Mr-Woo Chinese and Thai Restaurant

The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:45 pm 

Phoenix Ambulance…VERY WORRIED

Driving through Kissonegra I noticed that there were no ambulances outside Phoenix’s offices. I called in and the office was closed. There was a notice to say that with the merging of the Evangalismos Hospital and Phoenix Ambulance, the office was now closed / relocated to TOTK.
I wondered how this might affect Paphos People members from the Peyia / Sea Caves area so had a look at the new venture in case it meant Evangalismos was the only hospital you could go to in an emergency.

What I discovered was shocking to say the least… :tickedoff
I discovered that the ambulances now only have a driver and a nurse…NOT a Paramedic.(The Phoenix Paramedic consultant was sacked) I also found out that they now only have 2 Emergency Techs who are qualified to drive on emergency lights and sirens. The most alarming thing (to me anyway) was that John Thomson was no longer with them either!!!

What this basically means is that if you are ‘a member’ and have an emergency, an ambulance with a driver (who is probably not qualified to drive using lights and sirens) and a nurse will be sent.
That’s what the General do just now for free EXCEPT you are paying Evangalismos circa €400 per year for the same thing!!!!!!

The terms and conditions / covered services of my membership have radically changed (this may be breach of contract) and I will be closing my account unless I hear that the service I signed up for has returned.
I have emailed Evangalismos and specifically asked if I call out an emergency ambulance, will they confirm / guarantee 100% there will be a Paramedic on board. To date I have no reply
Maybe other members should do the same…….only suggesting :roll:

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:37 pm 
Forum Admin

seems like you have every right to be concerned ..
I would be asking for my money back ...

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:11 pm 
Idol

I wonder what the circumstances were for John Thomson to leave, perhaps he will post on here to explain.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:33 pm 
Top of the pops

What a shame, I know a lot of people felt much safer by joining the service provided even though it was never a cheap option.
Possibly gone the same way as a lot of businesses in so much as there is too much competition and not enough customers.
I hope those who have invested get some satisfactory explanation and outcome.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:42 pm 
Top of the pops

how sad
I truly hope thhat they can get it all back together

because this great service saved my life a few years ago

so another question has to be
can they still find your address...which they could because Bob verified where you lived, made maps,
took details of illnesses and medications used so that there was no driving to meet them in an emergency

sad news and a great loss to our community

I had been sending emails in to pay for another year and got no replies to my emails
this must have been why?

any further news...I would love to know

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:23 pm 
Top of the pops

Saddened by this news, thought John had finally got it sorted.

Please update us John.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:11 pm 
Idol

This sounds like they've just gone back in time by about 15 years :-(

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:09 am 

Migmogs

You should do what I have done...I used the contact form on the web site and asked if they can give me a 100% guarantee that if I have an emergency, the ambulance will be staffed by a fully UK / EU qualified PARAMEDIC.

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:38 am 
Rock Star

Whilst a patient in the Evangelismos on Monday, I saw John there in Phoenix Uniform.

Alan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:48 am 

emgeeb wrote:
Whilst a patient in the Evangelismos on Monday, I saw John there in Phoenix Uniform.

Alan

Correct. I am led to believe that was the day he left :huff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:17 am 
Top of the pops

Found this online, it is the website for Evangolismo and Phoenix Ambulance

http://www.ambulancecyprus.com

Seems that they are still going to be using GPS to get to your house
And that they still hold your medical details for when you arrive at hospital

Not sure about paramedics and drivers etc etc

Personally I have always felt safe...knowing that Phoenix where there for ourselves and our family

But the pricing structure is completely different

John and Bob ...we could do with your input please

As we are now confused wether to renew or not?

Many thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:35 pm 
Forum Admin

yes, but the question is ,, will the ambulance take you to the general hospital
or will it be compulsory that they take you to the evengilisimos ??
as soon as you walk in the door you start to pay for everything ...
I think thats the catch ??..
everyone is price tag to them ..

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:38 pm 
Top of the pops

Very true Neil
We need clarification on what will happen now

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:22 pm 
Rock Star

Neil

I had to pay the Bill before I was unshackled!

