Mr-Woo Chinese and Thai Restaurant

The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:12 pm 
Master

It seems like the taxi drivers are being reported, but not taking any notice! :pint
http://in-cyprus.com/paphos-airport-cab ... f-punters/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:37 pm 
Rock Star

Not surprised but you know how they operate then you should not fall for their tricks, be cautious enquire about the price before embarking on the journey, not rocket science.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:26 pm 
Top of the pops

Stevie B wrote:
It seems like the taxi drivers are being reported, but not taking any notice! :pint
http://in-cyprus.com/paphos-airport-cab ... f-punters/

The police will never do anything about that in Paphos, as the taxi drivers are probably their relatives, mates or whatever known to them. Have you ever seen a Paphos policeman stopping a speeding taxi along the Paphos dual carriageways? Of course not, because that is why we have to have Nicosia policemen doing a 180 miles(not kms) round trip to enforce the law here..

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:22 pm 
Top of the pops

Simples. Don't use them!!!

Make sure everyone you know knows not to use them, there are plenty of decent and honourable taxi drivers - certainly in Paphos, can't speak for other areas - who will happily transport to and from airport at much more reasonable prices. Check around, book in advance, don't let these thieving robbing cowboys win. Drive them out of business unless or until they are prepared to abide by the rules.

Question still remains though, why are the 'authorities' - or perhaps the police - allowing these thieves to flaunt the legal requirement of a meter????

Stopping them in their tracks is the only answer.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:46 pm 
Rock Star

George wrote:
there are plenty of decent and honourable taxi drivers - certainly in Paphos, can't speak for other areas - who will happily transport to and from airport at much more reasonable prices.

But I have never seen a single one use their meter as they are obliged to do. They all overcharge, even the "good" ones. It's just that some overcharge more than others.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:48 pm 
Top of the pops

I'm referring to prebooked taxis from Paphos itself, not the airport. Dozens of decent, honourable taxi drivers available for prebooking in Paphos. Agree the price prior to booking, no problem. if you're not happy with it, haggle, if you're still not happy, walk away. Choice is yours. Police will never prosecute anyone for not using the meter, so either accept the price or walk away. I would not entertain any of the cowboys in the airport but many, if not most of taxi operators in Paphos itself are decent people. Prebooking is always best.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:55 am 
Rock Star

But if they were decent people, they would use the meters. The terms of their licences say that have to. Even if you think they are nice people, they are still ripping you off!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:53 am 
Regular

Not necessarily ripping you off as they do have to make a living you know. They have to maintain their taxi,pay for the license,petrol etc etc. Someone once said they had been ripped off paying €20 from the airport to Paphos which I believe ia reasonable. One of the best taxi drivers I know I believe charges €40 from the airport to Peyia which again is reasonable. They do have to make a living.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:49 am 
Rock Star

The government sets rates per kilometre for taxi drivers to charge.

Yes, taxi drivers have to make a living, as do most people, but if they refuse to use their meters and charge rates above the agreed price per kilometre, in what way can they not be ripping people off?

AFAIK this goes back to the need to many taxi drivers to buy great big expensive Mercedes that they can't afford to pay for without inflating the rates that they charge.

I know it won't happen any time soon, but the authorities need to insist that taxi drivers use their meters (or use the published rates for long journeys) and, if they don't, they should have their taxi licences revoked.

Everyone who works needs to earn a living, but we all have to abide by the rules. If drivers can't earn a living by charging the right rates then they should get rid of the big cars and buy a smaller one!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:43 am 
Top of the pops

UK taxis usually have a fixed price for airport runs, not metered charges.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:09 pm 
Top of the pops

See http://www.kristelcabs.com/pricelist/
or
http://www.coralbaytaxis.com/fares-rates

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:21 pm 
Rock Star

Here are the approved taxi rates from the CTO.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:04 pm 
Top of the pops

This falls under the expression Caveat Emptor (Let the buyer beware). If you hail a cab anywhere in Cyprus and ask the price to the destination the driver will tell you what the cost is. That is the amount in full that you need to pay him. If you don't like the cost. Don't get in the cab. If you pre-book the taxi, the rates, if not on their web sites, will be agreed up front. Again, if you don't want to pay that amount, don't book the taxi. How is that being 'ripped off'? As for buying Mercedes cars (or mini-buses), taxi drivers make most of their income from regular corporate clients, who expect a certain standard.

