Mr-Woo Chinese and Thai Restaurant

The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:41 am 

Illicit streaming highlights cost of legal viewing

WHEN hundreds of television sets in Cyprus went blank, people first wondered what it was that went wrong. Perhaps they checked their innocuous device that so cheaply allowed them to view hundreds of channels they technically hadn’t paid for.
Others had already seen the news on January 9 that combined efforts between authorities in Cyprus, Greece, Bulgaria and the Netherlands had shut down an illegal IPTV (internet protocol television) stream and realised the game was up.
This concerns none other than the infamous set-top TV boxes ‘unlocked’ to stream subscription content at almost no cost, that have now been rendered useless.
Although initial reports outlined this was a Dreambox network that had been clamped down on, police specified that the majority of cases in Cyprus concern android boxes.
“The Dreambox is an older technology that uses satellite, whereas android boxes use internet,” deputy police spokesman Stelios Stylianou told the Sunday Mail.
Providers illegally transmitted over 1,000 cable channels such as Nova, Sky Cinema, Sky Sports and Bein Sports, to more than half a million subscribers in Europe by preloading all the channels on the device.
Prices ranged from as little as €10 to €20 per month, a far cry from Cyta’s package for instance, which offers just over 80 channels for €45 or €54 per month for personal use, depending if someone uses the telecoms internet service or not.
In Cyprus, Cyta has located around 500 persons who have been using illegal devices that will be called to provide statements to police, Stylianou said.
It is still not clear how many of these were using the boxes for personal use in their homes and how many for commercial, in cafes and bars, he added.
Those who run businesses such as pubs, cafeterias or bars who stream TV – primary football games, for their customers have to dig much deeper in their pocket to pay a legal subscription.
Cyta, for instance charges €178 per month for one set top box for commercial use. Two devices push up the cost to €275 per month and three costs €317 monthly.
In addition to this, a number of telecoms companies on the island have exclusive broadcasting rights to different football team matches, costing firms millions of euro per year, that are then passed on to consumers through subscriptions, director at Cyprus’ telecommunications regulatory authority Neophytos Papadopoulos told the Sunday Mail.
This means establishments must pay a hefty sum of money to different companies such as Cyta and Primetel if they want to showcase all local games.

Read more:-
http://cyprus-mail.com/2018/01/21/illicit-streaming-highlights-cost-legal-viewing-cypriot-consumers/

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:21 am 
Rock Star

People are miffed by the loss of TV and blame the people who sold them the package, surely they are not that Naïve to think they were getting a good deal, people in the UK are paying for Sky at anything from £58 upwards and they were getting it for buttons, get real they knew it was dodgy and to say this did not well !!!!.

I am one of the lucky ones that have the Android MINIX that still works, I know it is not legal, as one other friend said, we all want something for nothing, it is human nature.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:55 pm 
Major

Its only expensive in the UK if you want sports and movies, I pay £22 a month and get most channels in the UK.

Gary.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:08 pm 
Forum Admin

luckily enough , our business model does not rely on football watching punters,
so it has no effect on our business, though many other places rely soley on football punters to keep themselves going,
it will hit them the hardest.
lots will have to bite the bullet and get in cytavision or primetel TV..
though this will be a costly outlay ..
You can just see vans full of police sitting outside bars at 3.00pm on a saturday , waiting just to walk in and WHAM !
there goes your years profit+ , on a single fine ..

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:19 pm 
Rock Star

Headless Chickens time!
:lol:
Amos.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:54 pm 
Top of the pops

lowvoltage wrote:
People are miffed by the loss of TV and blame the people who sold them the package, surely they are not that Naïve to think they were getting a good deal, people in the UK are paying for Sky at anything from £58 upwards and they were getting it for buttons, get real they knew it was dodgy and to say this did not well !!!!.

I am one of the lucky ones that have the Android MINIX that still works, I know it is not legal, as one other friend said, we all want something for nothing, it is human nature.

Aren't you a bit like "the pot calling the kettle black" with your comments?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:58 pm 
Rock Star

Wavy Dave - You obviously not read mu post correctly, I am not calling anyone and I admit I am using an illegal box so retract your comments.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:05 pm 
Top of the pops

low voltage, you telling people to "get real"? Suggest you retract your comment!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:07 pm 
Rock Star

In the words of a great man " that's another in fine mess you have got us into Stanley "
Must agree it is a muddle.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:14 am 
Major

For heavens sake. Yes all us ex pats know full well if we have a box of whatever type we are streaming channels from the uk which are in current law illeagal.

Now it is up to the individuals among us to decide if we have a conscience about the boxes legality or not.. For my part not a jot. I think if an option to receive what we have now was available legally then a large majority of us would take it, but it's not.

In all probability at some point over the next few days or maybe longer it will be all our choices to either stick with our current supplier or twist and go elsewhere. No matter what we all decide one salient point is that iptv in some form is here to stay, end of.

For our part we will wait and see for a while and I will just have to whip the wife at scrabble for a few more days.

Jim.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:28 am 
Major

Just to add if you read all of the link to the article Dave posted a source said another option would come onto the market and he would not be paying CYTA for their subscription services.

To be honest SKY has a lot to answer for. It's whole premise when it first started was English top league football and the bloody Simpsons. God help us. But it worked it made losses but slowly gained subscribers. Time will tell if that works out going forward.

As I said before you will never stop iptv people will always go for a cheaper option.

Jim

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:04 pm 
Rock Star

Wavy D, You are trying to twist my words, but I will explain for you in case you are a bit confused.

All I am saying those who are moaning about not getting TV People who have illegal boxes and are not aware they are not legal need to wake up and smell the roses, I cannot believe that users of such boxes do not know they are getting TV illegally again it is a matter of conscience.

I got mine from Premier electrical., I was told it was via the internet, I am aware that I am not paying for Sky as those in the UK, do I feel guilty NO I do not, its human nature move on.

So it is not calling kettle black etc..

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body