Alan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:58 pm 
Rock Star

In the link given there was an internal link to the paramedic services offered...it has been disabled...I would suggest that the service in its previous guise is no more....and has been subsumed into the hospital basic ambulance service.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:29 pm 
Top of the pops

The link below is off the link above

In about us
It makes for interesting reading

http://www.ambulancecyprus.com/about/

Looks like Phoenix is no more as it is now completely run by Evangalismos by one of it,s drs. Dr Nestoras Michael CEO of Evangalismos

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:04 pm 
Major

Dear All

The statement given by the CEO of EVH is full of falsehoods and misdirections, I have cut and pasted here so I can reply with the TRUTH of where we are today.

IT IS OBVIOUS NOW THAT THE PLAN ALL ALONG WAS TO FORM A NEW COMPANY THEN PHASE OUT THE ORIGINAL STAFF AS ALL WERE ON 18 MONTHS PROBATION AND BY LAW THE MAXIMUM IS 6

When we recently acquired the Phoenix Ambulance Service, our aim was to increase our fleet of ambulances and emergency vehicles as well as adding to our qualified and experienced ambulance nurses, paramedics and the technicians who drive the ambulances.

I WAS APPROACHED BY EVH IN MARCH THROUGH THE THEN BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT MANAGER WHO ASKED IF WE WOULD BE INTERESTED IN FORMING A NEW COMPANY WHICH IS NOW CALLED EV H PHOENIX AMBULANCE SERVICE LTD HE HAS SINCE LEFT THE POSITION DRAW YOUR OWN CONCLUSIONS AS TO WHY
I WAS PROMISED AN OFFICE OPERATIONS MANAGER AND WE WOULD CONTINUE TO RUN A PROFESSIONAL SERVICE AS WE HAVE DONE FOR THE LAST 5 YEARS (NEVER HAPPENED)
THERE ARE NO AND NEVER HAVE BEEN ANY PARAMEDICS WORKING ON AMBULANCE FLEET OF EVH THIS CLAIM IS UNBELIEVABLE, UNTIL THE NEW COMPANY WAS FORMED, AND AS WE HAVE NOW LEFT THERE ARE STILL NONE
THERE ARE 2 TECHNICIANS THAT HAVE STAYED ON AND THEY ARE THE ONLY STAFF QUALIFIED TO DRIVE AMBULANCES ON EMERGENCY LIGHTS AND SIRENS
NONE OF THE NURSES ARE EVEN CLOSE TO ALS (ADVANCED LIFE SUPPORT) AND PHTLS (PRE HOSPITAL TRAUMA LIFE SUPPORT) WHICH WILL SOON BE A REQUIREMENT BY LAW IN CYPRUS

Following this acquisition, we discovered some deficiencies in the organisation, structure and equipment of the newly formed EVH-Phoenix Medical Emergencies Company and I am very pleased to inform you all, that these deficiencies have now been rectified.

I AM A DIRECTOR AND MINOR SHAREHOLDER (20%) OF THE NEWLY FORMED COMPANY AS I WAS RECENTLY INFORMED THERE WAS NO ACQUISITION
THERE WERE NO DEFICENCIES ON OUR PART AT THE TIME OF TRANSFER ALL 3 OF OUR MERCEDES AMBULANCES HAVE PASSED HEALTH MINISTRY INSPECTION FOR EQUIPMENT AND MEDICAL CONSUABLES AND MUCH MORE
DEFICENCIES APPEARED WHEN A DEMOTED MATRON NURSE STARTED TO STOCK CHECK SUDDENLY DRUGS WERE OUT OF DATE DEFIB BATTERIES WERE FLAT, ITEMS THAT WERE NOT ON LIST
OUR MECHANIC CAN VOUCH FOR THIS AND WE HAVE THE INVOICES FROM HIM BACK UP THE STANDARD TO WHICH WE KEPT OUR VEHICLES ON THE ROAD
HOWEVER THE 4 AMBULANCES FROM EVH SIDE WERE WAY BEHIND ON SERVICE HISTORY, MAINTENANCE, BODYWORK DAMAGED ALL IN THE SAME PLACE YOU CAN GO AND INSPECT THE DAMAGE ANYTIME AS THEY HAVE STILL NOT BEEN REPAIRED.

As a result of these disappointing shortcomings, EVH-Phoenix Medical Emergencies Company is now solely under the management of Evangelismos Hospital and its qualified and experienced staff.

