The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pakistan Tanker Fire
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:34 pm 
Rock Star

Another mass death involving fire, Pakistan has suffered a massive loss of life (140 so far) Tanker turned over, locals tried to steal the fuel then it blew up, read the story by google tanker fire or go to BBC news then read, below are a couple of photos (in no particular order).

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Pakistan Tanker Fire
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:48 pm 
Top of the pops

Another very sad incident, killing about 148. The population in the area (Punjab) are very poor and so the chance to mop up some free 'oil' is understandable.
I remember a few years ago a similar incident in Nigeria where an oil pipeline was leaking and similar activities caused a fire and many deaths there.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:16 pm 
Rock Star

Geoff you are right very sad indeed, did not know it had gone up to 148, there will be more because some are critical.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:43 pm 
Top of the pops

lowvoltage wrote:
Geoff you are right very sad indeed, did not know it had gone up to 148, there will be more because some are critical.

148 was the latest number from BBC TV News earlier; they did say the total was likely to rise further.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:40 pm 
Top of the pops

Unfortunately the poor and uneducated lacking in any fear when faced with something for nothing and not having the basic common sense to not light a cigarette when stealing petrol has resulted in these totally avoidable deaths.
What a tragedy when we send millions in foreign aid which never reaches the very people it is intended to help.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:09 am 
Idol

Very distressing to see the images on the news a short while ago. Sickening that so many deaths are caused mainly due to poverty and poor education. That line of motorcycles lined up like dominos speaks volumes....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:02 am 
Rock Star

Quote:
That line of motorcycles lined up like dominos speaks volumes....

Yes it does, not quite aligned with the 'poverty' viewpoint really.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:07 am 
Idol

Don't be so bloody stupid and flippant...
There really are some very sad people with sick minds on here!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:19 am 
Regular

Fylde Filly wrote:

So totally right, Julie.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:42 am 
Rock Star

Artlin and Fylde Filly I agree with you both, death is sad and the poor people who have lost their lives had family, over this past few weeks there has been many deaths that could have been prevented but they were not, that is life but it is still death, lets think of those rather than folk trying to be smarmy.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:07 pm 
Rock Star

beverley wrote:
Unfortunately the poor and uneducated lacking in any fear when faced with something for nothing and not having the basic common sense to not light a cigarette when stealing petrol has resulted in these totally avoidable deaths.
What a tragedy when we send millions in foreign aid which never reaches the very people it is intended to help.

The lighting of cigarettes is quite common when dealing with low intelligent people and those who really should know better.

I am never more afraid for my life when I go to fill up in Cyprus and see people smoking whilst their cars are being refuelled.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:12 pm 
Top of the pops

Big Nev wrote:
beverley wrote:

The lighting of cigarettes is quite common when dealing with low intelligent people and those who really should know better.

I am never more afraid for my life when I go to fill up in Cyprus and see people smoking whilst their cars are being refuelled.

While chatting on their mobiles right next to the sign telling them not to !
One of the many abuses of common sense to be found in Cyprus and other countries of a similar ilk.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:19 am 
Rock Star

Quote:

Really FF, how wonderfully PC your vision of life is!

If similar people to these were in Alabama in the USA for example, they would have been termed 'looters' & probably arrested, or shot!

Their ill-advised actions resulted in self-inflicted death & injury for potential personal gain, give me a reason why I should boo-hoo their demise.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:51 am 
Rock Star

beverley wrote:

Another good post beverley
Even more reason to cease 'Overseas Aid', Pakistan is a nuclear power, they receive our 'Overseas Aid' yet millions in Pakistan live in poverty and ignorance as this tragedy shows.
Why are we sending 'Overseas Aid' to these corrupt countries whilst many of our own are stuck in the Austerity trap?
Despite the £Trillions in aid given for over 60 years these countries will be back next year with nothing to show for the previous years aid.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:19 pm 
Junior

In 2015 Pakistan received £374 million in supposed aid from the UK, but spent £2.1 billion on nuclear armaments, seems a bit stupid, but the guy who is CEO of the UK O/S aid programme only gets paid £600,000 pa so can't expect too much.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:51 pm 
Rock Star

Crazy Horse wrote:
In 2015 Pakistan received £374 million in supposed aid from the UK, but spent £2.1 billion on nuclear armaments, seems a bit stupid, but the guy who is CEO of the UK O/S aid programme only gets paid £600,000 pa so can't expect too much.

Excellent post

Another charity that pays its top 16 staff £900,000 a year has to receive 300,000 £3 pound donations just to pay them. For the snipers (one in particular) I could post a link but I'm not going to.
The number of people on Facebook that have started questioning these charities is incredible whereas 12 months ago nobody said a word. What the charities have done is to block those who posted questions or stopped them replying. Pinewood and Elstree studios are really busy these days making up these fictional scenes.

