The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Another attack in London
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:43 pm 
Top of the pops

It was only a matter of time before someone decided to show the Muslim comminuity how it feels to have some nutter mow you down using the same method their nutters do. I do not however condone it and my condolances to the ones injured and the person who died.
How I hoped that this would not happen and that common sense would take over. Sadly it started with Jo Cox and looks as if this is another person of the same ilk.
Governments have got to start listening to people and make sure that all living here play by the rules on a level playing field.
A friend lost her home and everything they had in a house fire plus the family pet but the government didn't rush to their aid with a £5500. Interim payout. Family friends and strangers rallied round via facebook and helped them and they had paid for insurance as most of us do.
I would like to hazard a guess that the man who did this is probably out of work, disabled, has untreated mental health issues and has no money and was incensed when he saw the amount of money given to people who had already been given a nice flat and furniture, benefits etc when he could get nothing because that is what I am hearing from people on the street.
As for Corbyn using this as another political football he is a disgrace.
I hope this can be contained because it is not looking good.

I

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:07 pm 
Rock Star

Beverley it is good to see such a sensible and balanced response, I agree that none of us want this whilst at the same time it is of no surprise that it has happened.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:30 pm 
Regular

I'm afraid that I disagree with Bev which is most unusual as normally we are both on the same wave length!
She is making assumptions about the driver which is dangerous and I feel we should wait until more details are released. Re the 5k paid out to the survivors of the horrendous fire, I have no problem with this. They have lost everything and have to start from scratch - clothes,furnishings,personal posessions,bedding,furniture,electrical appliances,white goods etc etc. Some of them may well be insured but they will have no paperwork to prove it plus insurance companies are notoriously slow at paying out and this was desperate.Some of them are being offered housing some way off,which of course I understand, but they will need transport which is very expensive in London. Give em a break Bev!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:33 pm 
Rock Star

Don't see how Corbyn is making this political.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:57 pm 
Top of the pops

Poppytim wrote:
I'm afraid that I disagree with Bev which is most unusual as normally we are both on the same wave length!
She is making assumptions about the driver which is dangerous and I feel we should wait until more details are released. Re the 5k paid out to the survivors of the horrendous fire, I have no problem with this. They have lost everything and have to start from scratch - clothes,furnishings,personal posessions,bedding,furniture,electrical appliances,white goods etc etc. Some of them may well be insured but they will have no paperwork to prove it plus insurance companies are notoriously slow at paying out and this was desperate.Some of them are being offered housing some way off,which of course I understand, but they will need transport which is very expensive in London. Give em a break Bev!

Hi Poppy tim,
I don't have a problem with the pay out and also feel desperately sorry for each and every family but not everybody over here feels the same. A lot of people British born and bred cannot get housing and a lot resent that foreign nationals can get it when they arrive here penniless.They get furniture etc all laid on for them as well and this does breed resentment.
We do know that the driver of the van is a 48 year old white man and bearing in mind that Jo Cox's killer was about the same and blew his top when he could not get help for his mental problems while he watched his MP doing everything for the foreign nationals in his town, mainly Muslims I am probably not far out in this case.
I just showed an example of the unfairness of some people getting government help when home grown people have a fire and get nothing. It all breeds resentment regardless of how we feel about it.
Rgs Bevx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:03 pm 
Top of the pops

zorbathejock wrote:
Don't see how Corbyn is making this political.

It was reported this morning that he has been to the mosque to pray with the people after attending the scene and saying this is another reason we should cancel Police cuts etc etc etc.
Sadiq Khan was doing the same, it is sickening how the labour party are jumping on peoples grief and loss to score political points.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:15 pm 
Rock Star

Hardly political,just common sense.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:37 pm 
Rock Star

Couldn't have been a Muslim he didn't jump out and start stabbing people.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:54 pm 
Top of the pops

Innocent, normal, everyday people..yes the vast majority of Muslims are normal everyday people....where peacefully going about their daily lives
When they where attacked and maimed, cowardly by a man old enough to know better
They mercilessly where run down, cowardly by of all things a van! As they where coming out of prayer!
One poor man was actually receiving first aid by the side of the road, as he had collapsed of a heart attack, when this mad terrorist van man drove straight into them, how inhumane and horrendous is that act!
That is not human!
It is horrendous and completely wrong
And I hope that like the rest of the terrorists madmen, that he goes to prison for a very long time!
As the uk does not need or want these terrorist madmen on our streets

Some of the comments on this post.....again leave me feeling sick and ashamed to be British!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:16 am 
Idol

Most interesting is it was the Imam who gave instructions to protect the man from being attacked by the people on the street.... I wonder how that would have panned out had the boot been on the other foot.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:11 am 
Top of the pops

Fylde Filly wrote:
Most interesting is it was the Imam who gave instructions to protect the man from being attacked by the people on the street.... I wonder how that would have panned out had the boot been on the other foot.
It would have probably panned out just the same as if the imam had not been there. The crowd were shouting 'kill him' in the video of the aftermath. There is no moral high ground here.

