The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Suited to the job?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:31 am 
Rock Star

Revealed: Boss of building firm that owns Grenfell tower insulation company is a government adviser on industry regulations
• Mark Allen is a technical director for Saint-Globin in the UK, which owns Celotex
• Celotex made the insulation for cladding used on Grenfell tower in Kensington
• Mr Allen is a member of a government advisory board that makes recommendations on building regulations
• The RS5000 insulation panels failed all safety tests after the tower inferno
By Rebecca Taylor For Mailonline
Published: 23:19 BST, 1 July 2017 | Updated: 02:05 BST, 2 July 2017

Mark Allen, Technical Director, Saint-Gobain, who advises the government on building regulations
A boss of a building firm whose company produced the insulation panels on Grenfell Tower in Kensington is a government adviser.
Mark Allen is a technical director for the UK arm of Saint-Gobain, an owner of Celotex, which produced the insulation used in the tower.
He is also a member of the Building Regulations Advisory Committee, which makes recommendations about industry regulations to Communities Secretary Sajid Javid.
The RS5000 insulation panels 'failed all safety tests' when examined by police in the wake of the blaze, prompting Celotex to halt its supply for use in rainscreen cladding on buildings more than 18 metres high.
According to the Department for Communities and Local Government's website, Mr Allen would have been appointed to the role for two or three years by the secretary of state.
Its role is to 'advise the secretary of state in England on making building regulations and setting standards for the design and construction of buildings', the website says.

He was selected for the role because?

Post subject: Re: Suited to the job?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:25 am 
Junior

Everything about the whole incident terrible but I fear an awful number of people, myself probably included, make compromises when looked in hindsight would make us feel uncomfortable. Unfortunately everything has a price. Lets just hope lessons are learned. Unfortunately I doubt it!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:31 am 
Top of the pops

Wish I was there wrote:
Everything about the whole incident terrible but I fear an awful number of people, myself probably included, make compromises when looked in hindsight would make us feel uncomfortable. Unfortunately everything has a price. Lets just hope lessons are learned. Unfortunately I doubt it!

Agreed.
Many may be culpable ..... but I doubt that any one of them acted deliberately to harm others.
We are all human ... and fallible !

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:50 am 
Rock Star

Quote:
We are all human ... and fallible !

Yes, but not all of us have been given a role where the safety of others should prevail over the cash saved.
By sanctioning the use of a product patently unfit for the purpose it was intended,he has caused the growing number of casualties. He had/has a vested interest in this product, so one can draw the conclusion that he would know of its limitations.
I find people's enthusiasm to forgive his criminal disregard of peoples safety, for personal gain via his company, frankly ridiculous & naive in the extreme. Hopefully the police will prosecute the barsteward!

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body