Mr-Woo Chinese and Thai Restaurant

The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:40 am 
Rock Star

Again another accident in and around Paphos, extracted from the Cyprus Mail.

Three members of the same family were hit by a car as they used a pedestrian crossing near the Paphos Mall on Monday evening, police announced on Tuesday.
The Britons were hit when a man failed to stop at the crossing on Apostolou Pavlou Avenue, police said.
The father, mother and their 16-year-old daughter were transported by ambulance to Paphos hospital where doctors said the father suffered a fractured jaw and was kept in, while the mother and her daughter were released after receiving first aid.

This is a joke, yesterday My wife and one of my friends from the UK were coming out of Philippos near Coral Bay were nearly knocked down on the crossing, the driver of the car was a Brit an expat, he just smiled and waved at my wife as he nearly hit them.

Everyone blames Cypriots and the Russians but Brits are just as bad, hell if you are late for an appointment leave early.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:38 am 
Rock Star

Quote:
This is a joke, yesterday My wife and one of my friends from the UK were coming out of Philippos near Coral Bay were nearly knocked down on the crossing, the driver of the car was a Brit an expat, he just smiled and waved at my wife as he nearly hit them.

Speaking of jokes, I recall a very old one that comedian Bernard Manning (RIP) used in his repertoire of definitely 'at the top of the non-pc scale' of today.

It involved a game for bored motorists & that they would gain extra points by hitting certain stereotypes of pedestrians, only if they got them on the black stripes of the crossing.

It used to get a laugh back then, but these days would no doubt be greeted by a self-righteous silence.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:47 am 
Topgun wrote:
Quote:

Speaking of jokes, I recall a very old one that comedian Bernard Manning (RIP) used in his repertoire of definitely 'at the top of the non-pc scale' of today.

It involved a game for bored motorists & that they would gain extra points by hitting certain stereotypes of pedestrians, only if they got them on the black stripes of the crossing.

It used to get a laugh back then, but these days would no doubt be greeted by a self-righteous silence.

Are you for real :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:27 am 
Rock Star

Quote:
Are you for real :roll:

Bad news for you Coy, yes!
Be careful when you venture out, the sun is very hot here in summer. :roll:

These days I suppose the joke would have to be amended by giving more points when hitting a caucasian on a white stripe, due to the large relative change in the demographics of the population.

I've just remembered the name of the TV show where jokes of this type were told to the UK nation; Wheel Tappers & Shunters".
It featured the favorite club comedians of the day (in the days when clubs provided entertainment, rather than the repetitive noise posing as music, over-priced alcohol & illicit drugs of today) to provide humour to a largely downcast population, due primarily to the actions of the Labour Party.

Given the situation in the UK, sounds like a reprise 'box-set' is needed!
The luvvies wouldn't be keen on it though, I'm guessing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:46 am 
Bad news for me, really :crylaughin , if lusting over Racist fools like Bernard Manning is your thing...then you need pitying.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:16 am 
Rock Star

Quote:
if lusting over Racist fools like Bernard Manning is your thing...then you need pitying.

Don't recall any lust involved, he was just one of many comedians lightening an otherwise miserable UK.
Enjoy your Globalistic multi-cultural views, I can see where all this is heading & I don't wear rose tinted spectacles.

Remember people ignored ISIS initially & look where that got them!

Glad I'm in Cyprus & away from the situation.
Pitty away, if it rows your boat, as someone once said "frankly I care not one jot".

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:42 am 
Major

Topgun - I can't believe that you've used a thread about an innocent family being mowed down to try and express your racist views!
To try and use this topic to lead to Bernard Manning and then ISIS is pathetic, bigot would be too kind a word to describe the likes of you!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:28 am 
Rock Star

It's getting hot out there folks....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:28 pm 
Top of the pops

I well remember the Bernard Manning joke. It always had me in stitches. A great comedian who would be frowned on now RIP BM. :grin:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:11 pm 
Rock Star

Quote:
Topgun - I can't believe that you've used a thread about an innocent family being mowed down to try and express your racist views!
To try and use this topic to lead to Bernard Manning and then ISIS is pathetic, bigot would be too kind a word to describe the likes of you!

For your edification p.eddie (is this your nickname from school?), I wasn't expressing my racist views, just my recollections of comedy in a different era & how the old joke would need to be amended to reflect the current make-up of the UK population.

