It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:25 pm

Mr-Woo Chinese and Thai Restaurant

The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:27 am 

Fuel and electricity prices are set to rise as of July 1 following expiration of the relief measures for consumers introduced last year.

According to Finance Ministry permanent secretary, George Panteli, an evaluation by the ministry shows that the measures are no longer justified, since fuel prices have dropped to below March 2022 levels.

The inflation control measures–a freeze of VAT on motor fuels and electricity–were initially introduced in July 2022 through to the end of the year with two extensions, in September 2022 and April 2023.

The government is now gearing up to do away with the tax reduction although Disy MPs have called for another extension.

Panteli, however, told Alpha News that as of July 1 the price of motor fuels will return to normal, which means an increase of approximately 8 cents per litre.

As for electricity bills, Panteli said the reintroduced excise tax on fuel for electricity production will apply here too. Relief from other charges burdening consumers, such as emissions fines, are to be re-examined in autumn, according to the ministry rep.

Based on today’s fuel prices and if indeed the cabinet decides to discontinue the relief measures, the average price of 95 octane unleaded petrol and diesel, will rise from €1.38 per litre as of Wednesday to € 1.46 cents per litre.

The average price of heating oil will increase by around 6.2 cents to €1.04 cents per litre, up from 0.98 cents as of Wednesday.

According to a European Commission newsletter, the average fuel price in effect on March 7, 2022, before the tax reduction was introduced, was €1.43 per litre for unleaded 95 octanes, €1.49 per litre for diesel, and €1.22 per litre for heating oil.

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:32 pm 
Master

I use an App to find the cheapest fuel prices - but no point driving out of your way to get a 'bargain' so plan my route accordingly.

I have an Android phone and the App is: fuelCY

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body