Mr-Woo Chinese and Thai Restaurant

The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:41 pm 

NEW UK / CYPRUS Double tax agreement

This may be of interest to many members, especially if you have a military pension or a civil service pension...…I know it does affect me due to a Military Pension BUT it works to my advantage :banana

Cyprus and the United Kingdom recently signed a new double tax agreement (18 March 2018). Once it has been ratified by both parties, it will replace the current agreement, which dates back to 1974 and is one of the oldest tax agreements still in force in Cyprus.

MAIN POINTS
Personal remuneration
Most of the new provisions on personal remuneration do not alter the existing arrangements. One exception is the taxation of pensions paid in respect of national or local government service (eg, pensions paid to retired civil servants or military personnel). Under the 1974 agreement, all pensions, including those payable in respect of government service, are taxed only in the country in which the recipient is resident.. Under the new agreement, pensions payable in respect of national or local government service will be taxable only in the country from which they are paid, unless the recipient is both a national and resident of the other country, in which case the pension is taxable only in the country in which the recipient is resident. This aligns the provisions of the Cyprus-UK agreement regarding such pensions with the United Kingdom's other double tax agreements

Offshore activities
The new agreement includes comprehensive provisions regulating the taxation of offshore hydrocarbon exploration and exploitation activities, which are intended to ensure that each state's taxation rights in respect of offshore activities are preserved in circumstances where they might otherwise be limited by other provisions of the agreement, such as those dealing with permanent establishment and business profits. Special rules are required because of the short duration of some of these activities.
A resident of one country undertaking activities offshore in the other country for more than 30 days in any 12-month period in connection with the exploration or exploitation of the seabed, subsoil or natural resources is deemed to be carrying out business in that other country through a permanent establishment.
Profits from offshore supply and transport operations connected with the exploration or exploitation of the seabed, subsoil or natural resources of a country are taxable only in that country. The corresponding article also includes rules for determining when the 30-day threshold has been exceeded in respect of offshore activities undertaken by associated enterprises.
Salaries and wages earned by a resident of one country employed in an offshore zone of the other are taxable in the country in which the activities are carried out. However, if the employer is not resident in the country in which the activities take place, and the employment is for less than 30 days in any 12-month period, remuneration is taxable only in the country in which the individual is resident.
Salaries, wages and similar remuneration derived from employment aboard ships or aircraft engaged in offshore supply and similar activities are taxable in the country in which the individual is resident.
Gains derived by a resident of one country from the alienation of exploration or exploitation rights, or of property situated in the other country and used in connection with the exploration or exploitation of the seabed, subsoil or natural resources situated in the second country, or shares deriving more than half of their value directly or indirectly from such rights or such property, may be taxed in the second country.

Elimination of double taxation
In the United Kingdom, Cyprus tax that is payable, whether directly or by deduction, on profits, income or chargeable gains from sources within Cyprus will be credited against any UK tax computed by reference to the same amounts. The profits of Cyprus-based permanent establishments of UK-resident companies and dividends paid by Cyprus-resident companies to UK-resident companies are exempt from UK tax, subject to satisfying the conditions for exemption under UK law. In the case of a non-exempt dividend paid to a UK-resident company which controls 10% or more of the voting power of the company paying the dividend, relief from Cyprus taxation will be given under the credit method, taking account of the Cyprus tax payable by the company on the profits out of which the dividend is paid.
In Cyprus, credit will be given for UK tax payable, up to the amount of the Cyprus tax on the income concerned.

Entitlement to benefits
The new agreement includes a principal purpose test anti-abuse rule identical to that set out in Paragraphs 1 and 4 of Article 7 of the Multilateral Convention to Implement Tax Treaty-Related Measures to Prevent Base Erosion and Profit Shifting.

Entry into force and termination
The new agreement will enter into force once both countries have completed their respective domestic ratification procedures. It will take effect in Cyprus from the beginning of the following calendar year. In the United Kingdom it will take effect from the same date in respect of taxes withheld at source. In respect of corporation tax, it will take effect from April 1 following its entry into force and in respect of income and capital gains tax it will take effect from April 6 following its entry into force.

