It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:39 pm

Mr-Woo Chinese and Thai Restaurant

The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:53 am 

What is this new thing with the caps being attached to plastic bottles?
By Natasa Ioannou

Are tethered caps another way to inconvenience consumers or is there a reason behind this new trend?

Consumers while purchasing certain plastic bottles and other products this past week, came across a surprising change, a lid that is literally attached to the bottle in a perhaps strange and inconvenient way. Many did not comprehend this new trend and are perplexed about why they need to accept this “union” of plastic bottles and caps.

This new deal of “lids attached” is not an unexpected measure, since it is part of the European Single Use Plastics Directive (SUP Directive (EU) 2019/904) that was transposed into national Cypriot law under the Law on Waste (Amendment) Law 22 (48(I)2022) in June 2022.

The law states: From 3 July 2024, single-use plastic products provided […], which have lids and covers made of plastic, may be placed on the market, provided that during their intended use stage the lids and their caps remain attached to the containers (Article 36)
FULL story:- https://cyprus-mail.com/2023/06/14/the-welcome-union-of-plastic-bottles-and-caps/

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:30 am 
Top of the pops

And soon the nanny states and EU will tell you how to open the bottles legally and drink from that receptacle without spilling a drop of the magic potion inside.

What a bunch of bollox. the sooner a big landfill is created and we dump the entire contents of the EU and all the parasitic hangers on in there the better.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:27 pm 
Master

As a person who has advanced osteoarthritis of both hands these new design caps are impossible for me to undo!

If you try to pull the lid off then it doesn't close properly - a nuisance if it contains a liquid such as fruit juice that needs to be shaken first.
Also makes it more difficult to pour!

A number of charities encourage people to save the plastic lids in order to raise funds - no good if it remains attached to the container.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:11 pm 
Rock Star

tanny wrote:
And soon the nanny states and EU will tell you how to open the bottles legally and drink from that receptacle without spilling a drop of the magic potion inside.

What a bunch of bollox. the sooner a big landfill is created and we dump the entire contents of the EU and all the parasitic hangers on in there the better.

The purpose of this is to try and ensure that the whole lot goes for recycling, rather than the cap being dropped on the floor.

Surely that is a good thing?

I have never encountered anyone so convinced that the world is out to get them!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:23 pm 
Rock Star

To the best of my knowledge bottle caps are of a different type of plastic to bottle thus increasing the cost of recycling, i would guess a container/bottle will be of one type and on colour plastic but not having seen a new gizmo im not sure ! Im not sure this new directive will help ! But lets hope it doesnt make things worse.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:28 am 
Rock Star

since first reading this i have seen a new " tethered cap " and it is a different plastic still. one answer is a deposit on plastic bottles because to return them a cap needs to be fitted. i know i keep mentioning this but it a system to circumnavigate the inherent laziness of people ,it operates in a few European countries, i am surprised its not an EU recommendation.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 4:30 pm 
Top of the pops

Mouse you are correct, however screw the EU, for many years most UK drinks sellers (inc milk) would give a deposit and discount scheme to reuse bottles, seems like going back to the past to be in the present is the way forward.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:07 am 
Rock Star

well tanny i dont see plastic as the root of all evil, if all plastic bottles were glass we would be in a worse state ! to make headway with this problem we need to adjust our lifestyle to use considerably less single use packaging, but marketing strategies dont allow this. not all forward movement is good, so yes i feel returning to some of the old ways would be a plus, but not all ways by any means. whilst there are massive conglomerates that just look at turnover and profit and sod the ecosystem i see no way forward.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:04 am 
Top of the pops

Mouse wrote:
To the best of my knowledge bottle caps are of a different type of plastic to bottle thus increasing the cost of recycling, i would guess a container/bottle will be of one type and on colour plastic but not having seen a new gizmo im not sure ! Im not sure this new directive will help ! But lets hope it doesnt make things worse.

We have been collecting bottle tops for many years ..for recycling .and have always thought that the top plastic being thicker was able to be recycled

If all of the bottles are now being able to be recycled
What a huge benefit to us all

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body