Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SUPERSTITIOUS NONSENSE
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:05 pm 
Graduate

SUPERSTITIOUS NONSENSE

“There’s no such thing” was my old Gran’s response if anybody who would try to use a superstition as an excuse for not doing something. She was a no nonsense woman who believed in doing everything properly however difficult the circumstances.

So called unlucky days held no fears for her she would carry out her daily routine without any reservations. Her beloved black cat ‘Sooty’ would sit on her lap enjoying all the attention that he wanted. She lived her whole life pooh poohing superstitions until the fateful day when her good luck finally ran out.

Friday the thirteenth of April my Gran went to town shopping she bought a new pair of shoes, an umbrella and a new mirror for her handbag putting all of the shopping on the kitchen table when she got home. She really needed a nice cup of tea so reaching for the kettle she was somewhat startled when a very frightened little bird suddenly flew around her kitchen. Sooty the cat had brought it in as a ‘present’ for his mistress. The bird charged into cupboards and windows bird droppings were everywhere including on my Gran’s head. So she put up her new umbrella for protection unfortunately as the thing went fully open her handbag mirror was pushed off the table smashing on the floor. Looking at the wrecked kitchen she decided to try and catch the bird which was now on top of the cupboards. She put up the stepladders and climbed up to catch the bird by successfully throwing a tea towel over it. Sooty was very interested in the proceedings and ran around my Gran trying to recover his lunch, tripping my Gran over who stumbled under the stepladder and ended up on the floor. Touching the wooden table for support she pulled herself up. Examining herself she felt an itch on her left hand, and surveyed the broken mirror how much did that cost, oh well it’s going in the bin now.

At this point her daughter, my mum, arrived to a chaotic scene of my Gran sat in the turmoil that was once her kitchen with

1) Bird muck on her head – lucky
2) A new pair of shoes on the table – unlucky
3) An opened umbrella in the house – unlucky
4) A broken mirror – unlucky
5) Upturned stepladder caused by Sooty crossing her path – unlucky
6) She had touched the wooden table on getting up – lucky
7) A small graze on her left hand – lose money- the mirror – unlucky

“What on earth?” she said
“I’ve had a mishap dear that’s all. I was just about to make a cup of tea would you like one?”

“I just called to see if you were alright what with it being Friday the thirteenth” said my mum.

“Load of rubbish” was my Gran’s reply.

The bird escaped when the door was opened - that was lucky for him anyway!

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body