Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CHALLENGING HOMEWORK
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:19 pm 
Graduate

Challenging Homework
The homework at the Writer’s Group this week was particularly challenging, being an exercise in structure of the background and upbringing of an outstanding person or theme.
My first thought was to investigate Horatio Nelson his life was amazingly complex and he didn’t half do some stuff, losing ships and bits of his body along the way. His long term mistress was Emma Hamilton although what the attraction was for her is beyond me. Every time they got together there was a bit less of him. Imagine a romantic evening in with Horatio, gazing deep into his eye, as he threw his arm around her. Ending up at Trafalgar, where with his dying breath he was unfaithful to her saying ‘Kiss me Hardy’. So I abandoned that.
Then I thought of somebody simpler the German Fuhrer Adolf Hitler. That seemed a good idea, a painter of some note although I hear that his wallpapering wasn’t up to much. He couldn’t reach high enough and he suffered with his right arm being stiff for the rest of his life. He had a fascination with Lord Baden-Powell and the boy scouts and even wrote a book about it ‘Mine Campf’ all about camping I suppose. That didn’t do too well either. Charlie Chaplin must have been another of his idols, his moustache was copied from the great comedian.
He rose to power in the thirties but was always arguing with Kings and things and finally him and his mate the Italian president Moussolini kicked off World War Two, having failed with World War One. That didn’t end too well either. So I abandoned him.
Then I thought of female candidates. Joan of Arc came to mind she successfully led the French against the Lancastrians during the hundred years’ war in the fifteenth century leading to the coronation of Charles IV of France. She was captured and tried by an English court and burned at the stake aged just nineteen. Not the best of endings. So I abandoned her too.
Who next? I know - Prince Charles. Born in 1948 to a Greek father and a mother of Germanic descent, he has led a charmed life becoming Duke of Cornwall in 1952 and then being crowned Prince of Wales in 1969 ultimately the heir to the Throne of England he couldn’t fail. Or could he?
Obeying the rules of the royal family he allowed himself to be wed to Diana and the pretend ‘marriage’ produced a future ‘heir and a spare’ to the Throne. Diana had done her ‘job’ so Charles returned to the true love of his life Camilla. Now he’s got it all his own way hasn’t he, the throne and a drone.
You couldn’t write it could you? It sounds like a Mills and Boone novel doesn’t it. I abandoned him too.
So there you are despite my valiant efforts I couldn’t find anybody worth writing about.
Hang on a minute what about Margaret Thatcher she had an interesting life ......................

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body