The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: UK NHS
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:21 pm 
Rock Star

I saw this in todays Mail online, my daughter is a Sister in Derby Hospital and she was telling me about this last year, now it is going to happen and will have far reaching effects with all of us.

www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article.../E ... tment.html

Post subject: Re: UK NHS
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:44 pm 
Rock Star

Link doesn't work. :-(

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:03 pm 
Rock Star

Thanks Efsie, I have copied directly from the article.

Ex-pat pensioners denied NHS treatment
by TIM UTTON, Daily Mail
British pensioners living abroad for more than half the year are to be denied free Health Service treatment.
Such ex-patriates will now have to pay for NHS care back in Britain no matter how much they have contributed in tax and National Insurance over the years.
The Government move will hit thousands who have retired to the Spanish costas or southern France.
Although ex-patriates stand to lose out, the move is largely a response to abuse of the Health Service by asylum seekers and illegal immigrants.
Thousands of so - called 'health tourists' enjoy free treatment, putting a huge strain on the NHS and making British patients wait for beds.
Ministers have pledged to crack down on this fraud, using a rule made in 1989 that those who have spent three months abroad have to pay for treatment in the UK.
The Department of Health has no figures for the number of people who have been made to pay under this rule - evidence that the legislation has not been enforced.
The period abroad is now being extended to six months - but officials will start to vigorously enforce it and pensioners will have to pay in advance for care. Non-pensioners living abroad will also be denied free NHS care, but the 'disqualifying' period has not yet been set.
An Age Concern spokesman said: "Pensioners are going to be very concerned about this because of the implications it has, particularly for long-term health care or those who have terminal illnesses and need to be near family members back in Britain.
"It will also force them into making choices about whether they have treatment in Spain - which ironically would be free under European Union law - or come back home to their family and be forced to pay."
Up to 500,000 British pensioners are thought to live in other EU states.
In May, the Centre for Policy Studies revealed that abuse of the NHS by asylum seekers is so widespread it is becoming known as the 'International Health Service'.
The influential think-tank warned that some 'health tourists' have even run up bills for treatment of £50,000 which the taxpayer is left to shoulder.
The total cost of HIV treatment and care in 2001 was £165million but last year it soared to £ 345million. An influx of asylum seekers with HIV is thought to be to blame.
Tory health spokesman Liam Fox said: "There could be no clearer betrayal of hardworking British citizens than to deprive our own pensioners of the use of the NHS to which they have contributed throughout their lives at a time when health tourists and illegal asylum seekers are making use of these very facilities."
Health Minister John Hutton said the Government is using powers brought in by the Tories. Doubling the period to six months strikes 'a much fairer balance', he added.
Health officials said guidelines on NHS charges will be issued this week along with consultation on tightening the rules for visitors.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... z54H58TUhd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:33 am 
Rock Star

Works now. Many thanks. :congrats

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:59 am 
Star

I think this is an old article , up to date articles have a date line like attached .

U.K. Health service have already confirmed pensioners are OK to go back to the uk for treatments .

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:58 pm 
Master

its the daily mail!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:53 pm 
Top of the pops

toonarmy9752 wrote:
its the daily mail!!!!!

:smilielol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:00 pm 
Top of the pops

lowvoltage wrote:
I saw this in todays Mail online, my daughter is a Sister in Derby Hospital and she was telling me about this last year, now it is going to happen and will have far reaching effects with all of us.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... tment.html

Are they still using 'over-priced bank/agency nurses' at Derby ? I know of some who either left the NHS or 'moonlighted' to get enhanced pay.
I see that Nottingham, at least, brought catering, laundry etc. back to 'in-house' last year ... due to whispers about Carillion. They are now due to revise the car parking contract now, too.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body