The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Double Death
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:40 pm 
Rock Star

90 year old double death driver given a two year suspended sentence, this is absolutely beyond belief, some will say there is no justice at all, some will say why was he driving at 90, form your own opinion

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-41900744

Post subject: Re: Double Death
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:34 pm 
Top of the pops

This was a terrible accident which was totally unintended, it was a terrible mistake by the driver, he was not being a "boy racer" he just hit the wrong pedal as many of us have if we were to be honest.
I agree with the judge in this instance who took away his licence .
Putting an old man in jail for a tragic mistake would serve no purpose or bring these poor women back .
I understand the families anger but in this case it would be better for them to mourn and forgive, he has shown remorse which has been reported.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:01 pm 
Top of the pops

beverley wrote:
This was a terrible accident which was totally unintended, it was a terrible mistake by the driver, he was not being a "boy racer" he just hit the wrong pedal as many of us have if we were to be honest.
I agree with the judge in this instance who took away his licence .
Putting an old man in jail for a tragic mistake would serve no purpose or bring these poor women back .
I understand the families anger but in this case it would be better for them to mourn and forgive, he has shown remorse which has been reported.

For anyone who is a 'believer' I suggest the saying ... "There, but for the Grace of God".
But compare this tragedy to the infant murdered by her adoptive parent ! ???

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:57 pm 
Junior

Dreadful accident which is awful for everyone involved. Whatever the decision the judge could not please anyone and really what good would it do to lock this old man up?

I guess the debate is whether an individual should be retested to see if competent to drive and if so at what age? 60? 70? 80?

The reality is that unfortunately accidents do happen - at whatever age.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:58 am 
Rock Star

All you need to do is to watch a busy car park and see what goes on , from this you can deduce how many motorists of any age or sex are Competent or NOT, it's scary, of course large cumbersome vehicles with poor visibility and automatic transmutation don't help, I think car designers should carry some blame for selling us unsuitable vehicles, also car parks need to be rethought out to accommodate the new breed of outside vehicles.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:53 pm 
Rock Star

My mother is 90 and she can still drive.
Sometimes she drives from her home in Sunderland to my brothers in Euxton Chorley.
That is 147miles each way.
Here is her route
Sunderland A690, A1M, A66 to Brough, Kirby Stephen to Tebay, then down the M6 to Chorley.
147 Miles.
And NO she dose not do it both ways in a day, she stops at my brothers for a few days when she is there.
:auto

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:49 pm 
Idol

My mum turned 77 recently and said just the other afternoon that when her licence next expires (I think at 80) she will most likely not renew it.... She's perfectly fine, healthy and fit (other than controlled glaucoma) to drive so we said not to make those kind of plans just yet, see how she feels when the time comes.

She's already indicated if her Landy freelander decides to give up the ghost before her licence expires, she won't be getting another car anyway, so we'll have to wait and see which comes first. The freelander is a 2007 model and still sailing through the MOT each year.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:16 pm 
Top of the pops

When I had my car MOT'd recently, I had to line it up at angle, open the front doors, and lower the windows, and then bring them up halfway again. When I asked the technician the reason for all this, he pointed to a camera on the wall that is direct through to Nicosia Ministry of Transport. He explained that before he could even commence an MOT, he had to have permission to go ahead, as the high specification camera was showing them if my vehicle had darkened windows at the front, that the windows did operate up and down, that there were no disqualyfying chips on the windscreen, that the vehicle hadn't been modified to have "wide wheels" and heightened suspension, and the lighting units conformed to the legal status. He admitted he had carried out MOT's on vehicles that he knew "normally" had wide wheels, but were "normal" when they came in, but he had seen the same vehicle later on the same day at the harbour, with wide wheels again. I asked why the police, knowing therefore these cars were illegal, didn't stop and fine them and have the vehicle taken off the road. He looked at me, and shrugged his shoulders, and said "What police"?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:23 pm 
Star

Mmmm,,your 89 years old,your eye site is good (may be with glasses) you are reasonably fit,and you've driven all your life without an accident (well,,not a serious one ) and the authorities say you cant drive next year because your chronological age is 90. Honestly How would YOU feel especially as you need that car to get around

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body