The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hillisborough
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:10 pm 
Junior

I understand that the police commander on the day has been charged with 95 counts of manslaughter.

30 years too late but hopefully justice will finally be done.

Why do the people in power just own up to their mistakes and apologise rather than trying to cover their tracks and blaming others?

People involved in the Grenfell Tower fire - Take note!

Post subject: Re: Hillisborough
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:50 pm 
Rock Star

I think an apology at the time, instead of a cover up by South Yorkshire police, would have done a lot to alleviate the grief felt by so many for so long.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:20 pm 
Idol

Glad to hear that finally, someone will be made to pay for their part in this sorry mess....

Too long coming for many and so much bad feeling left behind from people trying to lay the blame at someone else's door.

Let's hope there can be some kind of closure in the not too distant future.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:26 pm 
Top of the pops

And The Sun newspaper was just as guilty by spouting total misinformation at the time.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:32 pm 
Top of the pops

Agree Dave, but the price it paid of never being able to sell its trash in Liverpool again was very apt. Or indeed, anywhere else in the UK where Liverpudlians and their supporters proliferate.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:12 pm 
Top of the pops

Yes George. and quite rightly so.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:11 pm 
Rock Star

Living not to far from the ground we got the early local news, the flashback that I always get is seeing a policeman on the ground side of the fence and therefore having a better overall view of the tragedy developing ordering people back over the fence and into the crush.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:47 pm 
Junior

I didn't lose anybody personally although I believe a 2nd cousin who I have never met lost his life. However I had a number of friends who were at the game that day who came back seriously affected.
Unfortunately major incidents and mistakes happen, fact, however it is how people react that matters. These people cannot be brought back but how the families, friends and fellow football supporters (not just Liverpool supporters of which I am one) were tarnished by deliberately misrepresenting ordinary people just to save their own skin is disgusting. There are still people 28 years on who believe it was the fault of the supporters on that day. For that injustice those people responsible should go to prison and i for one would never buy that newspaper again.
To those who never gave up - we owe you a big gratitude and hopefully finally your loved ones can rest in peace.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:09 pm 
Top of the pops

Wish I wish there wrote:
I didn't lose anybody personally although I believe a 2nd cousin who I have never met lost his life. However I had a number of friends who were at the game that day who came back seriously affected.
Unfortunately major incidents and mistakes happen, fact, however it is how people react that matters. These people cannot be brought back but how the families, friends and fellow football supporters (not just Liverpool supporters of which I am one) were tarnished by deliberately misrepresenting ordinary people just to save their own skin is disgusting. There are still people 28 years on who believe it was the fault of the supporters on that day. For that injustice those people responsible should go to prison and i for one would never buy that newspaper again.
To those who never gave up - we owe you a big gratitude and hopefully finally your loved ones can rest in peace.

But what will happen if all 6 defendants are found not guilty?
Will the families accept those decisions, in the same way they would accept guilty verdicts?
It is good that the legal process is now to run its course - but the verdict/s must be respected, whatever they turn out to be, as must the sentences.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:23 pm 
Junior

Totally agree with you Geoffrey - and the answer is I highly suspect not but we should let due process continue albeit delayed by 28 years and see where it takes us.

What I am more concerned is that as it goes to court all of a sudden the defendants become unfit to stand trial. Perhaps I am too cynical but it is incredibly rare that the normal people are allowed to stand up to the establishment.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:45 pm 
Rock Star

I've heard two versions as to why so many supporters arrived to the ground late.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:28 pm 
Rock Star

Bassman63 wrote:
I've heard two versions as to why so many supporters arrived to the ground late.

Don't start quoting hearsay!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:10 pm 
Top of the pops

"Don't start quoting hearsay!!!"

Quite Big Nev, especially when it's pointless and totally irrelevant to the thread!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:47 pm 
Forum Admin

George wrote:
Agree Dave, but the price it paid of never being able to sell its trash in Liverpool again was very apt. Or indeed, anywhere else in the UK where Liverpudlians and their supporters proliferate.

