The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Queens Speech
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:48 pm 
Top of the pops

Her Majesty’s most gracious speech to both Houses of Parliament.
Image of The Lords Chamber

My Lords and Members of the House of Commons.

My government’s priority is to secure the best possible deal as the country leaves the European Union. My ministers are committed to working with Parliament, the devolved administrations, business and others to build the widest possible consensus on the country’s future outside the European Union.

A bill will be introduced to repeal the European Communities Act and provide certainty for individuals and businesses. This will be complemented by legislation to ensure that the United Kingdom makes a success of Brexit, establishing new national policies on immigration, international sanctions, nuclear safeguards, agriculture, and fisheries.

My government will seek to maintain a deep and special partnership with European allies and to forge new trading relationships across the globe. New bills on trade and customs will help to implement an independent trade policy, and support will be given to help British businesses export to markets around the world.

My ministers will strengthen the economy so that it supports the creation of jobs and generates the tax revenues needed to invest in the National Health Service, schools, and other public services.

My government will continue to improve the public finances, while keeping taxes low. It will spread prosperity and opportunity across the country through a new modern, industrial strategy.

My government will work to attract investment in infrastructure to support economic growth. Legislation will be introduced to ensure the United Kingdom remains a world leader in new industries, including electric cars and commercial satellites. A new bill will also be brought forward to deliver the next phase of high-speed rail.

My government will continue to work to ensure that every child has the opportunity to attend a good school and that all schools are fairly funded. My ministers will work to ensure people have the skills they need for the high-skilled, high-wage jobs of the future, including through a major reform of technical education.

The National Living Wage will be increased so that people who are on the lowest pay benefit from the same improvements in earnings as higher paid workers. My ministers will seek to enhance rights and protections in the modern workplace.

My government will make further progress to tackle the gender pay gap and discrimination against people on the basis of their race, faith, gender, disability or sexual orientation.

Legislation will be brought forward to protect the victims of domestic violence and abuse.

My government will reform mental health legislation and ensure that mental health is prioritised in the National Health Service in England.

Proposals will be brought forward to ban unfair tenant fees, promote fairness and transparency in the housing market, and help ensure more homes are built.

My ministers will work to improve social care and will bring forward proposals for consultation.

My government will ensure fairer markets for consumers, this will include bringing forward measures to help tackle unfair practices in the energy market to help reduce energy bills.

A priority will be to build a more united country, strengthening the social, economic and cultural bonds between England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

My government will work in cooperation with the devolved administrations, and it will work with all of the parties in Northern Ireland to support the return of devolved government.

A new law will ensure that the United Kingdom retains its world-class regime protecting personal data, and proposals for a new digital charter will be brought forward to ensure that the United Kingdom is the safest place to be online.

Legislation will also be introduced to modernise the courts system and to help reduce motor insurance premiums.

My government will initiate a full public inquiry into the tragic fire at Grenfell Tower to ascertain the causes, and ensure that the appropriate lessons are learnt.

To support victims, my government will take forward measures to introduce an independent public advocate, who will act for bereaved families after a public disaster and support them at public inquests.

My ministers will continue to invest in our gallant Armed Forces, meeting the NATO commitment to spend at least two per cent of national income on defence, and delivering on the Armed Forces Covenant across the United Kingdom.

My government will bring forward proposals to ensure that critical national infrastructure is protected to safeguard national security.

A commission for countering extremism will be established to support the government in stamping out extremist ideology in all its forms, both across society and on the internet, so it is denied a safe space to spread.

In the light of the terrorist attacks in Manchester and London, my government’s counter-terrorism strategy will be reviewed to ensure that the police and security services have all the powers they need, and that the length of custodial sentences for terrorism-related offences are sufficient to keep the population safe.

My ministers will ensure that the United Kingdom’s leading role on the world stage is maintained and enhanced as it leaves the European Union.

As a permanent member of the United Nations Security Council, committed to spending zero point seven per cent of national income on international development, my government will continue to drive international efforts that increase global security and project British values around the world.

