The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:08 pm 
Top of the pops

In UK we bank with HSBC.co.uk
Recently everytime we connect to it we get a message from my Malwarebytes anti-malware software that an "exploit" has been blocked, this being "VBScript".
Also, several aspects on "my account" do not function correctly.
We do not get this on any other website we connect to.
(We = myself and the OH).
I contacted HSBC for a "chat".
The result was I was told to use a different browser from Internet Explorer (v11).
But no explanation as to why, or what causes the problem.
So, we now use Google Chrome to connect to HSBC - no problems at all.
Has anyone else had this problem with HSBC? If so have you managed to find out what causes it?
Geoff.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:03 pm 
Rock Star

I've used HSBC on line banking for a good few years now via Internet Explorer and not encountered any problems.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:26 pm 
Top of the pops

Bassman63 wrote:
I've used HSBC on line banking for a good few years now via Internet Explorer and not encountered any problems.

Thanks for that Bassman63.
Well, as I thought might be a possibility, it looks like the problem must be in my PC.
I have Malwarebyte (anti-malware software) and AVG (anti-virus software) but neither show any problem with the PC.
Just one of those mysteries.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:28 pm 
Top of the pops

Geoff, it could be that Internet Explorer has become more stringent on certain sites recently. I have had similar with Firefox, that even warns me against logging into PP or even Virgin money, stating their safety certificates are not up to date. So I go on another browser, and all is ok!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:31 am 
Top of the pops

Wavy Dave wrote:
Geoff, it could be that Internet Explorer has become more stringent on certain sites recently. I have had similar with Firefox, that even warns me against logging into PP or even Virgin money, stating their safety certificates are not up to date. So I go on another browser, and all is ok!

Thanks Dave, that might well be it. Anyway, we now use Google Chrome for accessing HSBC so no more probs. Just annoying.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:32 am 
Rock Star

Quote:
I have Malwarebyte (anti-malware software) and AVG (anti-virus software) but neither show any problem with the PC.

Hi Geoffrey's,
I too used to use these two in tandem, but when I upgraded to windows 10 I reviewed their 'standing' in today's tech marketplace & then switched to Avira.
It is almost a year since I effected this change & (touch wood) have only good to say about Avira. I would suggest switching, as it would probably be to your advantage.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:08 am 
Top of the pops

Topgun wrote:
Quote:

Hi Geoffrey's,
I too used to use these two in tandem, but when I upgraded to windows 10 I reviewed their 'standing' in today's tech marketplace & then switched to Avira.
It is almost a year since I effected this change & (touch wood) have only good to say about Avira. I would suggest switching, as it would probably be to your advantage.

I'll look at that when they are due for renewal. Thank you.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:36 am 
Idol

Geoff, do you go through a saved link or a "favourite" location when you access the account you're having a problem with?

If so, try going in from afresh via the banking website by typing in the URL, making sure it doesn't auto fill the URL for you.... Sometimes, the site itself may have made a small change in their security systems which may account for these error messages.

Or, completely delete the original link and start afresh.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:47 am 
Rock Star

I have Windows 10 and access HSBC online through my favourites, having entered my password and a second question, then, to finally get on I have what looks like a small calculator where you go through a process to reach a six digit number.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:36 am 
Top of the pops

Fylde Filly wrote:
Geoff, do you go through a saved link or a "favourite" location when you access the account you're having a problem with?

If so, try going in from afresh via the banking website by typing in the URL, making sure it doesn't auto fill the URL for you.... Sometimes, the site itself may have made a small change in their security systems which may account for these error messages.

Or, completely delete the original link and start afresh.

I have tried that, made no difference. I was using a saved link.
For Bassman63: Yes, I also have to use the secure key (mini calc type device) or have the option of using a password (enter selected digits of). Either way same problem.
Using Google Chrome - no problem. Bit of a mystery; HSBC themselves don't know.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:06 pm 
Rock Star

The worst thing that I've ever encountered with HSBC was after using their credit card in Cyprus, when I got home I checked my banking, lo and behold double identical deductions, I telephoned and explained and it sounded like a certain PP member who answered with "Ho Ho Ho we've heard that one before", "can you substantiate this", "sounds like hearsay" until I asked him to tell me how can I fill up a car twice at the same petrol station.
"Ah yes I see what you mean definitely not hearsay". :smilielol

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body