The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rehousing Fire Survivors
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:09 pm 
Rock Star

This will probably anger many in the UK, it will definitely fuel the racist debate.

BREAKING NEWS - Survivors of the Grenfell Tower fire are to be rehomed in a luxury housing development in the heart of Kensington, the government has said.
Sixty-eight one and two-bedroom flats have been acquired at the Kensington Row development, it added.
The apartments are "newly-built social housing" in a complex where the price of private homes starts at £1.5m.

The complex includes a 24-hour concierge service and a private cinema, the website of developer St Edward's says.
The Department for Communities and Local Government said extra public money had been found so the flats could be fitted out more quickly.
It said the "expectation is that these new properties will be offered as one of the options to permanently rehouse residents from Grenfell Tower".

Ok I feel sorry for them, but this is rubbing the noses of those genuine UK folk struggling, rubbing salt into the wounds of those who are on the streets homeless, level playing field please not yet again political correctness or MP's trying to make amends

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:30 pm 
Top of the pops

lowvoltage wrote:
This will probably anger many in the UK, it will definitely fuel the racist debate.

BREAKING NEWS - Survivors of the Grenfell Tower fire are to be rehomed in a luxury housing development in the heart of Kensington, the government has said.
Sixty-eight one and two-bedroom flats have been acquired at the Kensington Row development, it added.
The apartments are "newly-built social housing" in a complex where the price of private homes starts at £1.5m.

The complex includes a 24-hour concierge service and a private cinema, the website of developer St Edward's says.
The Department for Communities and Local Government said extra public money had been found so the flats could be fitted out more quickly.
It said the "expectation is that these new properties will be offered as one of the options to permanently rehouse residents from Grenfell Tower".

Ok I feel sorry for them, but this is rubbing the noses of those genuine UK folk struggling, rubbing salt into the wounds of those who are on the streets homeless, level playing field please not yet again political correctness or MP's trying to make amends

I feel sorry for them also, but this is extracting the Michael.
Those of them who came to the UK as Asylum Seekers must be thinking all their Ramadans have come at once.
This sort of thing is why my youngest daughter, hubby, and my 2 grandchildren, are emigrating to Canada in August. She works in Hammersmith, commuting down there for 3 days a week from Nottingham area; working from home the rest of the week.
Her children are at State School - poor by our standards and full of immigrants who speak little English, class sizes 30+, and badly under-funded.
She earns a 6 figure salary thus paying much tax - for what she now asks? She cannot afford such a flat in Kensington!
Incidentally her journey to Hammersmith by tube from Kings X is currently disrupted as the line runs by Glenfell Tower and service has been suspended.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:45 pm 
Regular

Actual uk government report here

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/firs ... r-disaster

It is one of the options on offer.

It is the borough of Kensington and Chelsea that are making the offer.

Seems the right thing to do.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:46 am 
Top of the pops

artlin wrote:
Actual uk government report here

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/firs ... r-disaster

It is one of the options on offer.

It is the borough of Kensington and Chelsea that are making the offer.

Seems the right thing to do.

The Chief Executive of the Kensington & Chelsea Council knows what the right thing to do is - he resigned yesterday!
Geoff.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:14 am 
Major

lowvoltage wrote:

A terrible tragedy of course, but plenty of people have lost everything in a house fire yet certainly never received £5500 compensation payments from HM Govt. and/or rehoused in this way.
I can see civil war breaking out in the UK.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:41 am 
Regular

This is classed as social housing so it would seem appropriate to me . Anywhere in London is expensive and I would suppose that the rents reflect that. If any of the survivors are on benefits then as far as I am aware they only get help to what is deemed a fair rent. What do you expect the council to do - evict people out of lower grade homes to house these survivors? I am sure that everyone of them would wish they were all still in Grenfell Tower and safe and that this had never happened.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:49 am 
I agree with the previous posts, if they were correct, but its not, they will not get all the frills, cinema, pools etc etc, they will get a council flat that just happens to be build on that site but with out all the frills, yes I would love to live at that address, but people who have posted on this thread, would be taken more seriously if you stuck to the facts.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:07 pm 
Regular

COYS wrote:
I agree with the previous posts, if they were correct, but its not, they will not get all the frills, cinema, pools etc etc, they will get a council flat that just happens to be build on that site but with out all the frills, yes I would love to live at that address, but people who have posted on this thread, would be taken more seriously if you stuck to the facts.

