It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:26 pm

Mr-Woo Chinese and Thai Restaurant

The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:49 am 

Modern bus stops will be operational throughout Cyprus from next January, offering adequate cover and timetables, according to Transport Minister Alexis Vafeades.

Speaking to Trito on Saturday, he emphasised the bus stops will provide shelter and provide constant updates to the public on the expected arrival of buses.

As for the chronic lack of bus drivers, the minister said that considerations are underway to bring drivers over from Greece. He added that a review of the practical training process for new bus drivers is also underway.

The new bus stops will also double down as shelters and are part of an infrastructure upgrade project with a total value of €60 million, co-financed by ‘Thaleia’ European regional development fund by 65 per cent and 35 per cent by national resources.

The project is in line with the Republic’s strategic aims for the transition to sustainable mobility and green development.

The bus stops are set to be installed across the island through out this year to be ready for next January. The work entails the placement of 350 columns with integrated technology, 1,350 small shelters, 650 large canopies for urban areas, and 100 large sheds suitable for mountainous areas.

The installation of the new stops also entails the placing of photovoltaic systems, bike racks and connections to a fixed electricity supply network.

Vafeades also stated that the transport ministry recently carried out an islandwide inspection on the suitability of buses and trucks.

Unfortunately, he said, approximately ten per cent of trucks and four per cent of buses failed the inspection.

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:57 am 
Rock Star

Greek bus drivers ! Dont they drive on the wrong side of the road ? :woohoo . Seriously though in uk 12 years ago and currently in Tallinn i found smart bus stops and smart on bus displays very useful , good for tourists , inside bus on big display showing route , bus position and minutes to next stop. As said very useful for non estonian speakers , aside tourists they have many russian speakers who like myself dont speak estonian . Just as Cypriots fear the loss of their national language so do estonians .

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body