Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I KNEW I'D FORGET
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:58 am 
Graduate

I KNEW I’D FORGET

Most mornings I am awake at six thirty I lie there in bed for a while. It takes me a couple of minutes to work out which day it is, even longer to establish the exact date. I suppose that is old age creeping on coupled to the fact that being retired every day is the same, no different than the one before or the one yet to come.

I personally have to write things down as a reminder of what I or my wife thought of maybe the day before. Shopping lists are the most important and it works for both of us as long as we don’t forget to bring the list to the shop with us. How often do you go to another room for something only to find that you don’t know what you are looking for. I have to go back to the other room and start again. The other day I went upstairs for something only to find myself halfway up the flight not knowing whether I was going up or coming down. Don’t get me wrong, I quite like old people they can be very funny I can’t wait to get old myself.

How we used to laugh at the old chap who was our neighbour, old whatsisname, who never seemed to know what day it was. For example he would make arrangements to meet friends for the local Pub Quiz only to forget what day it was on. Luckily they all knew how bad his memory was so very often they would come round and pick him up. He was essential to their team as he had a phenomenal memory for music, politics, world events from the nineteen fifties and sixties. As he used to say “I know because I was there!” Very often old whatsisnames’ obscure answers were the deciding factor in the outcome of the competition. It was just a shame he didn’t know the name of the pub, the quiz team or the members he was playing with.

The other day I was on the computer and had to enter my password, I didn’t have a clue. But I’ve got a foolproof method. I just type in ‘help’, then a message flashes up ‘The password is incorrect’. So I type in ‘incorrect’ and away I go. Clever eh! you have to be one step ahead of technology you know. That’s a trick the girl at the computer shop taught me, nice girl that Jenny.

Talking about computers, aren’t they unnecessarily complicated, I rely heavily on the girl at the shop, Gemma, who I just told you about, to get me out of trouble. She has got the patience of a saint and talks me through the process which seems to be different every week. If it wasn’t for Jeanie I would be in all kinds of do dos. Now why was I talking about computers any way? Oh yes I was going to do the online quiz wasn’t I. Going through the password system and getting instructions what the proper one is, I log in. I am informed that I have already played today. Really, how many did I get then, oh only three out of ten are they sure? What day is it? Wednesday the subject is Films I never do well with those.
I remember now if it’s Wednesday, I must do the homework for the writers group tomorrow. The American guy Dick set it last week, I didn’t write it down what the hell was the theme?
Damn! I knew I’d forget!

(The theme was ‘Forgetfulness’ and it was set by Rick who is Canadian)

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body