It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:08 pm

Mr-Woo Chinese and Thai Restaurant

The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 9:08 am 

Public hospital doctors intend to carry out a 24-hour strike on Thursday in protest over uncertainly in medical malpractice suit insurance.

Speaking on CyBC’s morning radio, union leader Sotiris Koumas said the doctors were tired of words not backed up by actions.

The strike, which had been approved by state doctors union (Pasyki), is planned for 7:30 am Thursday to end at 7:30 am Friday.

According to a statement released by Pasyki, the relevant state agencies – including the ministry of health, the ministry of finance, and the legal service – have failed to provide public employees with insurance benefits accorded in legislations.

The benefits were transferred to the state health services organisation (Okypy) under condition that employees would retain their obligations and rights.

However, Pasyki claims, Okypy has failed to determine procedures for doctors employed under non-permanent contracts who are not classed as state employees.

Pasyki also said in its statement that it has made repeated efforts to resolve the issue of insurance uncertainty in public hospitals.

A message from Okypy to CyBC during the union leader’s interview, stated that the union had been sent a written assurance that the organisation offered coverage to doctors, and that the state was in the process of procuring a group contract with an external insurance agency.

Later, Okypy spokesman Charalambos Charilaou reiterated this position saying, “There is no reason for this strike, Okypy has taken all actions necessary for transitional coverage as well as for a long term solution and all doctors are covered.”

Asked whether the matter could be referred to the ministry of labour, Charilaou said this was not an option as the union had given adequate warning of the strike.

“The only losers here are the patients,” Charilaou maintained.

Koumas told CyBC that the letter referenced did not go far enough and that the legal services and Okypy needed to respond directly to the union.

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body