Mr-Woo Chinese and Thai Restaurant

The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:18 pm 
Top of the pops

I am sure I would not, and I have worked in Supermarkets in the past.
Tesco have just announced a pay hike for their staff of 10.5% over 2 years.
This will increase their hourly rate from £7.52 now to £8.42 by November 2018; just above the £7.90 level the national minimum wage is expected to rise to by November 2018.
HOWEVER, ALDI currently pay £8.53 per hour, LIDL £8.45 per hour.
I know which of the 3 supermarkets I would work for!
Geoff.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:22 pm 
Regular

Maybe Aldi and Lidl expect more from their staff ? I have never shopped in a UK Aldi or Lidl, but if the waiting times at the check out are as long as I encounter here in Paphos then I suspect Lidl are asking a lot more from their staff that others (and they work at about 5 times the speed of the Paps checkout out staff :lol: )

Last edited by Ilex on Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:58 pm 
Rock Star

It may be better money, but it's at least 6 or 7 hours travelling each way each day and the cost of flights would still probably be more than the pay! :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:00 pm 
Rock Star

'Open All Hours' has much to answer for, staff at our local Tesco work all hours for one fixed rate, no overtime rates or night hours.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:11 pm 
Regular

Can't comment on the validity of the report, but maybe there is a reason they have to pay more ?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/3805045/ ... k-at-lidl/

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:46 pm 
Idol

Some years ago, employees at Aldi were also classed as "self-employed" and therefore responsible for their own tax, insurance etc... not sure if that's changed?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:09 pm 
Rock Star

Fylde Filly wrote:
Some years ago, employees at Aldi were also classed as "self-employed" and therefore responsible for their own tax, insurance etc... not sure if that's changed?

If I had posted that without documented proof 'George' would accuse me of posting 'Hearsay'.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:14 am 
Idol

That's how the jobs were advertised in our local job centre when Aldi opened their store in my local town back in the late 80s...

Employees were responsible for their own tax and national insurance. I saw them with my own eyes, no matter what the internet might say. However, it appears this may not be the case nowadays. They are in denial about it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:11 am 
Junior

I worked for Tesco for 16years and they
were excellent to their staff.
Perhaps things have changed now but at one time Aldi and Lidl only employed people on a call in basis, so they just called you when they wanted you as and when.
I am sure the benefits at Tesco must be much better, e.g. Pensions, Staff discounts, Sick pay etc.
So perhaps the rate per hour is slightly better but are the benefits!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:24 am 
Top of the pops

I suppose if someone needed work, then yes they would work there, the hourly rate is very misleading and other things should come into consideration with all jobs, such as the benefits mentioned above. The location of the job, the hours required, the training and skills required etc etc

I fa person were to work semi skilled at a Tesco (or similar mature brand) 100 meters away from home then it would probably be far better in most aspects than a job with double pay 20 miles away.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:15 am 
Top of the pops

tanny wrote:
I suppose if someone needed work, then yes they would work there, the hourly rate is very misleading and other things should come into consideration with all jobs, such as the benefits mentioned above. The location of the job, the hours required, the training and skills required etc etc

I fa person were to work semi skilled at a Tesco (or similar mature brand) 100 meters away from home then it would probably be far better in most aspects than a job with double pay 20 miles away.

I have personal knowledge of some owners of an Employment Agency.
Many of their workers are comparatively 'unskilled' and much in need of finance (N.B. Very few are the indigenous unemployed on benefits) .... e.g. immigrants and foreign students (whose own nations have part-funded their education ... but not sufficient for their survival whilst learning). The pay is not good but it does help them. They are transported, sometimes about 50 miles away, to contracted work (where businesses need them, due to no local workers being available). Those businesses would close without this service and some shortages of produce would be felt quite quickly.
Until the UK can balance the business opportunities, in areas where the population actually live, and provides adequate training of required skills .... I cannot foresee much improvement.
No amount of holding rallies/marches/strikes/preaching to pop concert audiences etc. will get that improvement !
It will take training, investment and co-operation by the government and the nation as a whole ..... A start needs to be made.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:51 am 
Rock Star

SFD wrote:
tanny wrote:

I have personal knowledge of some owners of an Employment Agency.
Many of their workers are comparatively 'unskilled' and much in need of finance (N.B. Very few are the indigenous unemployed on benefits) .... e.g. immigrants and foreign students (whose own nations have part-funded their education ... but not sufficient for their survival whilst learning). The pay is not good but it does help them. They are transported, sometimes about 50 miles away, to contracted work (where businesses need them, due to no local workers being available). Those businesses would close without this service and some shortages of produce would be felt quite quickly.
Until the UK can balance the business opportunities, in areas where the population actually live, and provides adequate training of required skills .... I cannot foresee much improvement.
No amount of holding rallies/marches/strikes/preaching to pop concert audiences etc. will get that improvement !
It will take training, investment and co-operation by the government and the nation as a whole ..... A start needs to be made.

Our local Car Wash is staffed by mainly Romanian immigrants, I know I haven't got documented proof and it's only heresy but I know a man who says it's true.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:11 pm 
Rock Star

Ilex wrote:
Maybe Aldi and Lidl expect more from their staff ? I have never shopped in a UK Aldi or Lidl, but if the waiting times at the check out are as long as I encounter here in Paphos then I suspect Lidl are asking a lot more from their staff that others (and they work at about 5 times the speed of the Paps checkout out staff :lol: )

My wife and I always shop in Lidl in UK.
Staff are friendly and have time to have a laugh with you. They are very friendly and helpful
I have never waited long at the check outs.
If there are more than 3 customers in a queue they open another till.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body