The agreement will remain in force until terminated by either country via written notice of termination through diplomatic channels at least six months before the end of any calendar year, but no earlier than five years after the agreement has entered into force. The agreement will cease to have effect in Cyprus from the beginning of the following calendar year. In the United Kingdom, it will cease to have effect:
•six months after the date on which the notice of termination is given for taxes withheld at source;
•from April 1 following the date on which the notice of termination is given for corporation tax; and
•from April 6 following the date on which the notice of termination is given for income tax and capital gains tax.

Comment
The current tax agreement between Cyprus and the United Kingdom is one of the oldest that is still in force in Cyprus. The changes introduced will have little direct effect on the tax liability of most taxpayers, but the modernisation of the agreement will provide clarity.

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:48 am 

Going to make this a 'sticky' for a while. If you have a military or civil service pension IT WILL affect future Tax Returns

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:06 pm 

Updated from Nigel Howarth

EARLIER this month Cyprus and the United Kingdom signed a revised double taxation convention, based on the OECD Model Convention for the avoidance of double taxation on income and capital.
(The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) is an intergovernmental economic organisation with 35 member countries, founded in 1961 to stimulate economic progress and world trade.)
The new convention will enter into force once both countries have completed their respective domestic ratification procedures and will replace the current agreement, which was signed in June 1974.
Tax on pensions
Under the provisions of the 1974 agreement the income received by UK nationals resident in Cyprus from their UK pensions and annuities is taxed by the Cypriot authorities and therefore exempted from UK tax.
The changes made to the 2018 convention to conform to the OECD model result in changes to the tax arrangements of some UK nationals resident in Cyprus.
[b]Under the new convention those in receipt of UK state pensions, private pensions and annuities will continue to pay tax on the income they receive to the Cypriot authorities as before[/b].

Government pensions
However, those in receipt of pensions paid by Her Majesty’s Government (HMG), local authorities and ‘political sub-divisions’ will be taxed on the income they receive from those pensions by Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC) in the UK.

This will impact pensions received by retired UK civil servants, armed forces personnel, NHS staff, teachers, local government employees, police etc. whose pensions will be taxed by HMRC once the 2018 convention has been implemented.

From the correspondence I’ve received this change will come as good news to some and bad news to others.

In some cases the change will result in them paying no tax in Cyprus or UK as their income falls below the tax thresholds in both countries.

Some will pay about the same, while others with large pensions and those with HMG pensions and other income that is taxed in the UK (E.g. from UK property rental) will pay more tax.

I’ve also received many angry emails, predominately from retired armed forces personnel resident in Cyprus, demanding to know why the UK is discriminating against those who served their country in the public service.

I have reviewed several UK Tax Treaties including Albania, Bahrain, Canada, Japan and Spain; all of them require HMG pension income to be taxed by HMRC.

Options

I suggest those who may be negatively affected by the change to consult a UK Tax consultancy to see what options are available (if any) to legally reduce their tax liability.

Interestingly the 2018 convention concerning Government Service and pensions (pages 17-18) states “However, such pensions and other similar remuneration shall be taxable only in the other Contracting State if the individual is a resident of, and a national of, that State.”

http://www.news.cyprus-property-buyers.com/2018/04/26/tax-shock-for-british-residents-in-cyprus/id=00154090

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:07 am 
Star

If anyone is interested here is the government official document .

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... /UK-CY.pdf

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:45 pm 
Rock Star

This going to upset some people when they don't pay tax, let alone double!

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:12 am 

Under the old / existing scheme I would be taxed on my Military Pension, Private Pensions and State Pension under the Cyprus Tax System and pay tax since I would be over the allowance :tickedoff

Under the ‘new’ scheme it works out better for me.
I would be taxed on my Military Pension under the UK Tax System and taxed on my Private Pensions and State Pension under the Cyprus Tax System. Since I would be under the allowance both in the UK and Cyprus, I now won’t pay any tax :banana

HOWEVER

Things might get a little complicated for the Scots….from April this year, Scotland had the power to set the income tax rate for anyone living in Scotland. (not sure how this affects ex-pat Scots).
The income tax rates in Scotland are now ‘different’ from those in the rest of the UK. Scotland doesn’t have a separate ‘double taxation’ agreement with Cyprus.
Eg Will Scots living in Scotland receive their Military Pensions and State Pension from Scotland or the UK Government?
Will Scots ex-pats pay income tax on their Military / Government / Civil Service Pensions to Scotland or the UK Government?
What about Scottish ex-pats who no longer have a Scottish / UK address
So many questions need to be addressed :grin:

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:50 pm 
Idol

I'm in the same fortunate position as you. At present all pensions/income assessed in Cyprus so pay tax here, but in future local government pension assessed in UK but just below threshold while private pension and other bits assessed in Cyprus but also below threshold so I will no longer pay tax either :sunny

Thank you Mr UK Inland Revenue!