My government will work to find sustainable political solutions to conflicts across the Middle East. It will work to tackle the threat of terrorism at source by continuing the United Kingdom’s leading role in international military action to destroy Daesh in Iraq and Syria. It will also lead efforts to reform the international system to improve the United Kingdom’s ability to tackle mass migration, alleviate poverty, and end modern slavery.

My government will continue to support international action against climate change, including the implementation of the Paris Agreement.

Prince Philip and I look forward to welcoming Their Majesties King Felipe and Queen Letizia of Spain on a State Visit in July.

My government will host the Commonwealth Summit in April of next year to cement its relevance to this, and future generations.

Members of the House of Commons:

Estimates for the public services will be laid before you.

My Lords and Members of the House of Commons:

Other measures will be laid before you.

I pray that the blessing of Almighty God may rest upon your counsels.
Document information

Published: 21 June 2017

From: Cabinet Office Prime Minister's Office, 10 Downing Street

Part of: Government transparency and accountability

Post subject: Re: The Queens Speech
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:09 am 
Rock Star

Quote:

Some laudable ambitions displayed within this speach, I wonder if someone is compiling the methodology by which they can be achieved (rhetorical)?

Do you think it might be a better strategy to evaluate the viability of the 'project' prior to committing to providing the intended outcome?

They conveniently forget the fact that if you continue to approach issues in the same manner, the outcome is likely to be the same - i.e. not successful! :banghead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:34 am 
Top of the pops

Topgun wrote:
Quote:

Some laudable ambitions displayed within this speach, I wonder if someone is compiling the methodology by which they can be achieved (rhetorical)?

Do you think it might be a better strategy to evaluate the viability of the 'project' prior to committing to providing the intended outcome?

They conveniently forget the fact that if you continue to approach issues in the same manner, the outcome is likely to be the same - i.e. not successful! :banghead

1. Which "ambitions"?
2. Which "project"?

Thanks,
Geoff.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:39 am 
Rock Star

I'd hardly call it a gracious speech, more like reading out a shopping list.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:51 am 
zorbathejock wrote:

Gracious speech, are you having a larf, Liz couldnt wait to get out of there, and who could blame her, a day at the races or spending time with a bunch of fools in fancy dress :crylaughin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:19 am 
Top of the pops

zorbathejock wrote:

"Speech" :- a formal address or discourse delivered to an audience.
"Gracious" :- a polite epithet used of royalty or their acts.
"Shopping list" :- a wish list for possible acquisitions.

So ?

We will just have to wait and see what is available .... Won't we ?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:12 pm 
Regular

Lots of stuff dropped from the manifesto.

What a joke that woman is.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:35 pm 
Top of the pops

artlin wrote:

Like the White Paper (very white), discussed prior to activating Article 50, which gave the Opposition very little to disagree with .... Hence the majority (of both sides ) voted for Brexit to continue .......

The Queen's Speech, also, gave the Opposition very little to query ...... Just keeping mushrooms in the dark.
The devil will be found in the detail, during EU negotiations ( as they have very little to glean from it, re. her intentions, either ).

Good tactics :-)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:48 pm 
Top of the pops

SFD wrote:
artlin wrote:

Like the White Paper (very white), discussed prior to activating Article 50, which gave the Opposition very little to disagree with .... Hence the majority (of both sides ) voted for Brexit to continue .......

The Queen's Speech, also, gave the Opposition very little to query ...... Just keeping mushrooms in the dark.
The devil will be found in the detail, during EU negotiations ( as they have very little to glean from it, re. her intentions, either ).

Good tactics :-)

Excellent tactics!
As the PM has said over and over no negotiator reveals their cards before they need to play them.
Of course there are many remainers, both MPs and amongst the public, who want to overturn the Brexit referendum result.
Mrs May must stick to her guns.
If she does not, then Mr Corbyn will finish up as PM, and the UK might stay an EU Member State.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:41 am 
Rock Star

Quote:
1. Which "ambitions"? 2. Which "project"?

Geoffreys please note; 1. ambitions = any desired outcome. 2. project = an undertaking requiring concerted effort toward an objective.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:51 am 
Top of the pops

Topgun wrote:
Quote:
1. Which "ambitions"? 2. Which "project"?