DUE TO AN E MAIL FROM JOHNATHAN ANDERSON PARAMEDIC CONSULTANT TO THE STAFF OF EVH STATING IN TRUTH THAT THEY COULD NOT PRODUCE A ROTA WORTH THE NAME THE PERSON CONCERNED WHO HAD BEEN REPLACED AS MATRON, MADE IT HER DUTY TO INFORM THE CEO THAT SHE WOULD NOT WORK WITH HIM AND IT WAS BLATANTLY OBVIOUS THAT THEY BOTH WANTED TO BE RID OF HIM AND HE WAS EVENTUALLY DISMISSED

You can feel confident that, should you need the services of any of our Medical Centres or the Ambulance service, that you will be treated with the utmost professionalism, commitment and dedication by qualified and experienced personnel.

YOU CAN FEEL CONFIDENT THAT YOU WILL GET STAFF WHO WILL TRAVEL IN THE FRONT WHILE YOU ARE IN THE BACK, IF YOU HAVE CENTER CHEST PAIN YOU HAVE TO WALK TO THE AMBULANCE, AND DRIVERS THAT CANNOT DRIVE LEGALLY ON EMERGENCY LIGHTS AND SIRENS.

YOU WILL NOT SEE ANY PARAMEDICS ON THE AMBULANCES

IF YOU REQUIRE PROOF LET ME KNOW ANYONE CAN CONTACT ME BY E MAIL

NOW YOU HAVE TO DECIDE WHO TO BELIEVE

I RESIGNED ON MONDAY AS I STILL HAVE NO OFFICE AS PROMISED AFTER 3 MONTHS AND NOW THERE WERE 2 OPS MANAGERS MYSELF AND A DEMOTED MATRON

JOHN W THOMPSON
EX OPS MANAGER
EV H PHOENIX AMBULANCE SERVICE LTD

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:33 pm 
Top of the pops

Oh dear John
I am so sorry that your dream of a properly run ambulance service in Paphos has come down to all of this.
You will be missed as you where the best.
But could an email not have been sent out to all members saying what was happening from last March and then finally this week? An email could have helped us all!
I did not know untill today that Bob had gone

thank you so much for coming on here to explain things to us all
You must be so angry and upset with what has happened

Phoenix was a triumph and something to be proud of, the way that you ran it

I wish you well in your future

Last edited by migmogs on Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:27 pm 
Top of the pops

Thanks for letting us know the other side of the situation John. It seems like a top class ambulance service is to be denied to the Paphos population yet again. I simply don't understand why the Cypriot authorities are prepared to accept this as the norm.

Jacs

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:15 am 

What are they up to? Did they just want the ambulances? Can you not get them to remove the word Phoenix from their title?

Why get rid of all the staff who knew what they were doing?

I know I am a MOD and should be impartial and reasoned BUT I hope the Medical Director of the hospital has chest pains and calls one of his own ambulances.
I WON'T be renewing if the original staff are not there :huff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:51 am 
Rock Star

I am a bit confused as to why a takeover was done in the first place, take overs and mergers always spell out one thing - the competition is worried, takeovers occur then after a suitable period of time has passed they asset strip.
Unless contracts have been signed which mean nothing over here, why not start again but on a smaller scale, get rid of gimmicky names and as Dave said call your selves "The Ambulance Service", stay away from the larger private hospitals unless cast iron guarantees are in place that said nothing is guaranteed.
I am sure amongst the Expat community here, someone would be willing to help set it up or lend a hand whilst rebuilding, this is a service we cannot afford to lose and needs our support.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:19 pm 
Forum Admin

is this not the second time houston has tried to merge
and its gone wrong ??

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:44 pm 

I am not a member of phoenix Ambulance Service but have been reading this thread over the last few days. One thing that strikes me as being very strange, is why Did the Director of Phoenix Ambulance Service not inform its members that a take over was going to happen. There must have been members that were renewing their membership to Phoenix whilst this transfer transaction was taking place?. I smell a very big rat somewhere here. Something does not add up in my eyes, and if I was a member that had just renewed my membership during this takeover period without being informed, I would be knocking on Mr Phoenix Ambulance services door and asking for a refund.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:31 pm 
Rock Star

As I said in my last post asset stripping, they wanted up-to-date ambulances and from reading this thread and replies was the merger a bit of naivety, or as in the last post by Eric he quite rightly points out a dirty big rat running about, something is not right here, Evangelis Moss would not have got all the fleet for nothing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:34 pm 
Major

Once again a new company was formed legally and called EV H Phoenix Ambulance Service

However the agreed way forward was changed before the ink was dry. I was supposed to be Ops Manager, as we were told to close our base in Kissonegra I expected an office, after 3 months still did not get one, after sacking J Anderson Paramedic Consultant and then making a demoted matron an Ops Manager on the organogram we had a meeting in which nothing had changed.