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:35 pm 
Top of the pops

SNAP :banana :banana :uk :celebrate :celebrate

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:59 am 
Master

Just a thought. If UK citizens resident and paying income tax in Cyprus and now the UK Inland Revenue on their civil servants pensions, now lose the their "UK Non-resident Status" and therefore make them liable to UK taxes on the sale of Cyprus property, inheritance tax and Probate?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:27 pm 

>Clive..interesting thought. I believe I read something which indicated that this move was to bring Cyprus in line with the "normal" treatment of such occupational pensions which already exists in many countries.

I wonder if this general policy of taxing such pensions in UK is partially intended to bring those who can currently avoid taxes such as IHT through having a watertight Domicile of Choice (i.e. in this case Cyprus) closer to the clutches of the UK taxman for IHT purposes when the time comes.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:05 pm 
Idol

There is a discussion about this on a Paphos Facebook forum and one poster claims he has spoken to the IR in the UK and has been assured that this change will not be brought into effect retrospectively. In other words if one is already paying tax to Cyprus on a UK government pension that person will continue doing so and the new ruling is only for new immigrants to Cyprus).

I am not sure he is correct - any comments one way or another?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:32 pm 

Old Twister wrote:
There is a discussion about this on a Paphos Facebook forum and one poster claims he has spoken to the IR in the UK and has been assured that this change will not be brought into effect retrospectively. In other words if one is already paying tax to Cyprus on a UK government pension that person will continue doing so and the new ruling is only for new immigrants to Cyprus).

Personally…and I emphasise…personally, I think this is a load of rubbish but happy to be proved wrong.
I would all depend on where you pay tax just now, whether or not you are registered and many other factors….I would defer to the original post which came from the UK Gov

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:38 pm 
Idol

M.A.D wrote:
Old Twister wrote:

Personally…and I emphasise…personally, I think this is a load of rubbish but happy to be proved wrong.
I would all depend on where you pay tax just now, whether or not you are registered and many other factors….I would defer to the original post which came from the UK Gov

Update on my earlier post. Somebody else has now said that they too have just contacted the IR in the UK and had it confirmed that it IS retrospective which totally contradicts the earlier statement.
Perhaps retrospective is the wrong word - but I can't think of the right one, but I'm sure you know what I mean ;)

I hope it is retrospective because splitting my local government and private pension means I will in future pay nothing in Income Tax. :banana Sorry for those who are disadvantaged though.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:28 pm 

Maybe you mean IRRESPECTIVE :grin:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:32 pm 
Major

Further to the OP. I read yesterday that there was to be a concession on the double tax agreement.

A 5 year concession to allow people to choose where you wished your pensions to be taxed, which was to include Government pensions.

If I read correctly you had to make an election to HMRC after the 1st January 2019. This would run till 2024.

Just wondered if any other member had seen this article or similar.

Jim.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:33 pm 

Here is the update we published on 14 December
http://www.paphospeople.com/ppforum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34068&p=277128#p277128

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:40 pm 
Star

By reading on here about the changes in double taxation , I know we have the choice to choose where we are taxed .

Has the uk tax office written to any members to confirm this ?

I have had no notice .

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:47 pm 
Top of the pops

Number6 wrote:
By reading on here about the changes in double taxation , I know we have the choice to choose where we are taxed .

Has the uk tax office written to any members to confirm this ?

I have had no notice .

When I queried this with with my Accountant that does my yearly tax returns (she is english married to a Cypriot) she asked me to sign form and send by registered letter to UK revenue, that I would be taxed in Cyprus for my 2018 tax return, i will find out next year at this time when she does my 2019 tax return.

( I had a nice surprise this week when I got a cheque back from Cyprus Tax for overpaid tax in 2012 Euro 502.44 with interest came to Euro 588.90 ) I like suprises like that !!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:02 pm 
Top of the pops

I had a less pleasant surprise when I got a tax demand for 2012 of over €600 recently. This was the year my mother died and I was out of the country and missed a payment which I then forgot about. Easy enough to fix as you can pay the outstanding amount on line without the inquest or interest demands you would get from the UK tax authorities in the same circumstances. I sometimes wonder if they are just happy that someone actually pays tax here. :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:14 am 
Star

I will take it as a no then , nobody has been notified by the uk tax office ?