Geoffreys please note; 1. ambitions = any desired outcome. 2. project = an undertaking requiring concerted effort toward an objective.

But WHICH SPECIFIC ambitions and which SPECIFIC project???
Geoff.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:37 am 
Rock Star

Quote:

Any, or all of them.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:16 pm 
Top of the pops

Topgun wrote:
Quote:

Any, or all of them.

We are no wiser then, will have to wait for the film.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:24 pm 
Idol

I take it then that none of you saw HRH mouth the words "trash it" when she handed the speech over to the chappie so he could put it back in his purse, on Wednesday?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:43 pm 
Star

The Waspi group was not happy that they did not get a mention .

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Number6 on Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:55 pm 
Top of the pops

Fylde Filly wrote:
I take it then that none of you saw HRH mouth the words "trash it" when she handed the speech over to the chappie so he could put it back in his purse, on Wednesday?

And she still made it to Royal Ascot for the first race.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:11 pm 
Idol

Number6 wrote:
The Waspi group was not happy that they did not get a mention .

But they have responded to the speech ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:15 pm 
Idol

geoffreys wrote:
Fylde Filly wrote:

Geoff.

I think after she read that speech, she couldn't wait to get to the most important thing on her daily agenda.... wouldn't you after having to sit for almost 10 minutes of reading aloud a load of drivel that pretty much said (as usual), nothing of any substance.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:16 pm 
Top of the pops

Fylde Filly wrote:

No ! ( and neither did you ). :smilielol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:19 pm 
Top of the pops

Fylde Filly wrote:
geoffreys wrote:
Fylde Filly wrote:

Geoff.

I think after she read that speech, she couldn't wait to get to the most important thing on her daily agenda.... wouldn't you after having to sit for almost 10 minutes of reading aloud a load of drivel that pretty much said (as usual), nothing of any substance.

In this instance, that was the whole point of it ......
To give no information to the EU and to give as little as possible for the Opposition parties to carp about.
Very successful ! :uk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:26 pm 
Regular

The Queens speech did not refer to WASPI which I don't think anyone expected it to but later in Parliament the new SNP guy really brought it up and demanded justice for them. Whether or nor he really meant it or was just using anything to have a dig at the Government I don't know.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:31 pm 
Star

Poppytim wrote:
The Queens speech did not refer to WASPI which I don't think anyone expected it to but later in Parliament the new SNP guy really brought it up and demanded justice for them. Whether or nor he really meant it or was just using anything to have a dig at the Government I don't know.

When you say the new SNP guy , was it Alan Brown ? In his speech to me he only referred to 2011 change , or was it me who read it wrong ?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:57 pm 
Regular

No not Alan Brown No6 I have just had to look up his name and it was Ian Blackford who apparently is the new SNP leader in the House of Commons I think. He was quite vociferous referring to the fact that some ladies had only had 14 months notification ( don't quote me on this) and was demanding action.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:27 pm 
Idol

Poppytim wrote:
No not Alan Brown No6 I have just had to look up his name and it was Ian Blackford who apparently is the new SNP leader in the House of Commons I think. He was quite vociferous referring to the fact that some ladies had only had 14 months notification ( don't quote me on this) and was demanding action.

Scroll through to around 34:32 and it starts just afterwards:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... e-22062017

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:01 pm 
Rock Star

Thank you for the link Jules but that was Question Time where Ian Blackford briefly mentioned WASPI. I was referring to the Opening of Parliament ( is that what it is called?) directly after the Queens Speech where he was much more vociferous in his support of the WASPI ladies.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:03 am 
Star

Ian Blackford indeed did have a lot to say and he is obviously a keen supporter of Waspi .

A small section of his speech . And a link where you can find the rest .

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/ ... 5361#g64.1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:27 am 
Idol

Ah okay - we didn't watch it after the speech as we had workmen at the house concentrating on laying paving flags along the side yard, having the front driveway made wider and a new inner garden wall built. We've kept a couple of guys occupied for a while....