The information was put together and being sent out I had no control over the time scale, I had it put on our FB page weeks ago, our web page was also changed in April

We were overruled at every turn especially as we wanted to keep the subscriptions the same.

I resigned

There should be no change to the service apart from no Paramedics are working there no matter what they claim, unless some have started since Tuesday

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:45 pm 
Forum Admin

john , you must have been given some kind of payments from
each time you sold the ambulance service , first from when you sold out to unity
and the second time from the evangilsimos ,,
will you be starting up again and selling it on a few more years down the line again ??.

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:29 pm 
Can anybody tell us what the Law here in Cyprus is, regards setting up private Ambulance services? my concern is how legal are they, and if its a grey area, what insurance covers them..

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:40 pm 
Top of the pops

I do not know the answer about insurance but having met both John and Bob and seen the great professional service that they ran, I would have thought that that would have been covered.

What I do know, is that because they where running an Ambulance Service with GPS to my door...paramedics and medicines on board...my life was saved. I needed urgent attention, life saving injections and oxygen at the scene

If one of the other ambulances had turned up with no paramedics on board, and no vital medicines and oxygen, I dread to think what could have happened to me, as we live a long way from the Hospital and even after treatment on the spot, mine was a blue light, siren going trip to get me there, I was so ill.

What we DO need in Cyprus is an ambulance service with Paramedics and medicines etc on board, which is what John and Bob created here

They really do and can save lives.

It would seem from what keeps happening, that the issue is that it is not easy to finance such a thing here...."proper" fully equipped ambulance services are not government funded here in Cyprus like they are in the uk.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:23 pm 
Top of the pops

MM you are living proof that what John and Bob were doing here was exactly the level of service needed, and I'm so glad for you that it was there in your hour of need.

What I fail to understand is what part of life-saving procedures is it that Cyprus in general- and as far as we here in Paphos are concerned - the hospitals, and in this case the Evangelismos in particular, just do not seem to understand?

The service Phoenix Ambulance provided was exactly what is needed, qualified paramedics on board, able to deliver life saving procedures and drugs prior to reaching hospital. This is what saves lives, not an unqualified driver, not an unqualified assistant who won't even put him/herself out to even assist a desperately ill patient into the ambulance.

It would be good to hear some quantified posts from from Dr Nestoros Michael to give his response to this, along with details of the 'qualified' people now manning the ambulances which they have 'acquired' from Phoenix Ambulance Service, and also the input that John Thompson is providing to this service. Or not, in which case the reasons why.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:45 pm 
Top of the pops

It was also the hand over procedure at the hospital that was important and impressive.

The paramedics knew all of my details, age, name, address, illnesses, medications

They had it all..and quickly the drs where brought up to speed and where able to get to work on saving my life, knowing my full medical history.

The service that John and Bob had was BETTER in this way than the one in the uk!

Would the new service be as professional as Phoenix was?

We need this service back!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:44 pm 
Rock Star

This is a very slight tangent, but am I not right in thinking that there are now ambulances at Paphos General with paramedics?

I am sure that last time I was at A&E there there were a couple of people wandering round in green emergency outfits with Paramedic written on the back. They were definitely something to do with the hospital as they were Cypriot and checking patients as the department was short staffed.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:35 pm 
Top of the pops

Well according to Dr Nestoros Michael, who posted a response on PL, which has now been removed, Paramedics are not actually recognised in Cyprus. Strange eh? So who are these people wandering around the General masquerading as Paramedics???