A bit like the waspi women then , no official communication about it , you just have to find out yourself.

What I don’t get is some people say they will be better off , surely if one pension is taxed in the uk and another pension is taxed in Cyprus , you would still have to declare your world wide income on your tax form ?

Last edited by Number6 on Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:41 am 

NO As I understand you only need to declare worldwide income if you are only paying tax in 1 country.

My tax person says she will NOT be declaring my service pension on my Cyprus return and NOT declaring my private & state pension on the UK return

I will be below both tax thresholds

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:30 pm 
Rock Star

M.A.D wrote:
NO As I understand you only need to declare worldwide income if you are only paying tax in 1 country.

My tax person says she will NOT be declaring my service pension on my Cyprus return and NOT declaring my private & state pension on the UK return

I will be below both tax thresholds

Not correct, unfortunately.
In Cyprus if you are "Tax Registered" you pay tax on your world-wide income. This includes
all pensions (State, Service, or Private).
You can avoid ALL tax in UK by being taxed in Cyprus, and opting to benefit from the Double Taxation (DT) agreement between the two countries.
I went into all this myself, but there is no such DT agreement between Israel and Cyprus.
Amos.

Last edited by exodus on Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:32 pm 

This is the first post I wrote on the subject and it still stands

NEW UK / CYPRUS Double tax agreement

This may be of interest to many members, especially if you have a military pension or a civil service pension...…I know it does affect me due to a Military Pension BUT it works to my advantage :banana

Cyprus and the United Kingdom recently signed a new double tax agreement (18 March 2018). Once it has been ratified by both parties, it will replace the current agreement, which dates back to 1974 and is one of the oldest tax agreements still in force in Cyprus.

MAIN POINTS
Personal remuneration
Most of the new provisions on personal remuneration do not alter the existing arrangements. One exception is the taxation of pensions paid in respect of national or local government service (eg, pensions paid to retired civil servants or military personnel). Under the 1974 agreement, all pensions, including those payable in respect of government service, are taxed only in the country in which the recipient is resident.. Under the new agreement, pensions payable in respect of national or local government service will be taxable only in the country from which they are paid, unless the recipient is both a national and resident of the other country, in which case the pension is taxable only in the country in which the recipient is resident. This aligns the provisions of the Cyprus-UK agreement regarding such pensions with the United Kingdom's other double tax agreements

Offshore activities
The new agreement includes comprehensive provisions regulating the taxation of offshore hydrocarbon exploration and exploitation activities, which are intended to ensure that each state's taxation rights in respect of offshore activities are preserved in circumstances where they might otherwise be limited by other provisions of the agreement, such as those dealing with permanent establishment and business profits. Special rules are required because of the short duration of some of these activities.
A resident of one country undertaking activities offshore in the other country for more than 30 days in any 12-month period in connection with the exploration or exploitation of the seabed, subsoil or natural resources is deemed to be carrying out business in that other country through a permanent establishment.
Profits from offshore supply and transport operations connected with the exploration or exploitation of the seabed, subsoil or natural resources of a country are taxable only in that country. The corresponding article also includes rules for determining when the 30-day threshold has been exceeded in respect of offshore activities undertaken by associated enterprises.
Salaries and wages earned by a resident of one country employed in an offshore zone of the other are taxable in the country in which the activities are carried out. However, if the employer is not resident in the country in which the activities take place, and the employment is for less than 30 days in any 12-month period, remuneration is taxable only in the country in which the individual is resident.
Salaries, wages and similar remuneration derived from employment aboard ships or aircraft engaged in offshore supply and similar activities are taxable in the country in which the individual is resident.
Gains derived by a resident of one country from the alienation of exploration or exploitation rights, or of property situated in the other country and used in connection with the exploration or exploitation of the seabed, subsoil or natural resources situated in the second country, or shares deriving more than half of their value directly or indirectly from such rights or such property, may be taxed in the second country.

