Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Jerusalem
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:52 pm 
Rock Star

SFD wrote:
Effsie wrote:
According to the US Energy Information Administration, the US imports 25 % of their oil, around 10.1 million barrels per day, from 70 different countries.

That is why they (like the UK) have been happy to invade Middle Eastern countries to try and secure the supply.

The US cannot afford to fall out with the countries that supply its oil, nor can it afford to break trade ties as it relies heavily on both imports and exports. If the US is out of the loop, counties like China will rub their hands with glee and the US risks devastating its own economy and causing damage that they will find it very difficult to repair after other countries step in to fill the breech.

https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=727&t=6

Quotes :- "The top five source countries of U.S. petroleum imports in 2016 were Canada, Saudi Arabia, Venezuela, Mexico, and Colombia". ..... + ..... "In 2016, the United States exported about 5.2 MMb/d of petroleum to 101 countries. Most of the exports were petroleum products. The resulting net imports (imports minus exports) of petroleum were about 4.9 MMb/d.".
Nothing to do with Middle East exports, in that instance. I'm sure those countries would like to increase their exports. ... Selective reporting ?

SFD, I am not sure whose selective reporting you are referring to.

I am assuming that you don't mean me, but, just in case, I Googled "how much oil does the US import" and took what appeared to be the relevant text from the top of the first result, which looked to be from an official US site and seemed to answer the question.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:31 pm 
Top of the pops

lowvoltage wrote:
When I read people going on about nuclear weapons what people read on the internet I shudder.
I was an NBC (Nuclear Biological Chemical) instructor in the Army, so I have a reasonable insight into the effect of Nuclear radiation and fall out so here are some facts that may give you a better insight into this deadly subject.

WW2 and the dropping of two nuclear bombs on Japan radiation dissipated after approx. 7 hours ( The rule for nuclear explosions is 7 times 7 times 7. After 7 hours, 90% of the radioactivity is gone), however the ground radiation remains for about 75 years.

Today, the background radiation in Hiroshima and Nagasaki is the same as the average amount of natural radiation present anywhere on Earth. It is not enough to affect human health.
Chernobyl released 200 times more radiation than the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombs combined, ask the poor Welsh farmers about the effects in Wales after Chernobyl and is still present today.

So going on about Nuclear weapons and use of them needs to be discussed carefully.

:agree It seems that one or two think a nuclear response by any country is a valid answer to everything, but it could
well put much of the world out of action altogether. I wonder if those "for" a nuclear strike in our region have ever read
the book by Neville Shute, called "On the Beach". Although it was written about 60 years ago, is more prevalent now than
it was then.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:46 pm 
Rock Star

Wavy Dave wrote:
I wonder if those "for" a nuclear strike in our region have ever read
the book by Neville Shute, called "On the Beach". Although it was written about 60 years ago, is more prevalent now than
it was then.

As an aside, Neville Shute used to live just round the corner from my grandmother!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:36 pm 
Top of the pops

Effsie wrote:
SFD wrote:
Effsie wrote:
According to the US Energy Information Administration, the US imports 25 % of their oil, around 10.1 million barrels per day, from 70 different countries.

That is why they (like the UK) have been happy to invade Middle Eastern countries to try and secure the supply.

The US cannot afford to fall out with the countries that supply its oil, nor can it afford to break trade ties as it relies heavily on both imports and exports. If the US is out of the loop, counties like China will rub their hands with glee and the US risks devastating its own economy and causing damage that they will find it very difficult to repair after other countries step in to fill the breech.

https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=727&t=6

Quotes :- "The top five source countries of U.S. petroleum imports in 2016 were Canada, Saudi Arabia, Venezuela, Mexico, and Colombia". ..... + ..... "In 2016, the United States exported about 5.2 MMb/d of petroleum to 101 countries. Most of the exports were petroleum products. The resulting net imports (imports minus exports) of petroleum were about 4.9 MMb/d.".
Nothing to do with Middle East exports, in that instance. I'm sure those countries would like to increase their exports. ... Selective reporting ?

SFD, I am not sure whose selective reporting you are referring to.

I am assuming that you don't mean me, but, just in case, I Googled "how much oil does the US import" and took what appeared to be the relevant text from the top of the first result, which looked to be from an official US site and seemed to answer the question.

