Mr-Woo Chinese and Thai Restaurant

The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:04 pm 
Rock Star

I Have just left my pensioner friend who was kindly invited out with some expats to a Restaurant in Coral Bay, the place was full with Expats, he tells the story better than I can.
Brits were moaning that it was not a traditional Xmas dinner, for example it was a buffet style though there was Turkey and other meats and veg, potatoes their version of stuffing, what made him angry people were complaining there was no Xmas pudding, there was several types of desert and trifles.
My reply was, this Cyprus and it is not their culture to do our type of Xmas dinner, you have two choices you can cook it at home yourself as I did or go back to the UK.
What is it about Brits who moan about the way of life here in Cyprus, why is it that Brits want Minnie UK in Cyprus.

This is Cyprus not the old British Empire

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:53 pm 
Star

Could not agree more :goodpost

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:34 pm 
Junior

I totally agree and what I cannot understand Is why people find an overseas destination they love and want to permanently live and try and turn it in to a mini Britain, surely you would want to become part of that countries ways and culture and to embrace it instead of expecting that particular country to fall into the ways of the country you have just left and after all I'm sure we wouldn't and don't like it when other overseas residents come to the UK and start demanding that we should change our ways to accommodate them.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:52 pm 
Top of the pops

Totally agree, if you want an authentic Christmas dinner in a foreign country then cook it yourself or go to a British owned restaurant who are doing one.
It was one of the things we most disliked about living in Cyprus and were not afraid to say so.
The ex pats who feel the need to interfere and turn everywhere they settle into a "nice part of Surrey" ( or wherever).
No attempt to meet the Cypriots (outside of the ones running the shops and tavernas) or embrace the culture, learn a bit of the language or try their food or drink (unless it is alcohol bought in the supermarket) .
We made British friends but we also made Cypriot, Russian, Bulgarian, American and Romanian ones and enjoyed them all along with their cultures.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:01 pm 

I must admit, I too am getting hacked off with moaning ex-pats :tickedoff

If you want a traditional Christmas lunch exactly like you have in the UK either

1. Go back to the UK for Christmas
2. Make it yourself
3. Open your own restaurant, there are plenty for sale!!

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:16 pm 
Forum Admin

or ........... you could have booked to eat at my Restaurant ?
Traditional Christmas dinner, all the things that go with it , homemade soup , pate ,
sprouts , stuffing (yorkshire pudding) turkey, cranberry, christmas pudding, mince pies.

Next week I am taking the wife out for a meze.. :greetings

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:43 pm 
Top of the pops

Yep totally agree - there are 2 airports to choose from - I'd have asked them which one they wanted a taxi booked for!!

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:24 am 

Well what can I say apart from , I have been here now 5 weeks and just enjoyed my 1st Christmas here complete with turkey crown and all the trimmings cooked by myself . It cracks me up when folk moan oh this isn't British enough !!! It's Cyprus get used to it if you can't find something here get relatives or friends to post it and yes I know post is slow but again get used to it . This is not the uk and besides if the uk is so great why are we not all there !! Cyprus is wonderful in a lot of ways , crap in others but I don't think I will be rushing back just cause I can't get primark etc . So stop moaning enjoy life and if you don't like it move back to the uk where you defo can't sit out on Christmas Day and have your Christmas dinner .

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:31 pm 

Niknak 45
:goodpost

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:29 pm 
Rock Star

If the restaurant in question had advertised and sold the meal as "traditional english" and had not served this then maybe the patrons were justified, was Xmas pud advertised and not served ? Was the restaurant English or Cypriot run ? Did the people read the menu prior to booking?
With the number of English run restaurants who were serving a traditioinal Xmas dinner I can't see why anyone should have been disappointed .
I am sorry if anyone didn't enjoy their Xmas dinner , because I sure did, :banana

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body