Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A DAY OFF SCHOOL
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:19 pm 
Graduate

A DAY OFF SCHOOL

This happened in 1958 when the NHS really worked
Nobody had a telephone and TV was only on in the evenings
I had a really lucky childhood, health-wise in fact I can’t remember ever feeling sick, I mean really sick - not pretending just to get a day off school. I was cured of that particular ruse when aged nine I protested that I couldn’t go to school because I had a sore throat.
“Right” said my mum “it’s off to the doctors for you”.
That was alright by me, a lie in then a bus ride into town, see the doctor, do some shopping with Mum then back on the bus. Home for lunch, sit and listen to the radio all afternoon, a day off school. That was a result.
“Open wide” said the doctor as he held my tongue down with a thin piece of wood and thrust a torch down my throat. “Hmmm can you say AAAHHH for me’” only too happy to oblige I gave a strangled aarrghh. “Well Mrs White he has enlarged tonsils which could do with coming out. I’ll put him on the list for the hospital. Would you take a cancellation if one comes up?”
“Of course Doctor thank you very much”
A quiet bus ride home as my Mum felt guilty about doubting me and I wondered what hospital was going to be like. I felt better about it after lunch and by evening time fear of the hospital was something to be dealt with in the distant future.
The next day returning to school armed with a sick note from my Mum Mr Anderson our teacher was very sympathetic.
“Pay attention class, Michael will have to go to hospital for an operation, so we will all make get well soon cards for him when that happens”
I felt great – the centre of attention lots of sympathy. Later walking home for lunch I relished the thought of my future as a celebrity in school.
After lunch there was plenty of time before I had to get back to school so I was listening to Workers Playtime on the radio when the doorbell rang.
“Mrs. White? I’ve come from the hospital for Michael, we’ve had a cancellation and if it’s all right with you I can take him in my car now”
“Oh” said my Mum “that was quick, can I come as well?”
“Of course all he will need is a pair of Pyjamas and his toothbrush”
Have you ever had the feeling that things are getting out of control - I was beginning to get it then!
In the hospital I was taken to the ward and a doctor took a blood sample, OW that hurt! and a nurse told me that I had to wee in a bottle. Would I have to do that all the time I was in there. Didn’t they have toilets?
My Mum went home after promising to come back later. The hospital was a busy place and quite interesting in a way. Dinner was served about five and I ate quite well.
I was to have surgery the following day so there was no breakfast for me. When it was time I was prepped then transferred to a trolley and taken to the theatre. In a woozy state I just let things happen. The anaesthetist stood over me,
“You’ll feel a little Prat as the needle goes in, then when you wake up you’ll soon be talking and sounding like a parrot”
On reflection, it was a bit extreme just to get a day off school. I certainly did feel a little Prat and I don’t know about talking like a parrot, I felt as sick as one!

Post subject: Re: A DAY OFF SCHOOL
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:57 pm 
Graduate

I'd just like to point out that the word 'prat' was not used by me, the word I used rhymed with TRICK. Censors Eh?

Post subject: Re: A DAY OFF SCHOOL
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:36 pm 

It wasn’t me either :greetings :lol:

There is an ‘automatic’ vulgarity ‘censor’ in operation on the forum

https://www.paphospeople.com/ppforum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7007

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body