In any case if anything my views are akin to tribalism (look it up if it's confusing you) than bigotry.

I'm guessing you are a remoaner & watch the BBC?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:46 pm 
Major

Call it what you want to try and justify yourself.
And to assume that I'm a remain voter because I don't agree with you is pathetic, not all leave voters were anti-imigrant or racist, just the ignorant minority.

I feel this thread has gone completely off topic without justification so I won't be contributing any more.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:24 pm 
Top of the pops

shania wrote:
I well remember the Bernard Manning joke. It always had me in stitches. A great comedian who would be frowned on now RIP BM. :grin:

I do believe you are right Shania. Also Dave Allen, Benny Hill and even Jimmy Tarbuck would be frowned on today. I think it was the black comedian called Kenny Lynch, that in the 70's really broke down black/white barriers with one of the best one liners I ever heard, and I think it was at The Palladium. He said (to white people), "If you don't behave, I will come and live next door to you", which at that time was not only a brave joke, but a very clever one, and I had total respect for him from then on.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:04 pm 
Top of the pops

Could you imagine the level of jokes being cracked at the old WMC's now after the Grenfell towers.....

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:49 pm 
Rock Star

shania wrote:

As a Professional resident musician I worked with many of those comedians and quite frankly, today, the PC brigade would have an attack of the vapours if they heard some of their comedy.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:59 am 
Rock Star

Quote:
I feel this thread has gone completely off topic without justification so I won't be contributing any more.

Would that be to the Forum, or this thread?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:50 am 
Rock Star

Wavy Dave wrote:
shania wrote:

I do believe you are right Shania. Also Dave Allen, Benny Hill and even Jimmy Tarbuck would be frowned on today. I think it was the black comedian called Kenny Lynch, that in the 70's really broke down black/white barriers with one of the best one liners I ever heard, and I think it was at The Palladium. He said (to white people), "If you don't behave, I will come and live next door to you", which at that time was not only a brave joke, but a very clever one, and I had total respect for him from then on.

It wasn't 'Kenny Lynch' it was 'Charlie Williams', he cracked the same joke at the club where I was one of the resident musicians in the early 70s.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:11 am 
Top of the pops

Bassman63 wrote:
Wavy Dave wrote:
shania wrote:

It wasn't 'Kenny Lynch' it was 'Charlie Williams', he cracked the same joke at the club where I was one of the resident musicians in the early 70s.

Charlie Williams was a very amusing character.
Even Sir Lenny Henry could 'get away' with that joke now.
However some others would be 'pilloried' for attempting that joke 'in reverse', due to the PC brigade.
We are seriously about to lose the ability of light-hearted humour.
If we cannot be allowed to laugh at the stupidity of some, even ourselves on occasion, .... we will be left with, silently, having to put up with that stupidity ! ..... Not a good outlook on life !

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:57 pm 
Top of the pops

Bassman63 wrote:
Wavy Dave wrote:
shania wrote:

Yes, I stand corrected Bassman. A brilliant one liner at the time, and no offence taken by either black or whites at the time.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:58 pm 
Top of the pops

Topgun wrote:
Quote:

Would that be to the Forum, or this thread?

:agree Some are just so boring and pedantic.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:12 pm 
Rock Star

SFD wrote:
We are seriously about to lose the ability of light-hearted humour.
If we cannot be allowed to laugh at the stupidity of some, even ourselves on occasion, .... we will be left with, silently, having to put up with that stupidity ! ..... Not a good outlook on life !

And that is all it was with the Polemi banter along with calling Hull the 'City of Clutter' not 'Culture'. The sad thing is that certain members used it as an opportunity to have a go which I think is really sad.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:34 pm 
Rock Star

If it is the pedestrian crossing I think it is...it is in a ridiculous place...no excuse for the drivers ineptitude but put crossings in sensible places...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:52 pm 
Top of the pops

We have noticed that the stop lights at the crossings are very quick to come on to the RED stop and secondly that they are then only on for few seconds-not long enough for the less nimble to be able to cross.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:22 pm 
Rock Star

Yes Shania they are, but surely the pedestrian has right of way once on the crossing. Anyway if some drivers were to put there telephones down and actually take notice of what happened outside of their car and also to have some concept of time management the roads would be much safer.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body