I read the whole text ... which also gave the other side of the story, too ... which I added.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:53 am 
Rock Star

After reading the above thread, I will stay out of this argument, given it's the season of good will!

However, might I suggest that maybe it's time to call in a mediator?

Some would say (especially himself), that Tony Blair has some influence in the middle east, would that work do you think? ;)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:35 am 
Rock Star

Topgun wrote:
After reading the above thread, I will stay out of this argument, given it's the season of good will!

Some would say (especially himself), that Tony Blair has some influence in the middle east, would that work do you think? ;)

Yes, it probably would work. He is highly respected by many Countries in the Region.
Amos.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:42 am 
Rock Star

Topgun wrote:

Very unlikely IMHO. In addition to being in the pay of UAE, he has already been trying to ingratiate himself in Washington in an attempt to get the gig and has been meeting with Jared Kushner.

I cannot see that the Palestinians, along with other Middle Eastern countries, would entertain Blair's involvement.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:16 pm 
Top of the pops

exodus wrote:
Topgun wrote:

Yes, it probably would work. He is highly respected by many Countries in the Region.
Amos.

You have got to be joking surely? Amos, as you have settled here from Israel, you possibly are not aware of his mistaken belief in that Iraq had chemical weapons, so sided us with the USA, resulting in utter chaos in that region, and many of our service personnel being killed, when there were NO chemical weapons found at all. Blair has blood on his hands, and yet still ponces about the world stage as though he is a hero. His wife is no better either.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:46 pm 
Rock Star

Wavy Dave wrote:
exodus wrote:
Topgun wrote:

Amos.

You have got to be joking surely? Amos, as you have settled here from Israel, you possibly are not aware of his mistaken belief in that Iraq had chemical weapons, so sided us with the USA, resulting in utter chaos in that region, and many of our service personnel being killed, when there were NO chemical weapons found at all. Blair has blood on his hands, and yet still ponces about the world stage as though he is a hero. His wife is no better either.

Sorry! I did not realise he was so unpopular in the UK.
All I know is he is quite well respected in many parts of the Near/Middle East Region.
Someone said they doubted the Palestinians would go along with that - but to be honest the extremists residing amongst the Palestinians don't like anyone representing democracy.
Amos.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:49 pm 
Top of the pops

Quote:
especially the ones who can give the biggest envelopes to him and the Blairites......

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:56 pm 
Rock Star

exodus wrote:
to be honest the extremists residing amongst the Palestinians don't like anyone representing democracy.

What you cannot see is that really isn't any different to the Israelis.

If Israel respected democracy, it wouldn't have built all these settlements on land that isn't theirs!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:26 pm 
Rock Star

Effsie wrote:
exodus wrote:
to be honest the extremists residing amongst the Palestinians don't like anyone representing democracy.

What you cannot see is that really isn't any different to the Israelis.

If Israel respected democracy, it wouldn't have built all these settlements on land that isn't theirs!

You are missing the point. Most Palestinians want peace and a settlement. But they have been infiltrated by terrorists/extremists and the Leadership are scared of them.
When the Leadership bite the bullet and get rid of those terrorists then things will move.
But meantime we are subjected to almost daily attacks.
Would YOU try to negotiate with the likes of Hammas and Daeish who have vowed to try and destroy off the face of this earth the State of Israel?
They are backed/financed by Iran, as I am sure you will know.
Amos.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:14 pm 
Rock Star

Amos

Sorry, but I am not missing the point.

Various posters have listed faults (to put it mildly) on both the Palestinian and Israeli sides, but all you can see is how bad the Palestinians are.

You have repeatedly ignored direct questions about the many innocents killed by the Israeli military, which is your right, but, from where I am standing, it really does weaken your arguments. It doesn't matter how many times you say "we are subjected to daily attacks" (you live in Cyprus though, don't you?), it doesn't alter the fact that the Israeli response to people throwing stones is usually bullets and missiles.

Hiding behind the lunatic Trump really doesn't change any of this.

Lasting peace is going to need open minded negotiation on both sides and, I suspect, is going to involve Israel giving back the land that it has stolen over the decades (which is going to mean building an awful lot of houses on its own land).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:35 pm 
Rock Star

Amos My friend,
Earlier I gave you some support, however I have to agree with some of the posters, until you and other people from Israel admit that you also have blood on your hands, agreed Palestine also has blood on its hands will not get any support.
To act in denial you will continue to lose support and that applies world wide, for example the Paramilitaries in Northern Ireland saw the light and admitted they were all to blame, then guess what the peace process began.

