The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Car registrations
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:22 am 
Top of the pops

Seemed to have noticed recently a larger number of cars with new registration plates. ie m registrations and car first registrations as far back as the 90's

What is the value in doing this? or is it compulsory when a car is sold/moved on?

Live your dreams.

Post subject: Re: Car registrations
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:55 am 
Junior

My car is 2004 but when it went in for its MOT I was advised to get the up to date number plates
as the old ones were illegal.
Got them changed in a place called Drousia in Mesogia Road..

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:35 am 
Top of the pops

I was told a few years ago that in order to pass the MOT all cars had to have the new style reg plates so they can be read by ANPR cameras but hey this is Cyprus so who knows......? :lol:

There are a few places licensed to sell the new plates anyway and they're reasonably priced - I think I paid €20 at Demou Bros 4 yrs ago.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:30 am 
Top of the pops

tanny wrote:
Seemed to have noticed recently a larger number of cars with new registration plates. ie m registrations and car first registrations as far back as the 90's
New plate numbers with old first registration dates suggest second hand imports. Cyprus imports large numbers of second hand cars from Japan, where their MOT rules can make it more cost effective to replace the car than to take the MOT. A car not previously registered in Cyprus will have a new plate number.

I don't believe there is any requirement to replace old style plates with new ones on private cars. Certainly neither of mine have the new plates and both have been MOT tested. Trucks and double cabins are a different matter and are required to have the new plates.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:17 am 
Master

An old article (2013) but it explains how the new system works:

ALTHOUGH not legally required to, motorists are opting to change their existing licence plates to the new alphabetical system, according to Transport Minister Tasos Mitsopoulos.

New vehicle registration plates began circulation at the beginning of June this year and all newly-registered vehicles will be fitted with the new plates, which will have to conform to strict guidelines regarding font and size.

Plates already fitted to cars will not have to be changed unless they are damaged and need replacing or if the owner of the vehicle wishes to change them.

“It would be harsh to demand over half a million people change their licence plate numbers, incurring costs, during this tough financial period,” Mitsopoulos told the Cyprus Mail. Despite this however, he said many motorists were themselves opting for the change.

Unlike saloon cars however, taxis, vans and motorbikes must obtain the new plates by the end of the year or face a fine. This is for a variety of different reasons, according to the minister.

He said taxi drivers had asked for the new plates as a requirement to help put an end to counterfeiting by illegal taxi drivers, something which was rife, Mitsopoulos said.

As far as trucks and vans were concerned, he said ‘A’ licensed trucks and vans would carry different plates to ‘B’ licensed in order to help authorities differentiate between the two. This is why they must all be changed, he said.

“’A’ licensed trucks are permitted to carry any goods, usually transporting products for different companies while ‘B’ licensed trucks and vans are only allowed to transport goods belonging to the company the vehicles are registered to,” Mitsopoulos said.

In reference to motorbikes, the minister said police had asked that they all have new plates because many owners had put tiny, illegible plates on their vehicles. “High powered motorbikes often carry small or no plates at all and so for safety purposes it was decided that they should also be forced to carry the new European standard plates,” the minister said.

In addition motorcycles and mopeds plates are coloured white and fitted to the rear only. Those fitted to taxis are yellow and hire cars red.

The new plates will be in the same format as previous plates but between the letters on the left and the numbers on the right, there will be a two digit number signifying the month of registration and below that, a two digit number signifying the year of registration in smaller font.

Front and rear plates will both be white for new saloon-car licence plates as opposed to previously when the front was white and the rear yellow. The size of the plate will depend on the size of the vehicle and plates can only be issued by shops licensed by the Road Transport Department (RTD). The RTD has issued these shops with the specific font and sizes which need to be issued depending on the vehicle.

The change from the old system according to head of the RTD, Soteris Kolettas was to only use letters from the Latin alphabet which correspond to the Greek alphabet and to meet European standards relating to size and font. The twelve letters which will be used are A, B, E, H, K, M, N, P, T, X, Y and Z with M being the current letter.

Fewer then the required 1,000 vehicles were registered under the previous letter, L, but due to it not being part of the new twelve letters, on June 3 when the new plates were being issued, it was moved to the next eligible letter.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:13 pm 
Rock Star

Tremigirl wrote:
Got them changed in a place called Drousia in Mesogia Road..

Droushiotis on the Mesogi Road ? :lol:

http://www.cypruscarparts.com/listings/ ... sories-ltd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:03 pm 
Rock Star

I have an older car BAT reg, I don't need to change the plates but, when they are replaced it has to be with the new type, well this is how I read the rules a couple of years back.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body