Mr-Woo Chinese and Thai Restaurant

The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:34 am 
Graduate

I have read the thread about acquiring permanent residence on Cyprus after five years, as this seems to require exchanging the MEU3a form for the MEU3. I understand that this is available for both EU and non-EU residents. We have friends, who have lived here for six years (British citizens) who are concerned that the fallout from Brexit may affect them and their right to stay here.

I know certain contributors to this forum have views about this, and how "It'll be alright on the night" but my friends want to explore this avenue. Has anyone undergone this process and can offer advice and information on obtaining MEU3? I would be very grateful, on their behalf, for advice. This is, I hope, not going to lead to a discussion about what may/may not happen after Brexit as I believe that this has been aired many times.

Be patient and tough; some day this pain will be useful to you. (Ovid)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:16 am 
Top of the pops

https://www.cyprusvisa.eu/assets/cyprus-visa-eu-forms/MEU3A.pdf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:27 pm 
Graduate

KG wrote:

Thank you very much KG. I am obliged to you.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:31 pm 

OH and I both jumped through the relevant hoops to get our Permanent Residency slips - also printed on yellow paper, in the same style as the "Yellow Slip" so potentially very confusing.

We both, individually, had to prove that we had been living here legally for 5 years. I had a slight difficulty with this - they weren't prepared to accept that as his loving wife, obviously I had been living with OH, where else would I live! Not employed, so no 5 year record of Social Security payments. Not prepared to chop down half a forest worth's of trees to provide copies of 5 years of bank statements (even if I could find and was prepared to hand out all that info, which only shows you have a bank statement, not that you actually live here :roll: ). No utility bills in my name. A recently retired senior policeman was not considered to be of sufficiently "good standing" (I think because he was retired) BUT the village muchtar's signature was acceptable - strange, because he'd only been elected a couple of years prior and didn't know me from Eve, unlike the former policeman. But the Immigration Dept were happy to accept that as proof that I had been living here legally for the past 5 years, so I eventually got my new slip.

Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a previous life.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:40 pm 
Graduate

Again can I thank you for taking the time to respond. Our friends will proceed with this and we will follow in their footsteps in October when we have been legally resident for five years. Doesn't time fly?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:28 am 
Star

Non EU Citizens Permanent Residency is only valid for 7 years whereas for EU citizens they are as it says permanent. We paid a Solicitor to get ours processed as we had waited over a year for them and my wife was unable to leave the country during this period as her Yellow Slip had expired.

Jim

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:33 am 
Graduate

Jim B wrote:
Non EU Citizens Permanent Residency is only valid for 7 years whereas for EU citizens they are as it says permanent. We paid a Solicitor to get ours processed as we had waited over a year for them and my wife was unable to leave the country during this period as her Yellow Slip had expired.

Jim

Thanks for that information, Jim. That probably explains why our friends are keen to sort things out before they, and we, become non-EU citizens after March 2019. I wonder what will happen to those granted permanent residence before the UK leaves the EU?

I'm glad it is sorted for you and your wife, however.

Last edited by MacManiac on Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:28 am 
Star

We have now applied for a Cypriot passport for my wife; presently it is EU law that guarantees her right of residency in Cyprus as being the spouse of an EU citizen. Once the British lose our EU Citizen status there is no guarantee that non-EU spouses will have the same status; come to that there is no certainty that British Residents will continue to have the same status.

Jim

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body