Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MUSIC IN THE SIXTIES
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:53 am 
Graduate

MUSIC IN THE SIXTIES

Music is just one short word which encompasses a vast genre from ancient classical to modern rap. Every different type of music had its own fans, who usually had little or no interest in any other branches of what after all is just a collection of notes arranged in different orders.
How do you differentiate between Classical and Modern? At what point does the tempo change and encourage the listener to tap his foot in time with the beat? No doubt some expert can answer that question but many people who like modern music have particularly favourite pieces from the classical field. Indeed many pieces of Classical music have been adapted into the idiom of modern music.
When at school in the early sixties, ‘pop music’ was just taking off. This was our music nothing to do with our parents’ stuff, it was new! Our school was a ‘Technical School’ educating children in skills and practical things and we had a traditional music teacher whose name was Mr Hall. During his first ever lesson with a new class, he broke the ice by assuring us all that his first name was not Albert. This always raised a laugh and made him amenable to us all.
He took a different approach to teaching pupils who had little or no interest in the old fashioned stuff by encouraging us to bring in the latest records by pop stars, then after listening to it he proceeded to break the tune down. He was an excellent pianist and could usually think of a classical piece where the ‘latest’ hit record had been lifted from. It encouraged anybody who was musically inclined to examine compositions in a different way, and many members of the local ‘pop’ groups originated from our school.
This was the early sixties, The Beatles, Rolling Stones and hundreds of wannabe stars were all striving for stardom. British music was leading the world. Many ‘rich kids’ had electric guitars bought for them but never had a clue how to play them! Mr Hall encouraged the boys to bring their instruments in to school and even though he was not a guitarist he could show how to tune it in using the piano. Basic chords were learnt using ‘Bert Weedon’s play in a day’ tutor and many local stars were made this way.

The school staff put on an annual production of a Gilbert and Sullivan operetta, which was always well attended by parents and pupils alike. The opportunity to see a tyrannical maths master or mistress dressed up as a Japanese characters called Nanki Poo, Ko Ko or Pooh Bah, was one not to be missed. ‘Three little maids’ often sung by three ‘old maids’ and the whole thing was set in the town of Titipu. Absolutely hilarious but at the same time it subconsciously taught us all a valuable lesson in life.
The whole thing was organised by the brilliant Mr Hall who I think enjoyed educating both staff and pupils through music, how to adjust their attitudes to each other’s different standards.

I only realised much later in life what an influence that man had on me. I have always listened to music from whatever source with an open mind and given it a chance because of him. Armed with this knowledge I progressed through life trying to understand everything I came across. Classical, Stage Musicals, Pop, Jazz, Country or Reggae all were worth a listen and then selected as like or not.
My biggest regret was not being able to produce music myself. I just could not play anything except maybe a tambourine, badly! I also couldn’t sing.

Oh Well!

Post subject: Re: MUSIC IN THE SIXTIES
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:23 pm 
Major

Brilliant it's a shame There aren't teachers like that any more or pupils like that.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body