Never let facts get in the way of a good wind up!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:34 pm 
Top of the pops

Lowvoltage, in his original post that started this thread, said:
"This will probably anger many in the UK, it will definitely fuel the racist debate"
Very true!
As will the PM's comments to the House of Commons this morning when she advised Members that in assessing the on-going needs of residents of Glenfell affected by the fire, no immigration checks would be made. On-going needs include the tax free cash handouts (£5.5K minimum) per family, and re-housing requirements etc.
Her statement suggests that the authorities expect some residents were illegal immigrants.
She also confirmed that any surviving residents would be re-housed but if they were not satisfied with the new accommodation offered then they could refuse it and await something better; such as the luxury flats being made available from the private property developer. Such flats command a sale price on the market of up to £8.5M for a 4-bedroom unit. And are currently being finished off (second fix) by contractors at Govt Taxpayers expense and should be available by the end of July.
These are the ones mentioned by lowvoltage in another post of his as part of this (his) thread.
She went on to say that whatever new accommodation was provided and accepted no tenant would be asked to pay more rent than they paid at Glenfell.
One MP was said to mutter from a sedentary position "that will keep the housing benefit bill down then".
As I said in another post any such ex-Glenfell residents will be thinking all their Ramadans have come at once, especially if they are/were asylum seekers, or illegals immigrants.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:44 pm 
Top of the pops

I would like to know how there were 120 flats made up of 1 and 2 bedrooms, many missing were elderly living alone, how are there 180 families claiming the government money and rehousing etc? Some of the flats were owner occupied and others were owned and rented out by private landlords so why is it the governments and local councils job to rehouse them all? I am not saying that these poor people don't need help and don't deserve to be found shelter and assistance but surely this is not being fairly dealt with. As owners should have insurance and tenants are told that they have a duty to insure their own goods.
When I look at all the terrible floods that have occured and other fires in both private and council or privately rented out homes it seems that the British people can look after themselves but the government musn't be seen to treat the ethnic minorities etc the same.
It is really no wonder that an awful lot of people in the UK are pretty fed up with it all and demanding parity.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:24 pm 
Regular

Geoff don't exagerate and get your facts right. The apartments that apparently will be offered to the survivors stand alongside the luxury ones. They are social housing and do not command prices in the region of 8 million!!. You are as bad as the Media!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:19 pm 
Regular

Beverley and Poppy :goodpost s

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:59 am 
Top of the pops

Poppytim wrote:
Geoff don't exagerate and get your facts right. The apartments that apparently will be offered to the survivors stand alongside the luxury ones. They are social housing and do not command prices in the region of 8 million!!. You are as bad as the Media!!

I was quoting Mrs May when she updated the House yesterday morning.
They are a private development being requisitioned for social housing, following that arrangement being offered to the Govt by the developer.
They were built as luxury flats but not yet fitted out as such.
They are alongside other luxury flats that have the private cinema, concierge, etc.
As luxury flats the selling price is £1.5M for 1-bed, £8.5M for a 4-bed.
I take it you did not watch her speech!
The matter was further discussed on SKY News-UK's program "The Pledge" last night; confirming those figures and the facts as I reported them for info of other forum members.
I take it you did not watch that program either.
Geoff.
P.S. The price the Govt are paying the developer for these 68 dwellings was not disclosed, neither was the cost of fitting them out as social housing. They will be ready for occupation end of July, IF the contractors finish on time (Mrs May said).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:19 am 
Rock Star

Quote:
They are a private development being requisitioned for social housing

Glad I wasn't a 'private buyer' before this happened, the 'luxury' handle will definitely not be how this place will be described in a couple of years.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:45 am 
Top of the pops

Topgun wrote:
Quote:
They are a private development being requisitioned for social housing

Glad I wasn't a 'private buyer' before this happened, the 'luxury' handle will definitely not be how this place will be described in a couple of years.