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:10 pm 
Major

Neil I am disgusted that you posted that I must be making money by selling on companies

Houston Medical was supposed to be a joint venture as I had reached my limit of money input and turned into a takeover rip off for which I am still owed a total of €16,000 in salary

I was approached by the Business Development Manager of EVH to form a new company with them, I had refused to do this 3 times over the last 5 years, he has since left, a new company EV H Phoenix was formed this was done because there are changes coming to the laws regarding ambulances, crews etc, also to safeguard the staff and we keep the name, so the umbrella cover of a hospital seemed a very good idea.

I have gone from MD 100% owner with no salary, never taken one ever to a director of EV H Phoenix with 20% shares, promised a Directors salary whatever that maybe, instead I was Operations Manager without an office from day 1 at €1,500 per month, perhaps dividends at year end who knows, as I have resigned as ops manager my next step is to resign as a director.

I have accounts from 2016 that will show JWT CEO LOAN column to Phoenix in the range of €5-8,000 a month to ensure staff were paid on time, and a REPAID COLUMN JWT CEO that never managed to reach the amount paid in, anyone that wants to check those feel free, Bob Townson and Johnathan Anderson can also confirm this statement, plus my accountant he thinks I am crazy for doing this in the first place.

I will also make my personal bank and credit card statements available to anyone that would like further proof

Once again I reached my money input level as I no longer work away offshore, in gold mines or on survey ships since September 2015, by year end 2017 I would be bankrupt personally

Once people have read this I will be taking myself off PP, to have my Integrity and honesty questioned by the owner or anyone else for that matter is disgraceful to say the least

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:19 pm 
Major

There are no state trained Paramedics in Cyprus the closest they got was 5 years ago training approx 50 people over 9 months which does not even rate them as Emergency Med Technicians, nor were they trained to drive on red lights/sirens.

Only 9 were given places at state hospitals, we employed 3 more that may have changed as 2 of the three are now working in Polis/Peyia

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:25 pm 
Rock Star

Paramed, you don't know me but an old friend of ours, Leonora who passed away at the very end of last year spoke very highly of you, and for me her word is good enough. From what I have gleaned from the statements from EVH, you have been royalaly shafted..and I fully understand the reasons you thought the almalgamation was the right thing to do bearing in mind the future course "NHS" Cyprus is going. Unfortunately there are those living in Cyprus, on sites like this, that hunt in packs....they smell blood and are happy to go for the jugular, hey, let's not let a goodrumour get in the way of the truth..some should know better having been subject to similar "events".

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:58 pm 
Top of the pops

John I've always considered and judged you to be an honourable man, nothing I've read on this or the other forum has changed that. I do sincerely wish you well for any future ventures.
Truth will always out, eventually.

Regards
Jacs

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:43 am 
Idol

George wrote:
Well according to Dr Nestoros Michael, who posted a response on PL, which has now been removed, Paramedics are not actually recognised in Cyprus. Strange eh? So who are these people wandering around the General masquerading as Paramedics???

It has NOT been removed from PL, it has all been moved to the Paphos News grouping and locked.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:01 am 
Top of the pops

Thanks, I obviously missed that.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:47 pm 
Regular

We have been in Cyprus since 2001 and shortly after we arrived the Sophie's Angel project was launched. We have stuck with John all through the turmoil over the years and always been happy when using their services on several occasions. I am disappointed that he or a representative did not have the courtesy to inform old customers of the current position, my quarterly payment is due later this month and it looks as If I won't be paying this time. We now have an ambulance in Peyia and I can save myself 440 euros per year. Can anyone answer the question. Will the Evangelissmos ambulance take us to the General?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:59 pm 
Top of the pops

The ambulance in Peyia...is that the Evangalismos one?
And if so ...do you have to pay per emergency call out to your home?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:07 pm 
Regular

The a ambulance based in Peyia is from the General. It is based in a new portacabin building next to the Fire ENGINE IN the middle of the village. There is an ambulance outside the new Evngelismos health centre higher up in the village. I imagine you will be charged to use this vehicle........I wonder what qualifications the driver and accompanying person have?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:11 pm 
Master

Not a subscriber to the scheme, and note that this topic is being discussed on several forums and FB groups, but it appears that no one has actually been to the Evangelismos Hospital to find out what is actually happening with their subscription or with the ambulance service. Friends who just signed up in April are just waiting to be informed ............

