Junior

Vegetarian Haggis ?????

Macsween of Edinburgh, In a Hurry Vegetarian Haggis, 130g

Up to and including 18/08/2017

:banghead :sweaties

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:50 pm 
Forum Admin

A very famous house hold name when it comes to haggis,
it must be costing them a fortune to recall all that stock..

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:35 pm 
Rock Star

Vegetarian haggis ? How ridiculous! Serve them right for pandering to the wims of those with eating disorders

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:38 pm 
Regular

Some truly ridiculous branding of various"types" of the "great chieftain o' the puddin race" on Macsweens link :lol:

I prefer groundskeeper Willie's marketing description of the cooked offal that is haggis; "Get your haggis right here! Chopped heart and lungs boiled in a wee sheep's stomach! Tastes as good as it sounds!"

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:53 pm 
Idol

There are some things you just shouldn't mess with, like covers and rejigging certain songs from the 70s and 80s but most of all, trying to transform a well loved dish into a veggie option..... yes, I do like my haggis and neeps!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:17 am 
Rock Star

Never understood why anyone would want to eat offal.

There are better alternatives, like Argentinian steak for example!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:27 pm 
Forum Admin

I had a fella in the bar a few weeks back , (English).
he liked to spread it on bread , put orange cheese on top
and grill it ...
I am not a Haggis fan , but that sounded interesting

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:54 pm 

Haggis spring rolls; Haggis Pakora and Haggis Lasagne are fantastic

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:11 pm 
Regular

I've eaten lots of good steaks in my day (including some of the very "best"), but some of the best "meat" dishes I have ever tasted were based on fried liver, stewed kidneys and blanched sweetbreads. If you haven't tried any of those you are missing out on a treat way tastier than haggis and most steaks :cheers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:25 pm 
Junior

Totally agree Ilex

I used to have a favourite liver dish at Thessaloniki restaurant just off bar street.
Unfortunately its gone now but absolutely gorgeous and the smell when cooking is something to die for!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:20 pm 
Regular

Most offal (especially the bits I have mentioned) is high in protein, minerals and vitamins and low in fat- more so than any of the "main" carcass that is considered to be prime meat . Cooked properly it can all be delicious and nutritious

People have been conditioned into not buying offal, but seem quite happy to nosh into burgers or sausages which sometimes are a combination of the worst and least nutritious types of offal (the intestines, anus and the nose spring to mind :lol: )

The French famously eat every part of a pig except the "oink" and can cook it in the most delicious of ways. Snails and frogs legs can be wonderfully tasty, as can humble seafood such as whelks.

Brown crab can taste way better and is much cheaper than lobster, but so many people are food snobs these days (although that snobbery is more down to preconceived dilettante notions rather than any real understanding of cooking)

The ludicrous "TV chef" cult that determines many of the UK's eating habits these days doesn't really venture beyond a few cheaper cuts of beef or fish any uglier than a cod and I seriously doubt anyone buys their books for recipes (I presume they buy them as gifts for other people?)

There's a world of food out there and eating is one of the greatest pleasures available to mankind - don't knock anything until you've tried it and eat with an open mind. You might be pleasantly surprised what is actually available and how good it can be to eat :grin:

The only thing I have always wanted to eat but have never tried is abalone (a big whelk.) I doubt it will taste any better than the whelks and buckies you can buy in the UK for buttons, but if I see it on a menu somewhere I'll give it a go :celeb2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:11 am 
There are a few things you just shouldn't disturb, similar to covers and re jigging certain melodies from the 80s however the greater part of all, attempting to change an all around cherished dish into a veggie option..... yes, I do like my haggis and neeps!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:42 am 
Graduate

We have been buying Haggis from MacSween since they were a Butcher Shop at the corner of Bruntsfield Place and Viewforth, alas now a Costa Coffee, and we do like the Haggis, but I have to say that I have tasted the Veggie Version and it is actually very good

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:11 pm 
Idol

Emily Blunt wrote:
There are a few things you just shouldn't disturb, similar to covers and re jigging certain melodies from the 80s however the greater part of all, attempting to change an all around cherished dish into a veggie option..... yes, I do like my haggis and neeps!

Strangely enough, I said something very similar on 15 July - as a suggestion, perhaps you should read back a few posts before putting your fingers to the keyboard.
Fylde Filly wrote:
There are some things you just shouldn't mess with, like covers and rejigging certain songs from the 70s and 80s but most of all, trying to transform a well loved dish into a veggie option..... yes, I do like my haggis and neeps!

But, I'm guessing Emily Blunt is a reincarnation of another lost forum soul....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:27 am 

Fylde Filly wrote:
Emily Blunt wrote:

Strangely enough, I said something very similar on 15 July - as a suggestion, perhaps you should read back a few posts before putting your fingers to the keyboard.
Fylde Filly wrote:

But, I'm guessing Emily Blunt is a reincarnation of another lost forum soul....

Nope, just a troll we have dealt with before :bat

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:33 am 
Idol

Maybe they will soon get bored then.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body