Yes, and the bottom has just fallen out of the value of what they thought was their investment.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:08 am 
Regular

Yes Geoff I did watch her speech and nowhere did she say that these flats were 8 million for the 4 beds. I am here in the UK and probably hearing and seeing more than you and I repeat these 1 and 2 bed flats are adjacent to the luxury ones. I have no doubt that they would be expensive due to the location howeve
the media have got to be more responsible in these situations and report facts not fiction or there are going to be riots.

Last edited by Poppytim on Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:08 am 
Top of the pops

geoffreys wrote:
Poppytim wrote:

They are a private development being requisitioned for social housing, following that arrangement being offered to the Govt by the developer.
They are alongside other luxury flats that have the private cinema, concierge, etc.
The matter was further discussed on SKY News-UK's program "The Pledge" last night; confirming those figures and the facts as I reported them for info of other forum members.
Geoff.
P.S. The price the Govt are paying the developer for these 68 dwellings was not disclosed, neither was the cost of fitting them out as social housing. They will be ready for occupation end of July, IF the contractors finish on time (Mrs May said).

I watched those programmes.
And I understood that the properties are to be transferred to the Kensington Council Authority at 'cost price' by the builders.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:24 am 
Top of the pops

SFD wrote:
geoffreys wrote:
Poppytim wrote:

Geoff.

I watched those programmes.
And I understood that the properties are to be transferred to the Kensington Council Authority at 'cost price' by the builders.

Thank you SFD, I hope Poppytim is reading all this stuff. Even at 'cost price' a very expensive purchase which can only be devisive amongst council tax payers in Kensington and Chelsea.
Especially if, as Mrs May suggested, there might be some illegal immigrants amongst those being re-housed; as lowvoltage said in his OP this will only fuel the racist debate.
Geoff.
P.S. see also:
www.bbc.com/news/uk-40357280

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:42 am 
Rock Star

Presumably, the Council has a list of the tenants and only they will receive compensation?

Alan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:51 am 
Instead of winging on here, get yourself s back to the UK, throw your passports away and claim asylum, you never know you might get a luxury pad in Kensington. :crylaughin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:03 am 
Top of the pops

COYS wrote:
Instead of winging on here, get yourself s back to the UK, throw your passports away and claim asylum, you never know you might get a luxury pad in Kensington. :crylaughin

Who is "winging", COYS ?
It is a tragic situation ... not funny at all !
However, I have kept my UK property .... and .... British Passport.
I do not need 'luxury' to survive and be happy .... and will return when/if I feel the need.
That does not detract from the sad situation of anyone who does not have 'a roof over their head'.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:18 am 
Top of the pops

emgeeb wrote:
Presumably, the Council has a list of the tenants and only they will receive compensation?

Alan

Correct, including any who are illegal immigrants (but weren't known previously to be so).
Mrs May said that there would be no immigration checks.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:34 am 
SFD wrote:
COYS wrote:

Who is "winging", COYS ?
I do not need 'luxury' to survive and be happy .... and will return when/if I feel the need.
That does not detract from the sad situation of anyone who does not have 'a roof over their head'.

It was a pop at those winging at people getting luxury flats, ...but the smilie at the end was lost on you?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:17 pm 
Top of the pops

COYS wrote:
SFD wrote:
COYS wrote:

Who is "winging", COYS ?

It was a pop at those winging at people getting luxury flats, ...but the smilie at the end was lost on you?

I think the 'spelling' was, too ! ;)
I've got to fly 'h for high' now :doh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:48 pm 
Who is "winging", COYS ?
That does not detract from the sad situation of anyone who does not have 'a roof over their head'.[/quote]
It was a pop at those winging at people getting luxury flats, ...but the smilie at the end was lost on you?[/quote]
I've got to fly 'h for high' now :doh[/quote]

A spelling monitor, happy for you :roll:

to get serious again, I think this explains alot,

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busin ... 03356.html

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:05 pm 
Top of the pops

COYS wrote:
Who is "winging", COYS ?

