The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pack Your Bags
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:28 am 
Rock Star

Mrs May unveiled plans at a Brussels summit on Thursday, which would grant a new "UK settled status" to EU migrants who had lived in the UK for five years.
But Europeans living here said they are still "panicked" and the proposals give "more questions than answers".
Britons living in the EU are also worried about what it will mean for a reciprocal deal.

If the deal is reciprocal I like many will not qualify under the proposed scheme, should I be worried, is it time to pack your bags and go back or tough it out, will Cyprus think we can make money here for border line cases, lots and lots of questions and a lot of uncertainty

Post subject: Re: Pack Your Bags
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:33 am 
Top of the pops

lowvoltage wrote:
Mrs May unveiled plans at a Brussels summit on Thursday, which would grant a new "UK settled status" to EU migrants who had lived in the UK for five years.
But Europeans living here said they are still "panicked" and the proposals give "more questions than answers".
Britons living in the EU are also worried about what it will mean for a reciprocal deal.

If the deal is reciprocal I like many will not qualify under the proposed scheme, should I be worried, is it time to pack your bags and go back or tough it out, will Cyprus think we can make money here for border line cases, lots and lots of questions and a lot of uncertainty

I think any Brit living here who is not registered here might be on dodgy ground, whether they have been here for 5 years or not.
However, Cyprus being what it is will probably declare an amnesty or just continue to ignore it.
If it is anything like the road tax they will give you a discount on the registration fees!
Geoff.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:44 am 
Rock Star

Quote:
However, Cyprus being what it is will probably declare an amnesty or just continue to ignore it.

Surely Cyprus & the Uk have a reciprocal agreement pre-dating the emergence of the EU/fourth reich, which means Brits here do not have to worry?

Can't see Cyprus killing the golden goose just for an edict from Brussels, afterall they continue to ignore most already if they don't like them, in a similar fashion as mainland Greece.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:51 am 
Retired expats here, shouldnt have much to worry about, people wanting to work will have lots to worry about.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:27 pm 
Top of the pops

As a large percentage of the British population here are mainly retired, I cannot see Cyprus wanting to lose the pension monies coming into the country. However, as has been rightly pointed out by Geoffreys, those British that live here, but have never registered as doing so (and some have been here for 10+ years), then they may well have created a problem for themselves.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:56 pm 
Forum Admin

it might scare all the cash in hand CHAVS, the are not paying into the system.

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:26 pm 
Neil wrote:

We all know Brits living and working here without being registered, come Brexit, Us Brits will have to use the non European passport gates at the airports, and our Passports, will be scrutinized more as to when we came, left Cyprus etc....good luck to the Del boy element among us, your going to need it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:45 pm 
Forum Admin

COYS wrote:
Neil wrote:

We all know Brits living and working here without being registered, come Brexit, Us Brits will have to use the non European passport gates at the airports, and our Passports, will be scrutinized more as to when we came, left Cyprus etc....good luck to the Del boy element among us, your going to need it.

I once asked my accountants (Lazarou) what percentage of brits working here, did he think were paying there dues, his answer was about 15% the rest were winging it ..

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:03 pm 
Top of the pops

Neil wrote:
COYS wrote:
Neil wrote:

I once asked my accountants (Lazarou) what percentage of brits working here, did he think were paying there dues, his answer was about 15% the rest were winging it ..

I would say he is about right at only 15% paying their dues. Of the expat Brits we know, either as friends or just as acquaintances, this end of the Island it is about that.
I cannot understand why the Cypriot Authorities don't clamp down on these tax dodgers and phoney health-care costs claimants.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:08 pm 
I once asked my accountants (Lazarou) what percentage of brits working here, did he think were paying there dues, his answer was about 15% the rest were winging it ..[/quote]

I would say he is about right at only 15% paying their dues. Of the expat Brits we know, either as friends or just as acquaintances, this end of the Island it is about that.
I cannot understand why the Cypriot Authorities don't clamp down on these tax dodgers and phoney health-care costs claimants.
Geoff.[/quote]
As a good citizen Geoff, why not help the authorities by grassing some of these scoundrels up, ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:17 pm 
Top of the pops

Not too late, all they have to do is register for a yellow slip now.