And Zuma in South Africa has a multi Million Pound private mansion complete with elevators. South Africa is rich in Diamonds along with the bulk of the worlds Platinum reserves yet we the them Overseas Aid.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:35 pm 
Junior

Overseas Aid is always a tricky one. Surely it is right that as a very rich nation we should be helping the less well off? However it will always run the risk of money being siphoned off by the corrupt leaders of that country and the money has difficulty in finding the true people it was intended for.

Whilst never questioning the generosity of the average British person I would question the motives of our government (both parties) when dealing with foreign aid. How many arms sales were made to Pakistan last year?

Alas no such thing as a free lunch

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:15 pm 
Idol

Topgun wrote:
Quote:

Really FF, how wonderfully PC your vision of life is!

If similar people to these were in Alabama in the USA for example, they would have been termed 'looters' & probably arrested, or shot!

Their ill-advised actions resulted in self-inflicted death & injury for potential personal gain, give me a reason why I should boo-hoo their demise.

But that wasn't what your comment was about.....
You're a pillock - and that's my last response on the matter to you.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:50 pm 
Top of the pops

Off top I know but. Overseas aid has absolutely nothing to do with aid, or helping people at 'ground level' to think or believe this is incredibly naive. It is a clear and simple method to carry out international pay offs to overseas government s and officials to 'keep them on board' with the so called western agenda.

By selling it to the British population as aid, we are meant to feel better about ourselves and a little superior.

Whoever pays the most will get the best chunks of resource use be it UK, USA, Russia, China or Brunei....

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:53 pm 
Top of the pops

"For the snipers (one in particular) I could post a link but I'm not going to."

Then it nullifies any credibility in your post and condemns it to yet more unsustainable and sensationalist rubbish.

Fair enough.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:56 pm 
Top of the pops

Wholly agree with your comments Tanny, but I really think it's time that governments - and I don't just mean the current government - were either more honest with the voting populace, or a damn sight cleverer at hiding their nefarious deals!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:53 pm 
Rock Star

tanny wrote:
. It is a clear and simple method to carry out international pay offs to overseas government s and officials to 'keep them on board' with the so called western agenda.

So you think that we should have been funding India, Pakistan and China's space and nuclear arms programmes and keeping China on board with the Western agenda? China supporting western agenda? Well that is a new one..
Did you know that there are more £Billionaires in India than the UK (sorry that I don't have the figures, statistics, documentation or photographic proof) and along with Pakistan are typically and disgustingly racist and sex discriminating countries?

Last edited by Bassman63 on Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:59 pm 
Rock Star

Wish I wish there wrote:
Surely it is right that as a very rich nation we should be helping the less well off? However it will always run the risk of money being siphoned off by the corrupt leaders of that country and the money has difficulty in finding the true people it was intended for.

After 60 years of aid Africans are no better off because the aid is handed direct to mainly corrupt leaders to end up in Swiss bank accounts there is very little or nothing to show for the £Trillions poured into the continent other than Zuma's private palace and the 5 luxury vehicles of a recently deposed African leader.

Aid should be distributed by the donor country's officials not handed over to corrupt officials.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:04 pm 
Rock Star

tanny wrote:
Off top I know but. Overseas aid has absolutely nothing to do with aid, or helping people at 'ground level' to think or believe this is incredibly naive. ....

Well there are an awful lot of naïve people in this country, because we're always being told how our overseas aid is to make the people of the recipient countries lives better, now you are saying it is to buy favours.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:10 pm 
Top of the pops

Bassman, take a deep breath and read what has been written. No where did I say these should be in any way supported, nowhere did I say it was right, your second subsequent post supports my own post.

Frankly if I had my way then NO aid would be sent to anywhere whatsoever. The government would be disbanded, people could make their own decisions and banks would be small ceramic pigs for keeping penny's. However its not the case but I would stop this constant gravy train of charity and the constant guilt trip they and the government want to try to heap on you to try to make you believe you are better off than you are.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:13 am 
Rock Star

Quote:
You're a pillock - and that's my last response on the matter to you.

Well you know best FF, afterall you've been around a bit I believe.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:28 pm 
Rock Star

Wish I wish there wrote:
Overseas Aid is always a tricky one. Surely it is right that as a very rich nation we should be helping the less well off?

But we're not a "Rich Nation". The UK is making cuts left right and centre, with pay frozen (Except for fat cats) and VAT still at the 20% austerity rate.
A documentary proved that our Aid rarely reaches those in need when a village government official was filmed charging villagers for a 'Water Aid' pump and then pocketing the money.

If it is to continue then our Overseas Aid should be distributed in a manner that the intended recipients are seen to receive it. It is no good 'Water Aid' patting themselves on the back for sending pumps that are just left at the docks.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body