Mr-Woo Chinese and Thai Restaurant

The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CAR INSURANCE
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:32 pm 

Like most Insurance you never know how good they are until you need to make a claim.
In August my wife's car was stolen and found burnt out two weeks later. It was a total write off. Insurance was through Abbeygate who have been very supportive throughout.
However, they are only the Brokers and the Insurance Company is TradeWise who are based in Gibraltar. They have been pretty useless.
Firstly, no Insurance Company in Cyprus provide a courtesy/rental car if your vehicle is stolen (only whilst it is being repaired after an accident). We were therefore burdened with the extra expense of hiring a vehicle whilst they were sorting out the claim. Also the contents inside the car (sunglasses, set of boules, cd's, tow rope, various bits and bobs) were not covered - it was never offered when taking out the policy.
TradeWise use a Cyprus Agent called Prodromou & Makryionni who are based in Nicosia and were also pretty hopeless. They could not obtain a police report (it needed two of these, one for the theft and one for when the car was found). In the end after 10 weeks I had to visit Paphos Police to get a report myself, as the Insurance Company would not pay out without this. They also haven't a clue how much cars are worth - there is no 'Second Hand Guidebook'.
In total it took TradeWise 14 weeks before they paid out on the claim. Disgraceful as they kept changing their minds to what info was needed and were very poor at communicating with us and keeping us informed. Eventually they paid 1000 €'s less than what the car was insured for.
Stevy at Abbeygate, as well as the rest of the team there, were very supportive but their hands were tied by dealing with a Gibraltar Company that were not conversant with Cyprus prices, reporting systems and documentation.
We will NOT be using them again following this experience and have now taken out Insurance through Abbeygate with AIG.

So beware of this experience when buying Car Insurance

Geoff

Post subject: Re: CAR INSURANCE
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:46 pm 
Rock Star

You say that Abbeygate were very supportive, but, from what you say in your post, they didn't seem to actually do anything. From your own words, you seem to have done it all yourself.

I don't think I would use any of the companies mention in your post. Thanks for the heads up.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:02 pm 
Top of the pops

In 1998 I had a car stolen in the UK and I didn't get a courtesy car then either - the chances of getting a stolen car back are pretty slim so insurers won't go through with the expense!

I'm with Abbeygate so I've been dealing with Trade Wise in Gibralter too after the daughter in law of a well known developer crashed into me before Easter and haven't encountered any problems - whereas HER insurers PAN CYPRIAN have been worse than useless to say the least as she admitted it was her fault - my car was all repaired etc etc within a short time at their expense and they were still fannying about - in fact the last I heard a few weeks ago they still were!!

:sunny

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:17 pm 
Junior

To me Abbeygate were at fault, surly they should know all the ins and outs with what Insurance companies they are dealing with.
They should read the small print too.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:10 pm 
Star

Insurance :banghead
Friends of ours in the US had to cancel a cruise (which was paid up in full) due to the sudden death of a "close relative" So here,s where the fun starts.The insurance company argued that the deceased a "step" brother was not a "close" relative.
Check the small print.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:39 pm 
Rock Star

I have found to my cost that some insurance is a scam ! The second hand price guide similar to glass's guide is just so out of step with the money cars are bought and sold for, especially if the car is under 1000 euro, in such a case you need to get the money from the 3rd party a d then they can sue the insurance company for taking money under false pretences,,,,,,,,,,year right !!

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body