I normally use the same driver when he is available. Last time I called him, he was taking a fare to Larnaca and not available, so he offered to send a driver from another company. That replacement driver duly took me to my destination (for the same price). On the journey, chatting to him was like chatting to a long lost relative. I was so impressed with him, I asked him for a card. He refused to give me one, saying that I was his friend's customer. A lesser man would have given me the card. There are a few cowboys out there, but most are reasonably honest, and some exceptional.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:03 pm 
KG wrote:
This falls under the expression Caveat Emptor (Let the buyer beware). If you hail a cab anywhere in Cyprus and ask the price to the destination the driver will tell you what the cost is. That is the amount in full that you need to pay him. If you don't like the cost. Don't get in the cab. If you pre-book the taxi, the rates, if not on their web sites, will be agreed up front. Again, if you don't want to pay that amount, don't book the taxi. How is that being 'ripped off'? As for buying Mercedes cars (or mini-buses), taxi drivers make most of their income from regular corporate clients, who expect a certain standard.

I normally use the same driver when he is available. Last time I called him, he was taking a fare to Larnaca and not available, so he offered to send a driver from another company. That replacement driver duly took me to my destination (for the same price). On the journey, chatting to him was like chatting to a long lost relative. I was so impressed with him, I asked him for a card. He refused to give me one, saying that I was his friend's customer. A lesser man would have given me the card. There are a few cowboys out there, but most are reasonably honest, and some exceptional.

Good Post, totally agree with your comments.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:04 pm 
Rock Star

Well, one thing I never thought I would see on an expat forum was posters defending taxi drivers who overcharge!

As I seem to be in a minority in objecting to that I will make no further comment apart from to ask whether, given that a 1.5 litre bottle of milk has to be charged at the government approved price of €2.10 (might be €2.05), does that mean that those who are happy to be overcharged for taxi rides would also be happy if their local shopkeeper decided to charge them €3.00 instead, on the basis that they "have to earn a living"?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:40 pm 
Top of the pops

Effsie wrote:
Well, one thing I never thought I would see on an expat forum was posters defending taxi drivers who overcharge!

As I seem to be in a minority in objecting to that I will make no further comment apart from to ask whether, given that a 1.5 litre bottle of milk has to be charged at the government approved price of €2.10 (might be €2.05), does that mean that those who are happy to be overcharged for taxi rides would also be happy if their local shopkeeper decided to charge them €3.00 instead, on the basis that they "have to earn a living"?

No.
But I would ask the price .... before I bought any milk ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:47 pm 
Top of the pops

Agree.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:58 pm 
Regular

I cannot see that anyone was defending the taxi drivers that over charge but rather were trying to point out that there were some decent taxi drivers out there who charge a reasonable rate.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:50 pm 
No one is defending bent taxi drivers, but it's just common sense to agree a fee before getting in the cab....In the UK when I order a cab to take me to the airport, I always ask the price first, before booking them...simple

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:26 pm 
Major

https://www.numbeo.com/taxi-fare/in/Paphos.

Use this calculator to give you an estimate of your expected fare it's fairly accurate to what I have been paying with the taxi firm I have used for a number of years from and to PFO airport.
However when used for a LCA to Pafos trip the price by meter calculator is more than what most of the taxis charge you on their websites etc.average 100 to 120 EU. As said by others agree the price first if not happy take another taxi but I think you will find they are all more or less the same for PFO LCA airport runs..

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:08 am 
In any case, in the event that they were nice individuals, they would utilize the meters. The terms of their licenses say that need to. Regardless of the possibility that you think they are decent individuals, they are as yet scamming you!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:54 pm 

We had an experance when we arrived at paphos airport to pick up a hire car after arriving late in the evening, after searching the car park for our hire car with being told my name on a piece of A4 paper on the dashboard and ringing up the car hire company confirming the location, there was still no car. We had to get a taxi from the airport to chloraka and being charged 45 euros one way, for two people, one suit case and two hand luggage. After the car hire company investagated the matter the next day it appears the taxi drivers moved the hire car from its location in order in obtaining custom. We were refunded the full cost of the taxi journey and given a discount on the hire car we used for the rest of our holiday. The owners of the car hire company with the police are taking action and this was not the first time, it was quite frequent and reported by other car hire companies the activity by the paphos airport taxi drivers.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:32 pm 
Rock Star