It was a pop at those winging at people getting luxury flats, ...but the smilie at the end was lost on you?[/quote]
I've got to fly 'h for high' now :doh[/quote]

A spelling monitor, happy for you :roll:

to get serious again, I think this explains alot,

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busin ... 03356.html[/quote]

Nothing new in that link ... just as expected.
However, it does show that housing can be built faster, when required.
The developers should not profit, from taxpayers' money, by building social housing. They will get sufficient profit from the adjacent luxury homes.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:16 pm 
Top of the pops

COYS said:
"...to get serious again, I think this explains a lot:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busin ... 03356.html[/quote]"

Not really, it tells us nothing new whatsoever.
Fact is the land these social housing dwellings are built on is in the most expensive area, where many people working in London would love to reside if they could afford it.
No doubt some of these units will finish up being sub-let, as some flats in Glenfell were; nice little earners.
IMHO it is Cream Quackers.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:22 pm 
the link kills the myth some on here are spouting,

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:18 pm 
Regular

I also note that out of the first five inquests that have been reported, one british name was retired and the other 4 were all working so not a drain on society as has been intimated.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:36 pm 
Top of the pops

Poppytim wrote:
I also note that out of the first five inquests that have been reported, one british name was retired and the other 4 were all working so not a drain on society as has been intimated.

5 out of hundreds is hardly representative Poppytim.
We know, for example, there was one asylum seeker - he was the first victim to be identified.
We also know from the Prime Minister there MAY (no pun intended) have been some illegal immigrants.
Anyway, whether they were working or not doesn't change anything, does it??
BTW, are you going to apologize to me for stating I was exaggerating in one of my earlier posts?
Subsequent posts proved you were wrong in that assertion.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:37 pm 
Top of the pops

COYS wrote:
the link kills the myth some on here are spouting,

What myth, and who was spouting it?
Geoff.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:44 pm 
Junior

Hi all,

Firstly this is my initial post, not got off on right footing as my username should have read Wish I was there! I have been following your board since the closure of CL.

This topic is very sensitive and everyone I am sure is so sorry for the suffering of those killed , injured and to all who have lost their homes.

However how can it be reasonable in a time when the country is still on the receiving end of austerity cuts that social housing individuals are being rehomed in properties that the huge majority of people could only dream of? Surely it would make sense to try and rehouse these poor individuals in a less expensive area in London? I appreciate it would mean uprooting people which is not great but how many nurses or extra police officers could be employed with this money? It does amplify the need for the government and the local councils to start building more affordable housing throughout the country.

For those individuals who have lost their homes but have no legal right to be in the UK then sorry but they need to be deported back to the country of origin. If they wish to make their home in the UK then there are agreed protocols to be completed.

As stated at the outset I feel so sorry for everyone's lost and every effort should be made to ensure we understand what has happened and ensure this does not happen again, but it cannot and must not be at the expenses of everyone else in the country.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:54 pm 
For developers to be allowed to develop an area, it is law now that a % is given over to social housing, these flats would of been given to people in line for a council house anyway, it just happens that the fire victims will have priority now.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:55 pm 
Top of the pops

Wish I wish there wrote:
Hi all,

Firstly this is my initial post, not got off on right footing as my username should have read Wish I was there! I have been following your board since the closure of CL.

This topic is very sensitive and everyone I am sure is so sorry for the suffering of those killed , injured and to all who have lost their homes.

However how can it be reasonable in a time when the country is still on the receiving end of austerity cuts that social housing individuals are being rehomed in properties that the huge majority of people could only dream of? Surely it would make sense to try and rehouse these poor individuals in a less expensive area in London? I appreciate it would mean uprooting people which is not great but how many nurses or extra police officers could be employed with this money? It does amplify the need for the government and the local councils to start building more affordable housing throughout the country.

