Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why are we not surprised
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:27 am 
Rock Star

Grenfell Tower blaze: Survivor still charged RENT after inferno
RENT has been deducted from the bank account of a woman whose home was destroyed in the Grenfell Tower inferno.
By James Murray
PUBLISHED: 00:01, Sun, Jul 2, 2017

Police say Grenfell Tower death toll is now at 80 people
The news came as calls grew for control of the council to be taken over by government commissioners after the fire which claimed at least 80 lives.
The survivor was upset to discover the deduction, said Yvette Williams, a Justice 4 Grenfell coordinator.
Ms Williams said: “She came to me and said she had just got her bank card and that she went and looked at her bank statement and they had deducted rent.

I assume they will claim that 'other matters have taken their attention', but the incompetence is there for all to see!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:34 am 

It's an awful time for everyone involved. Just a thought here, my tenants pay me by standing order, which means I have no control over the payment and they would need to cancel it themselves - perhaps she is in the same situation and didn't realise or remember, if it was set up years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:36 am 
Rock Star

Quote:
perhaps she is in the same situation and didn't realise or remember, if it was set up years ago.

I am struggling to understand how someone would "not remember" having a live DD for payment of rent.
Could it be that a payment was being received from a 'sub-let' arrangement, so she was still on the plus side?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:34 pm 

I think the problem might lie with the tenant not understanding the difference between a direct debit and a standing order. With a direct debit, the council have the authority to take the money from the tenant's account - which I don't think is the case in this instance. With a standing order, the tenant automatically pays the rent from their bank account - which is what I think happened, and for this to stop, the tenant must cancel the standing order themself. If the council helped the tenant to set up their rent payment in the first instance, the tenant might not realised it is within their control to cancel it.
Speaking from experience, some tenants need a lot of help to understand how their finances work.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:26 pm 
Regular

Who knows- if it's a genuine mistake it can be corrected without too many complications and no real harm done

It was interesting to hear today that the governmnet is offering an amnesty for those who were sub letting their accommodation in Grenfell Towers in the hope the can identify and quantify those who died in those flats. Quite what form that sub letting took I have no idea and how it relates to the sketchy information of the opening post really does need to be clarified before we can work out who the bad guys are in this particular case.

Grenfell was a horrendous event, but there appears to be all sorts of dodgy dealing by councils, authorities and tenants that are clouding the waters to an enormous extent

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:20 am 
Rock Star

Quote:
Grenfell was a horrendous event, but there appears to be all sorts of dodgy dealing by councils, authorities and tenants that are clouding the waters to an enormous extent

Three thoughts;
1. It would seem from the almost constant media coverage, that the ex-residents are now treading an all to familiar path in search of some handouts to provide that which they did not have in the first place.
2. The Council are IMHO definitely culpable, it is only the extent that now needs to be uncovered.
3. Why people are concerned about any illegal immigrants involved (i.e. the survivors that is) baffles me - cue Border Agency surely?

Thoughts continue to be, as per the title of this thread.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:40 am 
Regular

I agree about the illegals- quite why everyone is bending over backwards to make amends there I'm not too sure.

Britain is awash with illegal immigrants and the problem is only going to get worse. Latest UN reports stated that 70% of migrants arriving in the EU are not refugees but economic migrants. They are arriving in countries with massive unemployment levels such as Spain and Italy and are coming to the UK lured by the prospect of work, benefits and housing (of which there is insufficient to go round)

The combination of legal and illegal immigration into the UK is putting intolerable strain on housing stock, driving house prices and rental costs up and wages and living standards down ( a combination of which we have just seen in Grenfell Towers)

Allowing people who have no right to stay in the UK to remain is not going to help stem the tide coming Europe's way and the EU hasn't got a clue nor the policies to handle it. Italy and Greece cannot cope with the humanitarian aspect of it all, many of the other EU countries are refusing to take their share of refugees (Poland flat out refuses to take any) and more and more are going to be heading through Europe to the UK until such time as we get proper border controls back :-(

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:17 am 
Junior

Not to mention the amount of UK nationals who live in countries such as Spain who still claim UK benefits that they are not entitled to. I knew of one such family of 7 who claimed unemployment, housing benefit (for a house that they then rented out) then every 2 weeks want back to UK to sign on whilst doing fag and booze runs to supplement their income.
This was in a small village in the mountains. Wonder how many are in larger expat areas?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:20 am 
Top of the pops

Clarebear wrote:
Not to mention the amount of UK nationals who live in countries such as Spain who still claim UK benefits that they are not entitled to. I knew of one such family of 7 who claimed unemployment, housing benefit (for a house that they then rented out) then every 2 weeks want back to UK to sign on whilst doing fag and booze runs to supplement their income.
This was in a small village in the mountains. Wonder how many are in larger expat areas?

Did you report them ... or were you resigned to being acceptable to the situation ?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:00 am 
Junior

They were reported before I was told about them.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:45 pm 
Rock Star

Quote:

Given your location Clarebear, I'd say you were ideally situated to find out. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:09 am 
Junior

:sunny

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body