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:16 pm 
Regular

The last post asks exactly the questions I have in my mind.
1. Is the Ambulance service still active.
2. If I ring the phone no I normally use, who,will answer it.
3. If. An ambulance comes to me, will it take me to,the General.
4. Shall I pay my quarterly subscription which is due shortly.

Perhaps as a result of this post, some one in authority will have the courtesy to reply.

I await in anticipation.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:42 pm 
Master

As stated, I have no personal interest but it seems people are not being proactive and finding information for themselves - if I was a subscriber I would have already gone to the Evangelismos Hospital and discussed my membership with the relevant personnel.

11th July 2017 - from this section of the website: http://www.ambulancecyprus.com/about/

TO ALL MEMBERS OF PHOENIX AMBULANCE SERVICE AND EVANGELISMOS AMBULANCE & EMERGENCY PLAN

Rumours and speculation continue to be disseminated on forums and between members. It is important, therefore, that you are fully aware of the facts surrounding Evangelismos taking sole control of the EVH-Phoenix Medical Emergencies Company.

As there is no current Cyprus law governing the organisation and delivery of ambulance services, anyone who offered an Ambulance Service could take advantage of this lack of legislation and they have promoted their ambulance service for all of these years without any specific control from the Ministry of Health.
It should be noted that the Ministry examination of an ambulance happens only once to inspect whether it is carrying the proper equipment and is in a fit state to be used as an ambulance. Subsequently, if they are not operating under a licensed organisation – ie - a Hospital or Medical Centre, they are not examined again by the Ministry of Health.
These are the main reasons why, when Evangelismos merged with Phoenix Ambulance Service, it was necessary to invest a considerable amount of money to upgrade the ambulances. Had there been a critical emergency and a Phoenix ambulance had attended, patients would have found no inverter for the defibrillators, one had failed batteries, no working air conditioning and all the vital medication had expired.
However, Evangelismos Hospital’s ambulances are stringently examined every six months by the Ministry of Health because they are part of a Registered and Approved Private Hospital. An English translation of Evangelismos Hospital Licence can be supplied to any member requesting it.
The former Phoenix Ambulance Service has said, on the forums, one of the reasons for their decision to join Evangelismos Hospital was because a new law is about to be enacted in the Parliament of the Republic of Cyprus which would not allow English paramedics to run the Phoenix organisation. The former Manager of Phoenix Ambulance Service has had to admit on a public forum that he not considered a qualified paramedic under UK law.
Evangelismos has always had paramedics on their emergency team. Mr Chris Laybourne who is especially well known in Paphos for his expertise, gives advice and training to our crew, drivers and nurses and he is instrumental in the Organization as a member of the Emergency Department.
All nurses in the Medical Centre and Emergency department have passed ILS training and they have had refresher training courses. The Resuscitation Council (UK) Immediate Life Support (ILS) course was launched in 2002. It was developed in response to a demand from healthcare professionals who may have to act as first responders and treat patients in cardiac arrest until the arrival of a cardiac arrest team.
Under the new laws being passed in the Cyprus Parliament this year, a nurse with an ALS is considered to be sufficiently trained to be on the ambulance. The Resuscitation Council (UK) Advanced Life Support (ALS) course was launched 1993. It is a standardised national course teaching evidence-based resuscitation guidelines and skills to healthcare professionals in the United Kingdom. The ALS course has also been adopted by the European Resuscitation Council (ERC) and the Australian Resuscitation Council (ARC). Our target is that the emergency nurses will start upgrading to conform to the new legislation.
The existing training, experience and support of our current emergency doctors covering the Medical Centres and emergency department of EVH as well as the on call consultants of every speciality is of a much higher standard than paramedics.
Keep in mind that the term “Paramedic” is not recognized by the Ministry of Health in Cyprus.
Under the existing law in Cyprus, anybody who has been trained to drive a Heavy Goods vehicle can drive an ambulance. There is no Emergency Response Driver Training in Cyprus although it is our plan that all our drivers can be upgraded to the standard of a technician.
The presence of a fully qualified and registered doctor and the 24/7 organisation of the Medical Centres with an “on call” doctor ensures that any medical emergency can be treated immediately and in the utmost safety offering the best practice for a health service.
It was impossible for any Ambulance Service, having only two paramedics (some working part time in the UK) to cover on a 24/7, 365 days a year, an ambulance service.
Evangelismos’ Team has covered, and is covering, all the events of Paphos 2017 with no complaints having been received.
The Evangelismos Ambulance and Emergency Service has dealt with many serious health situations and has saved several lives
As Evangelismos Hospital’s target is to offer professional and responsible safety for the citizens covering the whole district, from Pyrgos to Pissouri we have created:
Medical Centres in the whole district.
Created a Central Dispatcher office in Evangelismos Emergency Department.
Keeping an ambulance crew on 24/7
Polis Medical Centre
Peyia Medical Centre
Evangelismos Emergency Department
Aphrodite Hills Medical Centre
Supporting the Medical Centres with GP Doctors and Consultants on 24/7 basis.
With the explanations given above, I hope all members of the ex-Phoenix Ambulance Plan as well as our own current members, will appreciate the very valid reasons for the merger and will understand that membership of the new EVH-Phoenix Medical Emergencies Company will give patients and family members considerable peace of mind in the knowledge that should an accident or emergency occur, immediate professional treatment will be available.

