The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dog walking in the heat
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:45 pm 
Top of the pops

If you put the back of your hand on the floor and cannot keep it there for more than 5 seconds then it's too hot to walk your dog.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:45 pm 
Junior

I understand that there is a heat wave in Cyprus at the moment - TBH July normally is a little too hot for me although a bit different if on holiday.

How is everybody coping?

Nice beer or frappe at Muse looking over the town? I am dreaming again.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:00 pm 
Rock Star

Well said George, I would also,add be especially careful with the little dogs, their bellies can be so close to the ground and the radiated heat is just too much for them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:24 pm 
Top of the pops

Hudswell wrote:
Well said George, I would also,add be especially careful with the little dogs, their bellies can be so close to the ground and the radiated heat is just too much for them.

I keep tubs of boiled water in the freezer.
On hot days, I then drop a block of ice into the water of the dog's drinking bowl.
No need to worry about padding-about outside .......... She puts her nose out of the door and does an immediate about-turn, as do I. :sunny :sunny

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:25 pm 
Top of the pops

Our wonderful cat George...just looked outside the door and said no...and dived back under the bed...we have ceiling fans on in every room and we have shuttered off during the day at the windows that are in full sun...animals know that they don,t want to be out there..it has been far to hot these last few days....keep them as cool as you can
SYing that we have just lost our second clutch of swallows...the other five fledged beautifully...these second clutch under our porchway are now all dead from the extreme heat
So sad and the parents flew today after realizing that there was nothing else that they could do

It,s hot out there and in our houses...our house indoors tonight with every window open and every ceiling fan on..Feels like the inside of a kleftico oven...take care all...keep safe..and keep hydrated humans and animals all xx

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:50 pm 
Top of the pops

So sad about the swallows MM. This weather is so cruel in so many ways, my cats seem to find cooler places outside than in, tho that may have summat to do with the 12 year old in residence. So far, all good and healthy, come home for food and water 2/3 times a day, and always biscuits and water on the patio for ferals.

Regards Jacs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:50 am 
Top of the pops

While visiting Paphiakos on a very hot day I was very impressed with the steps they were taking to keep the animals cool.They filled plastic bottles with water and froze them then wrapped them in an old sock and put them in the cages.
I did the same at home in my own bed and it worked a treat,also filled hot water bottles with ice cubes and also put frozen bottles of water in front of the desk fans on the bedside cabinets.All helped hugely and cost almost nothing compared with air con.
You may all like to give it a go and good luck in all this heat you are experiencing.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body