I read the thread name and my first though was, taxis!
Although taxi drivers taking the mikey is world wide and has gone on for decades so nothing new here, the answer really is very simple, a thing I do where ever, when ever I wish to use a taxi, before getting in I say how much to ............ before I get in the car, once a price is agreed I get in.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:29 pm 
Top of the pops

gdury66 wrote:
We had an experance when we arrived at paphos airport to pick up a hire car after arriving late in the evening, after searching the car park for our hire car with being told my name on a piece of A4 paper on the dashboard and ringing up the car hire company confirming the location, there was still no car. We had to get a taxi from the airport to chloraka and being charged 45 euros one way, for two people, one suit case and two hand luggage. After the car hire company investagated the matter the next day it appears the taxi drivers moved the hire car from its location in order in obtaining custom. We were refunded the full cost of the taxi journey and given a discount on the hire car we used for the rest of our holiday. The owners of the car hire company with the police are taking action and this was not the first time, it was quite frequent and reported by other car hire companies the activity by the paphos airport taxi drivers.

How did the taxi drivers get the keys to a hire car?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:30 am 
Rock Star

Wavy Dave wrote:

Probably by feeling on top of the tyres. That's where they normally leave the keys!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:02 am 
Top of the pops

Effsie wrote:
Wavy Dave wrote:

Probably by feeling on top of the tyres. That's where they normally leave the keys!

Oh, are they still using that method. Every thief around the world must be on to that one. Amazed car hire companies can't think up something more secure nowadays.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:49 am 
Rock Star

Quote:
Here are the approved taxi rates from the CTO.

Effsie,
I've checked a random few of these 'Approved Rates' & it appears that not one conforms to the quoted 0.73 Euro daytime rate per kilometre.

All are trips from Paphos Airport;
- To Paphos City Ctr. distance = 14.6Km,Charge = 14.08 Euro, cost per Km = 0.96 Euro.
- To Coral Beach Area distance = 28.6Km,Charge = 24.03 Euro, cost per Km = 0.84 Euro.
- To Polis distance = 53.9Km,Charge = 42.77 Euro, cost per Km = 0.79 Euro.
- To Limassol City Ctr. distance = 58.7Km,Charge = 46.27 Euro, cost per Km = 0.79 Euro.
- To Nicosia City Ctr. distance = 141Km,Charge = 106.35 Euro, cost per Km = 0.75 Euro.
- To Protares distance = 178Km,Charge = 133.36 Euro, cost per Km = 0.75 Euro.

Definitely a case of needing the meter to be used IMHO & it should be calibrated to reflect the rate/distance charge. The alternative is just a guessing game, which it appears is the current situation.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:23 pm 
Major

The law states that taxi drivers have to use their metre, anybody who tries to justify them not doing this is a part of the problem.

The biggest issue is the aggressive manner in which they act at the airport, if you don't accept their price they will not allow you to go and negotiate with the next driver. If metres were used nobody would be able to complain about being overcharged and nobody would be able to rip anyone off.
There are plenty of police at the airport who should be enforcing this to protect the unaware tourists.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:18 am 
p.eddie wrote:
The law states that taxi drivers have to use their metre, anybody who tries to justify them not doing this is a part of the problem.

The biggest issue is the aggressive manner in which they act at the airport, if you don't accept their price they will not allow you to go and negotiate with the next driver. If metres were used nobody would be able to complain about being overcharged and nobody would be able to rip anyone off.
There are plenty of police at the airport who should be enforcing this to protect the unaware tourists.

Never found this, always asked a second or third driver, before getting in the cab.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:44 pm 
Major

I can only speak from my own experience and obviously your experience has been different to mine.
The main cause of all of these problems is the refusal to use a metre, and nobody can offer a good reason for this except to rip off the customer.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:24 pm 
Top of the pops

I understand cab drivers around the globe can act in very different was to 'make a buck' however it is the general mayhem and behaviour which is the first experience of many coming to the Island. Many look like vagrants and behave like animals.

While on the subject, the gaggle of tour company reps that is in arrivals varies greatly in behaviour, appearance and style. It seems that some companies are better dressed than others and suit the uniforms better. Theres one whose name escapes me where the reps (especially the women) look like bags of spuds and not very attractive.

I think the airports need to provide a more pleasant arrival experience.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:55 pm 
p.eddie wrote:
I can only speak from my own experience and obviously your experience has been different to mine.
The main cause of all of these problems is the refusal to use a metre, and nobody can offer a good reason for this except to rip off the customer.

I have never asked them to put their meter on....just ask how much to take me to X... if I agree I get in simple...the same as when I call a cab in the UK, I always ask how much before I book the cab.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:56 pm 
Major

I understand that you are happy with the situation and don't seem to mind being overcharged, but can you explain why the taxi drivers refuse to use their metres when it's the law?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:10 pm 
Top of the pops

p.eddie wrote:
I understand that you are happy with the situation and don't seem to mind being overcharged, but can you explain why the taxi drivers refuse to use their metres when it's the law?

