The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New ATM ALERT!!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:58 am 
Top of the pops

There is a pretty recent ATM fitted adjacent to the Kiosk opposite Tavernaki just before the Tremithousa/Premier Electrical traffic lights. A friend used it last night and when she checked her account found that another €600 had been taken from her account straight after she used it. Reported to police, sorted with her bank, but be alert folks!

Post subject: Re: New ATM ALERT!!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:24 am 
Top of the pops

George wrote:
There is a pretty recent ATM fitted adjacent to the Kiosk opposite Tavernaki just before the Tremithousa/Premier Electrical traffic lights. A friend used it last night and when she checked her account found that another €600 had been taken from her account straight after she used it. Reported to police, sorted with her bank, but be alert folks!

Thanks for that info George.
New ATMs are being fitted in villages all over the Island, by a private Company/ies, not by the bank/s.
Do you know which Company fitted the ATM you refer to?
Geoff.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:09 pm 
Top of the pops

Not off the top of my head Geoff but I use the kiosk regularly so will check next time I'm there.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:21 pm 
Regular

Also these machines are not free to use. Our neighbour was charged over one euro to draw out a small sum using his BOC card at the one at the Muckhtars shop in Mandria. Also if using a UK card in one of their machines, the rate of exchange is appalling.

There is no notice of any charges on the machines or whilst making the transaction. When our neighbour challenged the muckhtar about the machine he was told that in Cyprus there does not have to be a notice of any charges on the machine.

These machines have cropped up down at the harbour and tourists are being ripped off by them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:07 pm 
Rock Star

Sorry AJ but I suspect most people know if they use these machines then there is a charge, normally around €2.50, these type of ATMs are all over the uk and have been for years...indeed if you use a different bank to your own you expect a charge...normally a Euro. The worrying thing is is there now a professional gang operating in the area tampering with the ATMs? I always check a machine I do not use on a regular basis...is not my own bank! Lots on the interns what to look for. A sign of the times unfortunately. Or it may just be a computer error...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:47 am 
Star

George I have been using this ATM you mentioned on a regular basis since it was installed as its so convenient and have had no problems.As your friend rightly reported it to the the police and the bank what was their response.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:04 am 
Top of the pops

vine wrote:
George I have been using this ATM you mentioned on a regular basis since it was installed as its so convenient and have had no problems.As your friend rightly reported it to the the police and the bank what was their response.

My banks send me a text message ... immediately after a bank card is used. So I would know if anyone tried to hack them.
Message received, usually as I pack my shopping bags ... prompt service :-)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:47 am 
Master

I stick my own bank's ATM's and keep the till receipt until the next time I make a withdrawal. I cover the ATM's keypad with one hand whilst making a withdrawal.

I find the text message service my bank provides after a withdrawal offers good protection again ATM fraud, but like most things in this life nothing is fool proof.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:22 am 
Anarita John wrote:
Also these machines are not free to use. Our neighbour was charged over one euro to draw out a small sum using his BOC card at the one at the Muckhtars shop in Mandria. Also if using a UK card in one of their machines, the rate of exchange is appalling.

There is no notice of any charges on the machines or whilst making the transaction. When our neighbour challenged the muckhtar about the machine he was told that in Cyprus there does not have to be a notice of any charges on the machine.

These machines have cropped up down at the harbour and tourists are being ripped off by them.

No one is being ripped off as you put it, these are very expensive machines to install and service, who do you expect to pay for this?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:18 am 
Top of the pops

COYS wrote:
Anarita John wrote:

No one is being ripped off as you put it, these are very expensive machines to install and service, who do you expect to pay for this?

COYS is right, there has to be a fee and the fairest way is for the card user to pay for it.
The issue of this thread, however, is fraud by persons unknown, using the ATM/s to rip off card users.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:40 am 
Regular

The one appeared at the Mukhtars shop a few months ago. There was no notice of any charges on the machine. Our neighbour, a former banker, used the machine to withdraw a small sum of money and was charged for doing so. In the UK some machines in shops and garages are free to use, others make a small charge, but always tell you that a charge is going to be made. My gripe is that the machines here do not tell you a charge will be made.
Also the exchange rate if you are using a UK debit card is very poor, less than 1 to 1.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:58 am 
Anarita John wrote:
The one appeared at the Mukhtars shop a few months ago. There was no notice of any charges on the machine. Our neighbour, a former banker, used the machine to withdraw a small sum of money and was charged for doing so. In the UK some machines in shops and garages are free to use, others make a small charge, but always tell you that a charge is going to be made. My gripe is that the machines here do not tell you a charge will be made.
Also the exchange rate if you are using a UK debit card is very poor, less than 1 to 1.

With respect, it dosnt matter if theres no charge in England,,,we are in Cyprus..... you must know there might be a charge, these machines are expensive.... theres no thing as a free lunch as they say, no one is forced to use this service..they have the option to go to the Bank, simple.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:06 pm 
Major

Location: A place to meet people with a common interest - as long as you all RESPECT MY AUTHORITY!
Code:

There is no notice of any charges on the machines or whilst making the transaction.

This machine does say it will charge a fee on screen, and would you like to proceed. As does the other ATM in Mandria outside the small village shop opposite the Karma restaurant. Many people use cards in tavernas and restaurants in the area now as they have become more accepted.

Most users online was 189 on 24 Feb 2009, before I banned them and deleted their posts.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:31 pm 
Regular

I apologise for my mistake but I was just repeating what a neighbour, who used to be a banker told me. He drew money out of the Mucktar's machine just after it was installed and he did not see any notice of charges. He went inside, complained to the shop owner and was told that machines here do not have to display notice of charges.

I would only use a machine owned by a bank. I use my UK Zero credit card to pay for meals, shopping etc here and do not pay any commission and get the visa rate of exchange as long as I pay in euros. I would strongly recommend that anyone who is able to open a UK bank account gets a commission free credit card for use here.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body