For those individuals who have lost their homes but have no legal right to be in the UK then sorry but they need to be deported back to the country of origin. If they wish to make their home in the UK then there are agreed protocols to be completed.

As stated at the outset I feel so sorry for everyone's lost and every effort should be made to ensure we understand what has happened and ensure this does not happen again, but it cannot and must not be at the expenses of everyone else in the country.

An excellent post. Welcome. I look forward to your further contributions on this forum.
You are dead right about the housing crisis, especially in London, the South East, and most major cities in England.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:09 pm 
Junior

Thanks Geoff for your kind comments.

Off thread but how do I put my location in?

Paul

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:25 pm 

How to add your location (and any other information if you wish) to your profile
Click on the user control panel in top right of the page. This will open a new page
On this new page, on the left, you will see profile
Click on profile and this will again open a new page
On this new page, half way down the right section, add your location
Press submit
Simples

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:41 pm 
Top of the pops

Wish I wish there wrote:
Thanks Geoff for your kind comments.

Off thread but how do I put my location in?

Paul

See the comments from M.A.D.
You can put in a photo of yourself.
My photo is not of me but of my favourite TV Star Richard Wilson, who played Viktor Meldrew in the series "One Foot In The Grave".
I actually got his permission to use his picture on Cyprus Forums.
Reason being Viktor is so much like I am! Miserable, grouchy, old bar steward, but usually right in his judgement of current affairs.
Anyway he is better looking than me.
:crylaughin
Geoff.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:31 pm 
Regular

5 out of 5 Geoff not 5 out of a hundred. Obviously more details will emerge as more inquests are completed and I am sure this will show that many more were in work also although I am sure there will be some that were not as in any area anywhere in the country. Concerning you awaiting my apology I did reply but it seems to have disappeared so I am afraid I will not apologise as I was right. You intimated that the cost of the flats was 8 million pounds for the 4 bed. This as you know was entirely incorrect as this related to thw adjacent luxury apartments and not the ones that will rehouse the survivors.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:23 am 
Top of the pops

Poppytim wrote:
5 out of 5 Geoff not 5 out of a hundred. Obviously more details will emerge as more inquests are completed and I am sure this will show that many more were in work also although I am sure there will be some that were not as in any area anywhere in the country. Concerning you awaiting my apology I did reply but it seems to have disappeared so I am afraid I will not apologise as I was right. You intimated that the cost of the flats was 8 million pounds for the 4 bed. This as you know was entirely incorrect as this related to thw adjacent luxury apartments and not the ones that will rehouse the survivors.

The first 5 out of a total of hundreds - is what I said. We await details of the many others!
When you first said I was exaggerating I responded in my post of 23 June at 5.59 am.
I said:
"They were built as luxury flats but were not yet fitted out as such. They are alongside other luxury flats that have the private cinema, concierge, etc. As luxury flats the selling price is £1.5M for 1 Bed, £8.5M for 4 Bed"
Those are facts, and what I said is thus no exaggeration.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:57 am 
Rock Star

[quote="geoffreys
Those of them who came to the UK as Asylum Seekers Geoff.[/quote]

But aren't Asylum Seekers/Refugees supposed to register in the first safe country they reach/entre? If the UK if the first safe country they arrived in what method of transport did they use to get here?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:41 am 
Top of the pops

Bassman63 wrote:
[quote="geoffreys
Those of them who came to the UK as Asylum Seekers Geoff.

But aren't Asylum Seekers/Refugees supposed to register in the first safe country they reach/entre? If the UK if the first safe country they arrived in what method of transport did they use to get here?[/quote]

Very good point Bassman63; "beam me down Scottie" perhaps?
The first victim (fatality) to be named was said to be an asylum seeker - but they did not say how he got to UK. Neither did they confirm he had been granted asylum. As I said, I am sorry he lost his life.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:14 pm 
Idol

I really don't know why you're all getting your knickers in a twist.... all those people have lost their homes and all their possessions through no fault of their own and they need to be rehoused, that's it - end of story.

