It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:31 pm

Mr-Woo Chinese and Thai Restaurant

The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:10 pm 

We have a holiday home in Ayia Varvara (Paphos area) and are planning on using Bluenet internet provider who have indicated they can turn on and off the service so we only pay while we are there.

There seems to be mixed reviews of their service - although some of the reviews seem to be a few years ago so wonder if anyone has recent experience with Bluenet - e.g. you are getting the speeds you are paying for/ the signal is consistent etc?
Many thanks in advance for any feedback you have on this provider.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:41 pm 
Rock Star

We have used Netcom for this year and have been very impressed so far.

https://www.netcomcyprus.com/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:15 pm 
Junior

We used it this year March to April, terrible service . Some days we would get an OK service but in the evening it was always bad.

No point in phoning as they always said the same thing " try switching the box off then on again" never worked.

Cost was around €100, put it down to experience

Managed to get Cyta connected and all is now perfect! :celebrate

We live in Argaka within eye line of the Bluenet office.

Terry

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:14 pm 
Regular

http://beta.speedtest.net/result/6519934947.png

This is from our Polis node, Paphos should be the same - at peak demand times (7pm-10pm).

being honest, all wifi providers have problems which is why we are now using the local loop for connections (only permanent customers though) via hard-wire (installation is much cheaper as well just as a bonus). In Ayia Varvara I have mixed reports of both BlueNet and Netcom, we do not cover that area anyway - DSS may cover that area, may be worth trying as that do have a good reputation, and I have had good feedback on our TV customers using them.

Regards

Digby

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:51 pm 

We also use Netcom, we were over for 5 weeks May - Jun and had no issues at all. We use it a lot, work, TV etc and have had no issues on a regular visits in the last 3 years. They were very quick to respond when someone managed to damage the cable, we arrived Sunday and it was cut and tied together!! They came out Monday morning and re cabled the lot, they charged 30Euros because it wasn't a fault, which I thought fair. They are a great company to deal with, we use the 6mbit connection and it does everything we need. I am sure that a lot of the companies are good, but this is the only one we have dealt with. Our elderly expat neighbour, who is a permanent resident, uses CYTA and their helpdesk is very good, she has only had a computer for a few years and they talk her through everything, quite impressive support. But they don't do the switch on/off. We are in the TOK area.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:08 pm 
Major

We use bluenet and have done for the past 2 years. We have found them to be good suppliers. If a problem they are out very swiftly.

Still have some buffering problems at the moment, but speed seems around what we pay for, 6meg. Possibly down to tourist traffic.

Jim.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:04 am 
Master

Bluenet, just got worse and worse, not answering phone calls or e-mails; I binned them and got Universal so much better and cheaper! Then someone tried to burn/blow them out, but that is another story. :pint :pint

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:03 pm 
Junior

Ayia Varvara wrote:
We have a holiday home in Ayia Varvara (Paphos area) and are planning on using Bluenet internet provider who have indicated they can turn on and off the service so we only pay while we are there.

There seems to be mixed reviews of their service - although some of the reviews seem to be a few years ago so wonder if anyone has recent experience with Bluenet - e.g. you are getting the speeds you are paying for/ the signal is consistent etc?
Many thanks in advance for any feedback you have on this provider.

if you are thinking of useing bluenet for sports,forget it,you would need cyta or primetel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:12 pm 
Top of the pops

My advice is not to touch Bluenet with a bargepole. They only serve to make constant excuses for their awfully poor service.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:16 am 

Thanks so much everyone for your responses - really appreciate it

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:45 am 

Hi all, Just to give you an update - we proceeded with using Bluenet despite the mixed response as none of the other providers had coverage as far as Ayia Varvara. (Only alternative would have been Cyta but issue with monthly fees would make it very expensive for a holiday home).

We've had Bluenet for over a week now and have to say we are very happy with the service and speed we are getting - it does drop the odd time but quickly re-connects. I think it is all down to how close you are to - and line of site to - the transmitter. Our house is quite elevated so I think that helps.

Thanks again all - I really appreciate the input from all the PaphosPeople community !

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body