I believe that there is to be uk football fans groups meeting coming up very soon
and they will vote to boycott the Sun Newspaper Uk wide , in order to make Murdoch
pay for the lies that they told over the years, causing families untold grief ...
good on them I hope it will be put out of business , murdoch has a lot to answer for ..

you can read about it here
https://www.thecanary.co/2017/06/29/groundbreaking-vote-three-days-time-beginning-end-murdochs-sun/

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:12 pm 
Rock Star

Big Nev wrote:
Bassman63 wrote:

have a nice sad day.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:20 pm 
Top of the pops

Thanks for the link Neil, I'm in favour of this, hope Murdoch gets what he deserves and the Sun bites the dust, much as I'm in favour of open journalism. He doesn't deserve to be party to that brotherhood IMHO.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:46 pm 
Top of the pops

Bassman63 wrote:
Big Nev wrote:
Bassman63 wrote:

have a nice sad day.

Bassman you really have to get a grip on the stuff you say here. This is an open forum and comments need to be verified and either attributable to a named source or otherwise proven in law. Failing this, owners can be prosecuted.
Hearsay and "I heard this", or "I saw that" or "I was told this" are not acceptable sources of information, particularly when they are unverified, as so many of your comments are.

Stick to the rules and the protocol and it won't be a problem.

If you need any help with this then just PM me, always happy to help.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:04 pm 
Rock Star

Bassman63 wrote:
Big Nev wrote:
Bassman63 wrote:

have a nice sad day.

You obviously didn't lose any friends or relatives.
You sad odious man.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:55 pm 
Rock Star

Big Nev wrote:
Bassman63 wrote:

You sad odious man.

The sad and odious people are those who make muck out of nothing.
If that section of the ground was already full why were so many attempting to get in to that section of the ground to the point that they were climbing over the wall?

Rumour 1 Their transport to the ground arrived late
Rumour 2 (substantiated by some local pub landlords) was how many supporters were still drinking long after the ground was open.
So please don't be a lemming.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:25 pm 
Top of the pops

Bassman63 wrote:
Big Nev wrote:
Bassman63 wrote:

You sad odious man.

The sad and odious people are those who make muck out of nothing.
If that section of the ground was already full why were so many attempting to get in to that section of the ground to the point that they were climbing over the wall?

Rumour 1 Their transport to the ground arrived late
Rumour 2 (substantiated by some local pub landlords) was how many supporters were still drinking long after the ground was open.
So please don't be a lemming.

"Rumours" - that is all they are; they have no place in this thread. Show some decorum man.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:45 pm 
Regular

A lot of things went wrong at Hillsborough and you can find fault as and where you like

The police force that day were not fit to handle the problems that came their way (and there may indeed be extenuating circumstances for that ) but it was the cover up to absolve blame and the malicious stories to reapportion blame about what happened that are the issues that need to be addressed in the criminal courts.

Incidents like Hillsborough (and Grenfell) alert us to problems which are sometimes down to simple happenstance or criminal neglect. Standing in the way of finding out where it all went wrong isn't acceptable behaviour by the authorities in charge.

Anyone can make a mistake, but obstructing justice is a criminal offence and that is what the police at Hillsborough were most guilty of IMHO

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:08 pm 
Top of the pops

Bassman you should delete your comments, enough of us tried to warn you. Not only are they (a) pointless, they are (b) unsubstantiated hearsay or rubbish, and (c) irrelevant. The verdict has been reached, what is happening now is the indictment of those responsible.

No one on this thread was detailing their opinions on what they thought went wrong on the day. Why would they, it has already been decided by much higher authorities than us or you. Yet in spite of warnings from many you simply had to repeat your gossip about what you think happened. Why??????

As I said,pointless and should be removed.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:45 pm 
Rock Star

You know I sometimes think that incidents like Hillsbourgh are the "Perfect Storm" a series of occurances that come together that create disaster...but some good come out of these disasters and they drive change...Hillsbourough did, Aberfan did, the Herald of Free Enterprise did, Grenfell will....Hillsbourgh was a terrible event, but I do believe you had to be on the ground at the time to understand the decisions that were made on the day...no enquiry will ever really understand the circumstances on the ground, an interpretation of the facts is almost impossible so long after the event....the crime, the crime was the attempted cover up...and for that there is no forgiveness.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:45 pm 
Star

Good post Hudswell

Jim

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:39 pm 
Top of the pops

Good to see we're on the same hymn sheet for a change Jim. Good post Hud.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:11 pm 
Junior

Lets just hope that when this terrible episode is over the families can at last get on with their lives and move on.

Only good thing to come out of this is that football is now a safer place (although far too expensive but that's another thread)

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body