The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Streaming issues
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:22 am 
Rock Star

We have been experiencing problems with watching TV series via a streaming device in the last week, but from use of our iPad & computer know that our broadband supply is not the root cause. A call to Cyta confirmed that there were no identifiable problems.
The programmes eventually can be started by employing the 'Play Using' facility, but have now started to 'lock-up' & fail after a short period. This situation is particularly bad at or around 10:30 pm each night.

Anyone else experiencing a similar problem?

Anybody know if there is a fix?

Post subject: Re: Streaming issues
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:47 am 
Rock Star

Yes and no!

We also use Cyta and live in Tala. We have been getting break-up on our MAG254 box for the last few evenings. Daytimes seem okay though.

No idea what the issue is. Just hoping it will sort itself out!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:08 am 
Major

We too. Replaced router from Cyta. They rechecked our speed up to 16 although has dips. We are with NTV.mx and have been in touch. They are recording our buffering and drops outs hopefully tell us what is the problem.
Hardly worth watching as breaks up every all the time.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:37 am 
Idol

I suspect that with the thousands of extra tourists on the island that broadband services are under pressure. Will only get worse next month then, hopefully, back to normal from September.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:54 am 
Major

Have to say we have been having terrible speed with our wireless broadband. Pay for 6 meg, speed test last night was 273 kbts.
Not even getting picture up on our mag254.
Stormy could be right with the large increase in numbers using.
Bloody tourists Haha.

Jim

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:53 am 
Rock Star

Quote:
Hardly worth watching as breaks up every all the time.

Last night we suffered more of the same, buffering followed by a drop-out from the stream we were attempting to watch, again at around 10:30pm.

Exasperated, I contacted Cyta again & layed it on the line about their poor broadband service.

This resulted in a slightly different approach from the technician, he asked me to confirm the devices connected to the system. This identified that apparently I had two Android boxes connected, but I advised that I owned only one!
It transpired that someone was 'piggy-backing' on my broadband & (apparently) getting most of the available Mb to boot, hence my suffering the consequences of poor streaming.
He talked me through changing my existing Username & Password for both my Router & Wi-Fi, which should prevent future instances of other people benefitting from my Cyta service.

Tonight should reveal if this tactic has indeed solved the issue, or if Cyta are 'covering up' that their service cannot meet the demand during the peak holiday months.

If Cyta have been 'blowing smoke' as the yanks say, my next call will be rather less than civil.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:55 pm 
Top of the pops

Having legitimately borrowed my neighbours wi fi login once, I frequently find my search defaults to that. Have been round on a number of occasions to apologise, but it never seems to affect their usage at all.

Checked my default when I saw this thread, but it's my own, and have to say, I use an android box and no probs whatsoever, says she, touching wood !!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:32 pm 
Top of the pops

I did wonder why a person was on their phone for two hours some weeks ago, right outside my apartment in a complex. Then the penny dropped. So I turned off everything to do with the internet, and pulled out the cable into the telephone socket. I watched then from my balcony, and the person looked round, obviously because the internet connection had gone. She looked up at me, and I shouted to her that I was paying for the service, and didn't see why thieves like her should benefit. She hurried away, and never seen her again!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:34 pm 
Top of the pops

George wrote:
Having legitimately borrowed my neighbours wi fi login once, I frequently find my search defaults to that. Have been round on a number of occasions to apologise, but it never seems to affect their usage at all.

Checked my default when I saw this thread, but it's my own, and have to say, I use an android box and no probs whatsoever, says she, touching wood !!!

Going away from the subject for a moment - I do apologise to those who feel I shouldn't do so - good to see you posting on here again George! :greetings

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:31 pm 
Top of the pops

Hi David, been in Uk for a couple of weeks, not good, many family problems, but have to walk away and return here, my home and the home now of my granddaughter for the next 6 years. Long story, but good to be back amongst friends.

Even here!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:25 pm 
Top of the pops

Sorry to hear of the problems George, but welcome back to Cyprus and hope all goes well for you and your grandaughter here.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:33 pm 
Top of the pops

Thanks David, we've been travelling on for 4 years now, not easy at my age, but what I have to do. Probs in UK don't help but I have to walk away, get on the plane and come home. This is where I live, it's where my granddaughter has been living for the last 4 years and where we have to get along for the next 6 years. C'est la vie!! Were both happy to be back!! Life's good!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:51 pm 
Rock Star

Sorry to interrupt your social life guys, but just thought you may be interested in my update on the subject of this thread?
That Cyta were indeed blowing smoke, tonight the broadband was reduced again to a level that does not support streaming.
Time that someone told them to shove their extortionate rate for a service that is tailored to support the tourist areas at the expense of year round subscribers - that will be me in the morning!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:09 am 
I presume that with the a huge number of additional travelers on the island that broadband administrations are under weight. Will just deteriorate one month from now at that point ideally back to typical from September.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:02 pm 
Major

Thanks for the update topgun. As I said before the best I have had was 2.1 meg, but its consistantly around 275 to 850 kbts. Yo can listen to the radio chanells but as for telly, no hope. We are with one of the wifi suppliers who I assume run off the CYTA network so if you have it bad there is not much chance for us. It does seem to be a lot worse than previous years though.
Jim.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:26 pm 
Top of the pops

No problems here. Viewing via a MyGica box through Cyta internet.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:46 pm 
Top of the pops

No probs here in Tremithousa, minix box,routed through Cyta.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:35 pm 
Junior

Has this improved at all?

My brother in law was watching his beloved St Helens in my house and don't think he had any buffering issues.

Pity - they won as well :rocky

Only Joking!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:15 pm 
Top of the pops

It seems likely that Cyta's system updates currently under way development for launch next month (with improved speeds - hurrah!) could be behind the issues - and then there's the huge overhead of Microsoft's interminable system updates every month that don't exactly help.

There were also some issues with iPlayer on my Minix boxes, due to an Unlocator issue, that was fixed promptly. I quite like the Android version of iPlayer, which is much better than the PC version.

Let's see what next month's Cyta system updates bring.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:57 am 
Rock Star

Quote:
Let's see what next month's Cyta system updates bring.

Hi KG,
The 'Update Schedule' from Cyta spans September until end of March'18, so some people will have to endure this currently 'reduced service' for several months.
It has to be done sometime I suppose to raise the general level of service, but the winter period in Cyprus is bleak enough (with restaurant & hotel closures) in terms of entertainment, without losing your TV programs as well.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body