Dr Nestoras Michael.

CEO Evangelismos Hospital

11th July, 2017

EMERGENCY AMBULANCE INFO 24/7:

8000 8112 (Free Phone)

+357 26 848 112 (Dispatcher Office)

MEDICAL EMERGENCY PHONE 24/7:

+357 26 848 111

INFORMATION OFFICES FOR MEMBERS AND REGISTATIONS

+357 26 222 912 | +357 26 848 110

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:31 pm 
Top of the pops

Navwoman wrote:
As stated, I have no personal interest but it seems people are not being proactive and finding information for themselves - if I was a subscriber I would have already gone to the Evangelismos Hospital and discussed my membership with the relevant personnel.

11th July 2017 - from this section of the website: http://www.ambulancecyprus.com/about/

TO ALL MEMBERS OF PHOENIX AMBULANCE SERVICE AND EVANGELISMOS AMBULANCE & EMERGENCY PLAN

Rumours and speculation continue to be disseminated on forums and between members. It is important, therefore, that you are fully aware of the facts surrounding Evangelismos taking sole control of the EVH-Phoenix Medical Emergencies Company.

As there is no current Cyprus law governing the organisation and delivery of ambulance services, anyone who offered an Ambulance Service could take advantage of this lack of legislation and they have promoted their ambulance service for all of these years without any specific control from the Ministry of Health.
It should be noted that the Ministry examination of an ambulance happens only once to inspect whether it is carrying the proper equipment and is in a fit state to be used as an ambulance. Subsequently, if they are not operating under a licensed organisation – ie - a Hospital or Medical Centre, they are not examined again by the Ministry of Health.
These are the main reasons why, when Evangelismos merged with Phoenix Ambulance Service, it was necessary to invest a considerable amount of money to upgrade the ambulances. Had there been a critical emergency and a Phoenix ambulance had attended, patients would have found no inverter for the defibrillators, one had failed batteries, no working air conditioning and all the vital medication had expired.
However, Evangelismos Hospital’s ambulances are stringently examined every six months by the Ministry of Health because they are part of a Registered and Approved Private Hospital. An English translation of Evangelismos Hospital Licence can be supplied to any member requesting it.
The former Phoenix Ambulance Service has said, on the forums, one of the reasons for their decision to join Evangelismos Hospital was because a new law is about to be enacted in the Parliament of the Republic of Cyprus which would not allow English paramedics to run the Phoenix organisation. The former Manager of Phoenix Ambulance Service has had to admit on a public forum that he not considered a qualified paramedic under UK law.
Evangelismos has always had paramedics on their emergency team. Mr Chris Laybourne who is especially well known in Paphos for his expertise, gives advice and training to our crew, drivers and nurses and he is instrumental in the Organization as a member of the Emergency Department.
All nurses in the Medical Centre and Emergency department have passed ILS training and they have had refresher training courses. The Resuscitation Council (UK) Immediate Life Support (ILS) course was launched in 2002. It was developed in response to a demand from healthcare professionals who may have to act as first responders and treat patients in cardiac arrest until the arrival of a cardiac arrest team.
Under the new laws being passed in the Cyprus Parliament this year, a nurse with an ALS is considered to be sufficiently trained to be on the ambulance. The Resuscitation Council (UK) Advanced Life Support (ALS) course was launched 1993. It is a standardised national course teaching evidence-based resuscitation guidelines and skills to healthcare professionals in the United Kingdom. The ALS course has also been adopted by the European Resuscitation Council (ERC) and the Australian Resuscitation Council (ARC). Our target is that the emergency nurses will start upgrading to conform to the new legislation.
The existing training, experience and support of our current emergency doctors covering the Medical Centres and emergency department of EVH as well as the on call consultants of every speciality is of a much higher standard than paramedics.
Keep in mind that the term “Paramedic” is not recognized by the Ministry of Health in Cyprus.