I am so pleased Mrs PD and I went to the trouble of getting the permanent residency. The transition should be as simple as changing a MEU3a for an MEU3 certificate.

As to how many workers not paying social security, tax and collecting VAT, there is no data available. For years social security have turned a blind eye, however after Brexit police in particular may be directed to be as tough with undocumented Brits as they are with Bangladeshi and Syrians. Time will tell.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:30 pm 
Top of the pops

COYS wrote:

Geoff.[/quote]
As a good citizen Geoff, why not help the authorities by grassing some of these scoundrels up, ;)[/quote]

I wouldn't grass on anyone.
What I try to do is appeal to their better nature, by talking them round.
Quite a few have now applied for their yellow slips, after I pointed out to them they could come unstuck with Brexit.
Some just thought that what they were doing was OK!
However if the Cyprus authorities got their act together, e.g. Immigration and Health exchanging data, they could minimize the problem.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:44 pm 
Thats good to hear Geoff, regards the Health checks, I know for a fact, that they do check up, we know an Expat husband a wife who were caught using their UK European health cards to get treatment, using the Hospital here, despite them living over here for nearly twenty years...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:01 pm 
Junior

Hi all

I used to leave in Paphos 12 years ago and knew of many people (both working age and pensioners) who were working on a cash basis and not paying into the system. BTW know of people also in the Uk who do the same thing and also claim benefits and are doing very nicely thank you!

Its seems like a victimless crime however people need to realise that services need to be paid for - if everyone paid their fair share then the overall individual burden could be lowered. Dreamland I know!!!

I am reminded of an article written by a Greek journalist which was published at the time of their financial crisis (still to fully hit in my opinion). It stated that the majority of people in Greece believed taxes to be a good thing, as long as somebody else pays them! Priceless

Paul

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:30 pm 
Top of the pops

Wish I wish there wrote:
Hi all

I used to leave in Paphos 12 years ago and knew of many people (both working age and pensioners) who were working on a cash basis and not paying into the system. BTW know of people also in the Uk who do the same thing and also claim benefits and are doing very nicely thank you!

Its seems like a victimless crime however people need to realise that services need to be paid for - if everyone paid their fair share then the overall individual burden could be lowered. Dreamland I know!!!

I am reminded of an article written by a Greek journalist which was published at the time of their financial crisis (still to fully hit in my opinion). It stated that the majority of people in Greece believed taxes to be a good thing, as long as somebody else pays them! Priceless

Paul

How true!
And some people feel sorry for the Greeks and their bailouts etc.
Mind you, Cyprus ain't far behind them.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:21 pm 
Top of the pops

Neil wrote:
COYS wrote:
Neil wrote:

I have to say Neil, I find that piece of information amazing. I thought that possibly 30% hadn't registered as living here, but 85%? Incredible!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:07 pm 
Junior

Back on the original thread,

Obviously the Brexit talks have just started so nobody actually knows what the final outcome will be, don't want to express my views on the wrongs and rights of the vote as I don't want to make enemies on first day, but as a nation whether we like it or not the country voted to leave. So get on with it.

The economic reality is that for at least 30 years as a country every UK government has not invested in training our own people and as such reducing immigration to the levels wished/promised for is a pipe dream. I work in Dentistry (unfortunately not a Dentist) and it is incredibly difficult to recruit. This is the same in many areas of the NHS and is a bigger driver in lack of patient care than not enough money. Politicians who make inaccurate claims (from all parties) do it for their advantage and not because they care about the NHS.

Regarding expats living in Cyprus , the reality is that they contribute significantly to the economy. In addition for every British expat living in Cyprus (don't actually know the actual figures) but I would guess 4/5 Cypriots are living or studying in UK. The Cypriots will agree to whatever is in the interests of Cyprus. Money is King!

If I was living there now I really would not be losing too much sleep. Whatever does not suit Cyprus will just be ignored!

Have a great weekend everyone.

Paul

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:58 am 
Rock Star

Neil wrote:

When made our planned move in 2008 I contacted DWP in the UK regarding transferring my tax etc and was told that once the form had left her office I was then no longer on the UK system and would find it very hard to get back on the UK system if I returned to the UK.
I know that I don't have written or documented proof but that is how it was put to me.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body