So Amos would you agree or disagree that your country is not without some blame.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:39 pm 

lowvoltage wrote:
not without some blame
to say the least...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:31 am 
Rock Star

lowvoltage wrote:
Amos My friend,
Earlier I gave you some support, however I have to agree with some of the posters, until you and other people from Israel admit that you also have blood on your hands, agreed Palestine also has blood on its hands will not get any support.
To act in denial you will continue to lose support and that applies world wide, for example the Paramilitaries in Northern Ireland saw the light and admitted they were all to blame, then guess what the peace process began.

So Amos would you agree or disagree that your country is not without some blame.

I have said that there is blame on both sides.
However the only way forward now is for the Leaders of the Palestinian Authority to get rid of the terrorists/extremists, and return to the negotiating table.
Amos.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:39 am 
Rock Star

exodus wrote:
However the only way forward now is for the Leaders of the Palestinian Authority to get rid of the terrorists/extremists, and return to the negotiating table.
Amos.

Why is that the only way forward? Surely Israel announcing that it will stop stealing land and building illegal settlements would be a good way to restart the process?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:27 pm 
Rock Star

Effsie wrote:
exodus wrote:
Amos.

Why is that the only way forward? Surely Israel announcing that it will stop stealing land and building illegal settlements would be a good way to restart the process?

Unfortunately that wouldn't stop the terrorists/extremists making their daily attacks on Israel.
Why should we put up with those attacks?
Amos.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:18 pm 
Rock Star

As long as Israelis think that this kind of behaviour is acceptable, then talks will go nowhere.

Israel is acting in contravention of international law and, once it recognises that, there is then a basis for talks to proceed, provided the Palestinian side stop throwing stones and trying to stab people.

If you cannot see that, or are not willing to accept that, then you have my sympathy for your blinkered approach.

Israel may have the military might, but that doesn't make them the good guys!

Merry Christmas!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:13 pm 
Rock Star

Effsie wrote:
As long as Israelis think that this kind of behaviour is acceptable, then talks will go nowhere.

Israel is acting in contravention of international law and, once it recognises that, there is then a basis for talks to proceed, provided the Palestinian side stop throwing stones and trying to stab people.

If you cannot see that, or are not willing to accept that, then you have my sympathy for your blinkered approach.

Israel may have the military might, but that doesn't make them the good guys!

Merry Christmas!

"..provided the Palestinian side stop throwing stones and trying to stab people" - correct except it is NOT the Palestinian people throwing stones it is terrorists. You cannot expect anyone to give in to that sort of behaviour.

"Israel...etc .. doesn't make them the good guys" - correct it does not and I never said that. We are not blameless, both sides have blood on their hands.
I have told you what is required now from the Leadership of the Palestinian Authority.
Merry Christmas to you too.
Amos.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:54 pm 

EXODUS, as soon as you said that the US should take out North Korea, by any means, i.e. to eradicate one lunatic of a dictator, you should drop nuclear bombs and kill millions, you are no better than a lunatic yourself. If you are representative of the average Israeli, God help us all. No wonder the palestinians realise there is no hope.

You are committing genocide on them and you know it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:08 pm 
Rock Star

GreyPaint wrote:
EXODUS, as soon as you said that the US should take out North Korea, by any means, i.e. to eradicate one lunatic of a dictator, you should drop nuclear bombs and kill millions, you are no better than a lunatic yourself. If you are representative of the average Israeli, God help us all. No wonder the palestinians realise there is no hope.

I was quoting what Mr Trump said he would do, but he is right isn't he?
How else would you suggest the world deals with loony tune N.Korea?
Go on, give me a laugh, and suggest we negotiate. :lol:
Amos.
P.S. You are right, there is no hope for the Palestinians until they purge themselves of the terrorists that have infiltrated their community.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:08 am 
exodus wrote:
Topgun wrote:

Amos.
You must be smoking some good **** down there in Zyki :crylaughin :crylaughin :crylaughin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:06 am 

exodus wrote:
GreyPaint wrote:

Amos.
P.S. You are right, there is no hope for the Palestinians until they purge themselves of the terrorists that have infiltrated their community.