Under the existing law in Cyprus, anybody who has been trained to drive a Heavy Goods vehicle can drive an ambulance. There is no Emergency Response Driver Training in Cyprus although it is our plan that all our drivers can be upgraded to the standard of a technician.
The presence of a fully qualified and registered doctor and the 24/7 organisation of the Medical Centres with an “on call” doctor ensures that any medical emergency can be treated immediately and in the utmost safety offering the best practice for a health service.
It was impossible for any Ambulance Service, having only two paramedics (some working part time in the UK) to cover on a 24/7, 365 days a year, an ambulance service.
Evangelismos’ Team has covered, and is covering, all the events of Paphos 2017 with no complaints having been received.
The Evangelismos Ambulance and Emergency Service has dealt with many serious health situations and has saved several lives
As Evangelismos Hospital’s target is to offer professional and responsible safety for the citizens covering the whole district, from Pyrgos to Pissouri we have created:
Medical Centres in the whole district.
Created a Central Dispatcher office in Evangelismos Emergency Department.
Keeping an ambulance crew on 24/7
Polis Medical Centre
Peyia Medical Centre
Evangelismos Emergency Department
Aphrodite Hills Medical Centre
Supporting the Medical Centres with GP Doctors and Consultants on 24/7 basis.
With the explanations given above, I hope all members of the ex-Phoenix Ambulance Plan as well as our own current members, will appreciate the very valid reasons for the merger and will understand that membership of the new EVH-Phoenix Medical Emergencies Company will give patients and family members considerable peace of mind in the knowledge that should an accident or emergency occur, immediate professional treatment will be available.

Dr Nestoras Michael.

CEO Evangelismos Hospital

11th July, 2017

EMERGENCY AMBULANCE INFO 24/7:

8000 8112 (Free Phone)

+357 26 848 112 (Dispatcher Office)

MEDICAL EMERGENCY PHONE 24/7:

+357 26 848 111

INFORMATION OFFICES FOR MEMBERS AND REGISTATIONS

+357 26 222 912 | +357 26 848 110

This makes very interesting reading regarding the legitimacy of private ambulance services that have been operating for years.
It makes you wonder how many other medical services offered are under strict regulations?
Also, this is still a private ambulance service so presumably may not be used to transport a patient to the general hospital?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:34 pm 
Regular

I am sure that I have read that the Evangelismos ambulances will take patients to where they wish to go which includes the General. I would assume however that should the patient express no preference then the Evangelismos would be the first choice.
NB I am sure that I have been advised in the past that in an extreme emergency then it would be best to go to the General where there are A&E staff on duty 24/7 whereas the private hospitals may have to rely on urgent call outs which could delay treatment.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:38 pm 
Top of the pops

Look Folks Go and Speak to the Hospital in person. Get your answers straight from the Horses Mouth. I am not a member nor ever will be I am covered under the General Hospital and pay private if needed. :grin:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:06 pm 
Top of the pops

They have sent out and email to all the subscribers today, and shown each email address rather than BCC. I'm not happy that everyone now has my email and have written to express my annoyance.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:46 pm 
Top of the pops

Tallulah Savage wrote:
They have sent out and email to all the subscribers today, and shown each email address rather than BCC. I'm not happy that everyone now has my email and have written to express my annoyance.

Yes I got the same email today with 218 other email addresses cc attached instead of BCC
Not good news at all

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:27 pm 
Forum Admin

migmogs wrote:
Tallulah Savage wrote:

Yes I got the same email today with 218 other email addresses cc attached instead of BCC
Not good news at all

A nice little free email database for anyone wishing to use it..
I would be miffed aswell ..

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body