What should they do, just leave them out on the streets to fend for themselves?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:25 pm 
Top of the pops

Fylde Filly wrote:
I really don't know why you're all getting your knickers in a twist.... all those people have lost their homes and all their possessions through no fault of their own and they need to be rehoused, that's it - end of story.

What should they do, just leave them out on the streets to fend for themselves?

No, not as simple as that!
What you say is correct as far as it goes, but there are ramifications from HOW they are looked after and re-housed.
Like who pays?
One owner-occupier (Leasehold) told SKY News-UK that he had to pay £50K towards the cladding when it was done 2 years ago, I hope he will now be claiming that sum back!
The thread has progressed into examining those ramifications. Which look like being country-wide; 27 blocks in 15 local authority areas have now been identified with similar problems, and more are expected to fail the tests and/or PROPER H&S/Fire Inspections.
Manchester alone reckon their bill will be £31M to get all their tower blocks and other public buildings up to scratch. The total bill country-wide looks like being approx. £2 Billion.
Geoff.

Last edited by geoffreys on Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:53 pm 
Rock Star

geoffreys wrote:
Bassman63 wrote:
[quote="geoffreys

But aren't Asylum Seekers/Refugees supposed to register in the first safe country they reach/entre? If the UK if the first safe country they arrived in what method of transport did they use to get here?

The first victim (fatality) to be named was said to be an asylum seeker - but they did not say how he got to UK. Neither did they confirm he had been granted asylum. As I said, I am sorry he lost his life.
Geoff.[/quote]
So am I Geoff, no rejoicing over loss of life.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:33 pm 
Top of the pops

Bassman63 wrote:
geoffreys wrote:
Bassman63 wrote:
[quote="geoffreys

Geoff.

So am I Geoff, no rejoicing over loss of life.[/quote]

I do not understand why the authorities are not checking the immigration status of survivors.
Why not? If they are illegals (as suggested might be the case by Mrs May in her address to the House of Commons the other morning updating them on the situation) they should be identified as such and deported; not be recipients of taxpayers money!
It is understood that some flats in Glenfell were sub-let, that should be checked out too.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:00 pm 
Rock Star

[quote="geoffreysI do not understand why the authorities are not checking the immigration status of survivors.
Why not? If they are illegals (as suggested might be the case by Mrs May in her address to the House of Commons the other morning updating them on the situation) they should be identified as such and deported; not be recipients of taxpayers money!
It is understood that some flats in Glenfell were sub-let, that should be checked out too.
Geoff.[/quote]
Excellent and well put together post Geoff, in another place someone posted that the money supporting any illegals should come out of over seas aid plus the cost of repatriating them.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:23 am 
Major

But aren't Asylum Seekers/Refugees supposed to register in the first safe country they reach/entre? If the UK if the first safe country they arrived in what method of transport did they use to get here?[/quote]

Geoff.[/quote]
So am I Geoff, no rejoicing over loss of life.[/quote]

I do not understand why the authorities are not checking the immigration status of survivors.
Geoff.[/quote]

No doubt the Government don't want to be lambasted by the "politically correct" brigade who will accuse of them of using a tragedy to "root out"
illegal immigrants when of course what they should be doing is applying the law to everybody in a fair and equitable manner. The total madness of
"political correctness" is one of the reasons why the UK is now in the sorry mess it is in, IMHO.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:32 am 
Top of the pops

Being practical ........Just a thought ! ???
I wonder what arrangements have been made for perishable goods left in the properties of those tower blocks which have been evacuated in a hurry......
Vases of flowers / pot plants; tropical fish tanks; vivariums .... I imagine there may be a few, at least.
Not to mention the many electrical implements (as suspected of causing the initial fire) .... fridges of deteriorating food and freezers of melting produce (if the power has to be turned off by contractors).
Heath hazards increasing ... or being dealt with ?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:06 pm 
Rock Star

COYS wrote:

To claim asylum or refugee status don't you have to register in the first safe country and not travel through safe countries heading for the best soft touch?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:21 pm 
Major

Presumably not which is why the vast majority head straight for the UK, bypassing many countries en route.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body