus sources about 86% of its electricity from fossil fuels which puts a different light on these 0% emission vehicles ! Also with emmissions being measured at such low levels , the particles released by tyre wear is now at relevent levels, so much so that because evs tend to be bigger and much heavier and suffer much higher tyre wear it is possible that 0 emmission evs are actually slightly more polluting than a good low emmission petrol/ diesel car . Due the fashion for vehicles being ever bigger and heavier they wear and damage the road more and so the road tax should reflect this .
But i guess the marketing bods will carry on flogging evs as the green alternative when i actual fact they are not really ticking all the green boxes where with a more sensible design they could do so much better ! But hell who can stand in the way of fashion !

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 4:44 pm 
Top of the pops

What i mean by supporting them is I am a fossil and fossil fuel payer. Why dont EV self proclaimed world savers go and charge their cars with their own supply of renewable electric rather than sponging of the previously paid for system paid for by me.

Live your dreams.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body