No, he is a lunatic, as areyouy to agree with him. If the US wanted rid of him, they could easily get a number of snipers to target him.... or a missile (non-nuclear) .... the notion that millions should die to kill another lunatic is lunacy...

You conveniently ignore the comment about genocide. Either you really are a lunatic, or youre at it and the wind up. If you are in any way representative of Israel’s views, then the country is doomed.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:53 am 
Rock Star

GreyPaint wrote:
exodus wrote:
GreyPaint wrote:

Amos.

No, he is a lunatic, as areyouy to agree with him. If the US wanted rid of him, they could easily get a number of snipers to target him.... or a missile (non-nuclear) .... the notion that millions should die to kill another lunatic is lunacy...

You conveniently ignore the comment about genocide. Either you really are a lunatic, or youre at it and the wind up. If you are in any way representative of Israel’s views, then the country is doomed.

People have been predicting the doom of Israel for decades and the terrorists keep on trying to bring it about - all to no avail.
Your mudslinging adds nothing to your arguments.
Amos.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:15 am 
Considering the arms/munitions that the Soviets supplied to all the surrounding the Arab states Israel should have been a distant memory by now.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:19 am 
GreyPaint wrote:
exodus wrote:
GreyPaint wrote:

Amos.

Not very polite, I was under the impression that these forums had admin to maintain civility.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:11 pm 
exodus wrote:
tanny wrote:
Jersusalem has been the capital city if Israel since 1947, and capital cities are where Embassies are usually located.

Thousands of years in fact.
Very true.

Last edited by Bill Thorburn on Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:48 pm 
Top of the pops

I do not recall Tanny saying that or being quoted as saying that. Frankly I don't give a monkeys where any Capital or Embassy is as long as everybody gets up in a show of strength to oust the money backers and manipulators.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:45 pm 
Rock Star

tanny wrote:
I do not recall Tanny saying that or being quoted as saying that. Frankly I don't give a monkeys where any Capital or Embassy is as long as everybody gets up in a show of strength to oust the money backers and manipulators.

You didn't, I did.
Amos.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:52 pm 
Top of the pops

them is probably best not to copy and paste against Tanny's name. Thanks

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:35 pm 

Please be careful of false representation :tickedoff and insults folks :rocky ...thanks

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:52 pm 
exodus wrote:
Effsie wrote:
"..provided the Palestinian side stop throwing stones and trying to stab people" - correct except it is NOT the Palestinian people throwing stones it is terrorists. You cannot expect anyone to give in to that sort of behaviour.

Let's not forget the constant randomly fired Missiles that the Palestinians fire often from sights in residential districts to give the Israelis a bad name when they quite rightly retaliate.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:33 pm 
Rock Star

Bill Thorburn wrote:
exodus wrote:
Effsie wrote:

Let's not forget the constant randomly fired Missiles that the Palestinians fire often from sights in residential districts to give the Israelis a bad name when they quite rightly retaliate.

Exactly correct Bill, but there seems to be many on this forum who would I assume do the same if they were being attacked like that (retaliate).
I have lost 2 close friends from such attacks.
I have asked many times on this (and on another) forum what they would do if it was THEIR Country being attacked in this way. I never get an answer - I can only assume they are just anti-Israel.
I don't know who first said this: "There are none so blind as those who don't want to hear"!!
Amos.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:50 pm 
Top of the pops

Clearly some would do the same as you and run away to a different country but enjoy all the benefits and kindness of home.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:55 am 
tanny wrote:
Clearly some would do the same as you and run away to a different country but enjoy all the benefits and kindness of home.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:17 pm 

quote:- I don't know who first said this: "There are none so blind as those who don't want to hear"!!

I think you might have been the first Amos :grin: NO offence intended

The actual English proverb “There are none so blind as those who will not see” has been traced back in English to 1546 (John Heywood),

The proverb resembles the Biblical verse "Hear now this, O foolish people, and without understanding; which have eyes, and see not; which have ears, and hear not." Jer. 5:21 (King James Version)

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:21 pm 
Rock Star

COYS wrote:
tanny wrote:

Are YOU retired here from another Country, or are you a Cypriot?
If retired, I fail to see any difference between us!
Amos.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:23 pm 
Rock Star

M.A.D wrote:
quote:- I don't know who first said this: "There are none so blind as those who don't want to hear"!!