:agree It is of no relevance whatsoever if you "agree" the fee before getting in the car, as this should not legally be the way to do it. As you quite rightly say p.eddie, why should that ever be neccessary, other than the taxi driver wanting to rip you off in the first place? You also so rightly say that if the meters were used by every taxi driver, then there would be no need for all this nonsence. COYS, you probably live here, but most people landing at Paphos airport are no doubt holidaymakers, and therefore their first impression is of being conned immediately they arrive in Cyprus after being overcharged by some taxi driver, who probably goes home and boasts how much he has conned the tourists today. They are too thick to realise that those tourists go home and say to their relatives and friends that they were conned the first moment they got into Cyprus. Not a good impression. Yet again, the police do nothing as they are probably related, in some way, to the taxi drivers, and turn a blind eye. When will Cyprus ever learn?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:17 pm 
p.eddie wrote:

Sorry mate, how im I being overcharged, when Im told the fare beforehand and agree to it???

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:25 pm 
Wavy Dave wrote:
p.eddie wrote:

:agree It is of no relevance whatsoever if you "agree" the fee before getting in the car, as this should not legally be the way to do it. As you quite rightly say p.eddie, why should that ever be neccessary, other than the taxi driver wanting to rip you off in the first place? You also so rightly say that if the meters were used by every taxi driver, then there would be no need for all this nonsence. COYS, you probably live here, but most people landing at Paphos airport are no doubt holidaymakers, and therefore their first impression is of being conned immediately they arrive in Cyprus after being overcharged by some taxi driver, who probably goes home and boasts how much he has conned the tourists today. They are too thick to realise that those tourists go home and say to their relatives and friends that they were conned the first moment they got into Cyprus. Not a good impression. Yet again, the police do nothing as they are probably related, in some way, to the taxi drivers, and turn a blind eye. When will Cyprus ever learn?

Sorry dont agree, yes I live here, but ive travelled all over the world, and I do the same what ever country Im in...using the meter dosnt matter if the cab driver wants to scam you, he will just take you the extra long way round....happened once to me in Vegas, Ive been going there for years, one guy thought he would try and scam me, a fifteen dollar trip from the airport to the strip, turned out much more , when he decided to do a couple of loops of vegas before we arrived, at the Bellagio... got out the cab ..gave him fifteen Dollars, and told him he picked the wrong guy to scam...he didnt say a word.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:37 pm 
Top of the pops

Yes COYS, but you have stated you have been going to Vegas for "years", so you were aware of the scam. On the other hand, holidaymakers coming here to Cyprus for the first time will probably not be aware of the scam, so start their holiday feeling unhappy, and then when they do go home, tell the story to so many others, some of whom may then decide to never come here.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:45 pm 
Wavy Dave wrote:
Yes COYS, but you have stated you have been going to Vegas for "years", so you were aware of the scam. On the other hand, holidaymakers coming here to Cyprus for the first time will probably not be aware of the scam, so start their holiday feeling unhappy, and then when they do go home, tell the story to so many others, some of whom may then decide to never come here.

I not disagreeing with you, Ive lived here for thirty years, and I remember people back then rightly moaning about the cab drivers, has anything changed in thirty years no..will anything change I doubt it as there is no political will to do anything about it, so the only thing anyone can do is try and ask before getting in a cab...sorry but if you think anything will change, then good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:32 pm 
Top of the pops

COYS wrote:
Wavy Dave wrote:

I not disagreeing with you, Ive lived here for thirty years, and I remember people back then rightly moaning about the cab drivers, has anything changed in thirty years no..will anything change I doubt it as there is no political will to do anything about it, so the only thing anyone can do is try and ask before getting in a cab...sorry but if you think anything will change, then good luck.

Well, the last Mayor is currently in prison, so reckon anything can happen!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:50 am 
Wavy Dave wrote:
COYS wrote:
Wavy Dave wrote:

Well, the last Mayor is currently in prison, so reckon anything can happen!

He was nicking dosh from Cypriots, not Tourists :crylaughin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:02 am 
Top of the pops

Glad you think it's funny. I don't.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:06 pm 
Wavy Dave wrote:
Glad you think it's funny. I don't.
Must be sad not having a sense of humor, never mind :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:46 pm 
Wow someone told me that this was the friendlier forum.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body