I will go through the link later today when we're back from Cleveleys. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:22 pm 
Rock Star

I must admit that I don't think his figures of 1 year increase pension age every 10 years is realistic though!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:42 pm 
Regular

From the Queen's Speech it looks like the UK has given up on austerity- hurrah I hear some shout :roll:

The country has a crippling national debt and failure to address that by balancing the books is not in the interests of the country as a whole in the long term. Tackling national debt either requires sacrifice, default or inflation, all of which are now apparently unacceptable to anyone or anything- so yes our kids and our grand kids are going to get handed an even bigger bill on the back of recent developments :oops: ( used "embarrassed" smiley, I could not find "ashamed" one on the list of options :evil: )

Never mind if Corbyn gets in we can start paying paper boys £10 an hour- I'm sure there'll be lots of Eastern European adults shaving their pubes off to get a bit of that action :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:48 pm 
Rock Star

If they were to stop spending money on vanity projects like Trident and HS 2 they could help towards reducing the deficit.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:56 pm 
Regular

Incredibly enough the spending on these creates jobs in the UK (and gives us security and modern infra structure)- they could stop EU contributions and foreign aid to balance the books surely ? Those don't create the same inward multiplier effect that a service economy such as the UK depends hugely on ?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:03 pm 
Top of the pops

Ilex wrote:
Incredibly enough the spending on these creates jobs in the UK (and gives us security and modern infra structure)- they could stop EU contributions and foreign aid to balance the books surely ? Those don't create the same inward multiplier effect that a service economy such as the UK depends hugely on ?

They DO create jobs, but still have to be paid for by the taxpayer.
Dump that expenditure and spend the money where it will benefit everyone - i.e. to enable the demise of austerity which is dragging everyone down.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:16 pm 
Regular

Marxists don't believe in balance budgets. They believe the more you spend the better off you are.

That works great if you don't have to borrow money and/or borrow within your means to repay- so by all means spend if you have a surplus and/or low borrowing if your economy needs a kick start and can handle upward pressure on the demand side

There comes a point however where that no longer applies and the more you borrow to spend the worse off you are - if you have full employment (and the UK is pretty much at that point) additional spending only results in inflation (which is a useful tool if used properly, but now is most assuredly not the time)

At this moment in the UK needs to start cutting it's deficit and paying it's debt back - failure to do so will affect it's credit rating, its very future as a financial centre and make the undoubted disruption of Brexit a lot worse than it need be.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:20 pm 
Top of the pops

Ilex wrote:
Marxists don't believe in balance budgets. They believe the more you spend the better off you are.

That works great if you don't have to borrow money and/or borrow within your means to repay- so by all means spend if you have a surplus and/or low borrowing if your economy needs a kick start and can handle upward pressure on the demand side

There comes a point however where that no longer applies and the more you borrow to spend the worse off you are - if you have full employment (and the UK is pretty much at that point) additional spending only results in inflation (which is a useful tool if used properly, but now is most assuredly not the time)

At this moment in the UK needs to start cutting it's deficit and paying it's debt back - failure to do so will affect it's credit rating, its very future as a financial centre and make the undoubted disruption of Brexit a lot worse than it need be.

How come, then, that the current Conservative Govt has been borrowing even more than before recently?
Are they Marxists?
Geoff.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:33 pm 
Regular

No :roll:

UK borrowing has been coming down every year since 2010. !!!! You have to wean electorates off the money teat :lol:

Obviously if you are still borrowing the national debt still goes up, but if the government had to implement real austerity there would have been riots on the street :roll:

As it was the deficit was coming down, it won't be coming down much at all in the next few years, Britain's debt will continue to rise and it's credit rating will be adversely affected, requiring more cuts to services to cover the increased cost of the borrowings

The current government has been trying it's best to reduce the deficit- the deficit and the debt are two totally different things. To reduce the latter you have to eliminate the former, and that is a tough ask. The UK has only run a budget surplus about twice in the last 40 years and it's our kids that will pay the price of that appalling state of affairs (although the last election suggested that "our" kids are quite happy to pass the buck on to "their" kids :doh )

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body