It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:59 pm

Mr-Woo Chinese and Thai Restaurant

The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:26 am 

OK, off on a rant..... :tickedoff …was in Coral Bay last night and witnessed a very aggressive taxi driver verbally abuse and intimidate a tourist.
A young British amputee service man and his girlfriend ‘parked’ their hire scooter in the in front of Dionysus. A very aggressive taxi driver started shouting at them that the area was only for taxis to park. It was very obvious that the serviceman’s prosthetic leg was fairly new and he was still getting used to it and having a bit of difficulty walking BUT the taxi driver continued to badger, gesticulate and shout at them till he moved the scooter……pathetic
A short time later, a group of 4 young fit Cypriot boys parked almost in the same place to go to the ice cream shop…what did the big brave taxi driver do…..nothing!!
1. There are NO signs to say it is a Taxi Rank
2. There is NOTHING painted on the road to say it’s a Taxi Rank
As far as I am concerned, for the next while at least, if there are spaces, I am going to park there when I am in Coral bay….let him try and move me :rocky :bat

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:11 pm 
Top of the pops

Grrr - the freaking taxi mafia drive me nuts!! If the people had his car reg or licence/badge number they could report him, the CTO would be interested I'm sure!!

:rocky

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:48 pm 
Top of the pops

The CTO will do nothing as they are not interested . They sit in their offices ignoring all the law breaking by Cypriot owned and run bussinesses while persecuting foreigners trying to run a bussiness. When I sought advice and information from them I was met with aggression and a brick wall and more or less told to " go forth and multiply".

Taxis are their own worse enemy, if they were not so busy smoking like chimneys while ripping off tourists they could actually do very well in Cyprus both with tourists and ex pat/locals.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:55 am 
Top of the pops

OK typical govt department then :roll: .....but how about a Letter to the Editor of the Cyprus Mail on Sunday?!

:grin:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:41 am 
Rock Star

Quote:
As far as I am concerned, for the next while at least, if there are spaces, I am going to park there when I am in Coral bay….let him try and move me

Good for you MAD!
I had a similar experience with an a-hole taxi driver at the airport whilst dropping off family for their return flight.
He came running & shouting in an agressive manner, but I'd already decided on having none of it & simply faced up to him. He saw my stance & stopped several yards short of me, then just continued shouting & gesticulating like a child in a tantrum.
When I started smiling at him he had no idea what to do, went quiet & then went back to his cab.
At the end of the day (like this guy) most are simply village bullies, stand up to them & they wilt.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:20 am 
Major

What a shame that there was no one else around witnessing this who were willing to stick up for the poor couple. They may well go away from the Island thinking it a terrible place to visit.

:-( :-( :-(

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:44 am 
Regular

I agree send to Cyprus Mail, these people have to be made to realise they are ruining Cyprus Tourism, with their aggressive driving and boorish behaviour.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:34 am 
Idol

But does anyone outside of Cyprus read the Cyprus Mail?

Anyone who has lived in Cyprus or spent time there already knows the taxi drivers are a law unto themselves as well as, it seems, remaining untouchable by any authority.

This kind of information should be passed out over social media to people outside of Cyprus including tour operators, travel agents and all those trashy newspapers that we all love to hate but will print anything.

Futile putting it in any of the Cyprus papers but TripAdvisor will love it!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:21 am 
Junior

I think it does says TAXIS painted on the road outside Dionysos. However I think there is at least one space that is not allocated to Taxis.
What a shame this young man and his partner had to go through that, disgraceful behaviour from the taxi driver.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:47 am 
Rock Star

Is Dionysis opposite Kleo's Bar?

Alan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:58 am 
Junior

Yes it is.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:14 pm 

FooFoo wrote:
I think it does says TAXIS painted on the road outside Dionysos. However I think there is at least one space that is not allocated to Taxis.
What a shame this young man and his partner had to go through that, disgraceful behaviour from the taxi driver.

More or less...actually opposite Chic Chos and next door to Da Vinci Gelato

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body