Elimination of double taxation
In the United Kingdom, Cyprus tax that is payable, whether directly or by deduction, on profits, income or chargeable gains from sources within Cyprus will be credited against any UK tax computed by reference to the same amounts. The profits of Cyprus-based permanent establishments of UK-resident companies and dividends paid by Cyprus-resident companies to UK-resident companies are exempt from UK tax, subject to satisfying the conditions for exemption under UK law. In the case of a non-exempt dividend paid to a UK-resident company which controls 10% or more of the voting power of the company paying the dividend, relief from Cyprus taxation will be given under the credit method, taking account of the Cyprus tax payable by the company on the profits out of which the dividend is paid.
In Cyprus, credit will be given for UK tax payable, up to the amount of the Cyprus tax on the income concerned.

Entitlement to benefits
The new agreement includes a principal purpose test anti-abuse rule identical to that set out in Paragraphs 1 and 4 of Article 7 of the Multilateral Convention to Implement Tax Treaty-Related Measures to Prevent Base Erosion and Profit Shifting.

Entry into force and termination
The new agreement will enter into force once both countries have completed their respective domestic ratification procedures. It will take effect in Cyprus from the beginning of the following calendar year. In the United Kingdom it will take effect from the same date in respect of taxes withheld at source. In respect of corporation tax, it will take effect from April 1 following its entry into force and in respect of income and capital gains tax it will take effect from April 6 following its entry into force.

The agreement will remain in force until terminated by either country via written notice of termination through diplomatic channels at least six months before the end of any calendar year, but no earlier than five years after the agreement has entered into force. The agreement will cease to have effect in Cyprus from the beginning of the following calendar year. In the United Kingdom, it will cease to have effect:
•six months after the date on which the notice of termination is given for taxes withheld at source;
•from April 1 following the date on which the notice of termination is given for corporation tax; and
•from April 6 following the date on which the notice of termination is given for income tax and capital gains tax.

Comment
The current tax agreement between Cyprus and the United Kingdom is one of the oldest that is still in force in Cyprus. The changes introduced will have little direct effect on the tax liability of most taxpayers, but the modernisation of the agreement will provide clarity.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:47 pm 
Star

Thanks Dave .

Another thing that is puzzling me is , if you want to have all pensions taxed in Cyprus you have to send off the declaration . So to have uk government sourced pensions taxed in the uk do you just do nothing ?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:18 pm 

I sent an email to the Equiniti Paymaster (Military pensions) to ask if I needed to inform HMRC or if they would.
I got a reply that HMRC had already contacted them and given them a NO TAX code to use for me

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:04 am 

EXTRACT from High Commission letter (Check their facebook / web page for full details)

BHC Update
“The UK and Cyprus signed a Double Taxation Convention on 22 March 2018 in Nicosia (“the 2018 Convention”).
Amendment to the 2018 Convention
The UK government has agreed with the government of Cyprus to amend the 2018 treaty in respect of government service pensions. The amendment will allow individuals to choose which basis of taxation they want to apply to their government service pensions. This choice can be made from 1 January 2019 and will expire on 31 December 2024. If you want your government service pension to be taxed in the country that pays the pension.
You do not need to make an election. However, you MAY need to notify the relevant tax authority of your taxable income. So, if you are a Cyprus resident in receipt of a UK government service pension, you MAY need to let HMRC know about your pension income.”

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 4:58 pm 
Graduate

Hallo. As a once again resident of Cyprus drawing a UK non-Government pension, will I be taxed in Cyprus ? Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:13 am 

The Cypriot tax regime offers varied potential benefits for UK nationals and tax residents, but the specifics of your tax obligations and declaration requirements will depend on several factors, such as whether you retain assets in the UK and the type of visa or residence permit you relocate under.

As with every international move, assessing your tax position and examining the options to restructure, transfer or retain income sources and investments is important to ensure you take advantage of all the available exemptions and allowances.

For example, British expats retiring to Cyprus long-term can opt to either pay a flat rate of 5% income tax against their foreign-source pension income over an exempt allowance of €3,420 or pay tax based on the normal income tax brackets – which could make a sizeable difference to your annual tax burden.

All you need to know here :-
https://chasebuchanan.com/tax-implications-of-moving-to-cyprus-from-the-uk/#:~:text=For%20example%2C%20British%20expats%20retiring,to%20your%20annual%20tax%20burden.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:02 pm 
Master

Definitely need proper financial advice - if properly set up at the beginning you could save yourself a lot of tax.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body