I think you might have been the first Amos :grin: NO offence intended

The actual English proverb “There are none so blind as those who will not see” has been traced back in English to 1546 (John Heywood),

The proverb resembles the Biblical verse "Hear now this, O foolish people, and without understanding; which have eyes, and see not; which have ears, and hear not." Jer. 5:21 (King James Version)

Many thanks for that. Most informative.
I had heard it (or similar) somewhere or other from some British folk and thought it was rather a good one.
Amos.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:16 pm 
Top of the pops

Let's not forget the constant randomly fired Missiles that the Palestinians fire often from sights in residential districts to give the Israelis a bad name when they quite rightly retaliate.[/quote]

Exactly correct Bill, but there seems to be many on this forum who would I assume do the same if they were being attacked like that (retaliate).
I have asked many times on this (and on another) forum what they would do if it was THEIR Country being attacked in this way. I never get an answer - I can only assume they are just anti-Israel.
I don't know who first said this: "There are none so blind as those who don't want to hear"!!
Amos.[/quote]

Amos, although I am not Israeli, or of Jewish religion, I have been supportive of Israel for 59 years now due to a situation that occured at that time. What I don't agree with is the timing of Israel's annoncement of moving it's embassy to Jerusalem, or indeed Donald Trump's announcement to "recognise" that. Both are most unwelcome at a time when the world is on the verge of nuclear war, due to Trump's goading of North Korea, when it would be far better to have communication than threats. Do you not see that Trump is escalating things here in our part of the world to increase his own popularity in The USA, but putting us all at risk here, which is far away from his own shores. As to North Korea having missiles capable of hitting his country, then will he compensate all the countries within the fallout of nuclear bombs being centred on North Korea - but then how can you compensate for millions of lives? Quite frankly, President Putin has shown admirable restraint in the face of the so called President of America. Also, why is it ok for America to have nuclear weapons, but not other countries of it's choosing?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:52 pm 
Rock Star

On this occasion I will defend our esteemed friend Amos by drawing your attention to events closer to home, I will remind those that may have forgotten.

Did hundreds not flee to mainland UK during the height of the troubles, they fled to escape the violence and fear, as some ex service men here will remember streets and street of empty houses where residents fled.
Now we have had years of peace and NI is a different place did those that flee go back, not all some did, some stayed in in mainland UK because they felt they have a better life.

Adding further fuel to this debate, what about all the migrants from war torn Yugoslavia (as was) not all went back, is that not the same as those from his country, if peace happened over night how many would go back once they have tasted what the people of NI did, not many would.

Please leave this poor man alone, reading some of the posts it is bordering upon anti sematic and that is bang out of order

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:52 am 
exodus wrote:
Bill Thorburn wrote:

Amos.

Sadly two statesmen who could have brought peace to the middle east are no longer with us:- The late king of Jordan and the Egyptian president who was assassinated. Two very sensible men, sadly missed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:31 pm 
lowvoltage wrote:
On this occasion I will defend our esteemed friend Amos by drawing your attention to events closer to home, I will remind those that may have forgotten.

Did hundreds not flee to mainland UK during the height of the troubles, they fled to escape the violence and fear, as some ex service men here will remember streets and street of empty houses where residents fled.
Now we have had years of peace and NI is a different place did those that flee go back, not all some did, some stayed in in mainland UK because they felt they have a better life.

Adding further fuel to this debate, what about all the migrants from war torn Yugoslavia (as was) not all went back, is that not the same as those from his country, if peace happened over night how many would go back once they have tasted what the people of NI did, not many would.

Please leave this poor man alone, reading some of the posts it is bordering upon anti sematic and that is bang out of order

Yep plan B, bring out the anti sematic card :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:02 pm 
COYS wrote:
lowvoltage wrote:

What should be taken into consideration is that Jerusalem is and always has been the 'City Of David' also the 'Holy City' where the 'Temple of Solomon' existed.
No race of people have endured as much persecution as the Jewish people have been subjected to over 'Thousands of years'.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:16 pm 
Rock Star

Bill Thorburn wrote:
COYS wrote:
lowvoltage wrote:

What should be taken into consideration is that Jerusalem is and always has been the 'City Of David' also the 'Holy City' where the 'Temple of Solomon' existed.
No race of people have endured as much persecution as the Jewish people have been subjected to over 'Thousands of years'.

Thank you Bill.
Amos.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body