There is a huge undercurrent of anger and resentment in the UK, that never gets in the papers, but is clear to see on social media (which the government has pledged to cut out - and thus make things worse). If people cannot get a release from their anger, they take ridiculous precipitous action, which is what undoubtedly has happened here as time will tell.

We have two separate and culturally incompatible societies in Britain caused by multiculturalism and because of political correctness, the problems that creates are not being addressed. We are going to see more such incidents from both sides of the divide.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:24 am 
Rock Star

Quote:
We have two separate and culturally incompatible societies in Britain caused by multiculturalism and because of political correctness, the problems that creates are not being addressed. We are going to see more such incidents from both sides of the divide.

Spot on KG!

This is a fact that the PC Luvvies cannot accept, their bias (supported & perpetuated by the BBC) will eventually result in growing numbers of members from the indigenous population retaliating for the perceived 'unfair' treatment by the authorities.

Personally I don't understand why there is a compulsion to put foreigners first, before Brits in their own country?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:03 am 
Rock Star

At the point of stirring this up further, this is what some of my friends in the UK think, before you say they are bigot's one is a retired policeman and the other is a school teacher, so both pillars of society.

If you force people to live side by side against their will, then treat them differently, it is only time before the indigenous people will resent that and retaliate.
When governments curry favour (sorry about the pun) with the non indigenous people, then you will have trouble from those who feel aggrieved, they feel cast off and neglected at not receiving help when they need it most, caste aside due to political correctness.

For example, I was watching the news and a family was being interviewed in the next block to the burnt tower, he was showing the media pictures on his computer, that PC was an Apple at a cost of over €2000, wish I had one, that is resentment creeping in.

There is not a level playing field in the UK, then add into the mix the idiots who terrorise those people, then you have one huge melting pot waiting to boil over.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:45 am 
Star

Mmmmmm,as a matter of interest,and to satisfy yours truly,s curiosity,does any one know of any where in the world that people,s of different faiths have lived happily side by side?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:36 am 
Top of the pops

vine wrote:
Mmmmmm,as a matter of interest,and to satisfy yours truly,s curiosity,does any one know of any where in the world that people,s of different faiths have lived happily side by side?

That is a good, but unfortunate point you make there vine. I don't believe religion is a cause of the problems, because it
is more likely used as an excuse to cause them. The tragic point about this latest episode of violence, this time against
Muslim people, is that it comes immediately after the tragedy of the tower block fire, where those of ALL religions have been doing their best to bring some sort of comfort and normality to the survivors lives. Regrettably, the real racists, of any
religion will use any excuse to maim and kill others, and in turn, cause even more problems.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:53 pm 
Rock Star

Vine, well yes I do, it is closer to home than you think. Northern Cyprus is one area, they have learnt to tolerate each other, initially it was not by choice but Greek and Turkish Cypriots do live side by side and get on with each other, it is only the two governments that mess it up.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:45 pm 
Rock Star

KG wrote:
Fylde Filly wrote:
It would have probably panned out just the same as if the imam had not been there. The crowd were shouting 'kill him' in the video of the aftermath. There is no moral high ground here.

There is a huge undercurrent of anger and resentment in the UK, that never gets in the papers, but is clear to see on social media (which the government has pledged to cut out - and thus make things worse). If people cannot get a release from their anger, they take ridiculous precipitous action, which is what undoubtedly has happened here as time will tell.

Agree, spot on.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:48 pm 
Rock Star

[quote="migmogs"]Innocent, normal, everyday people..yes the vast majority of Muslims are normal everyday people....where peacefully going

it is also fair to say without being accused of Islamaphobia that the vast majority of terrorists today are Muslim.

Last edited by Bassman63 on Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:57 pm 
Rock Star

vine wrote:

Yes the UK, we've had Muslims brought into the UK since the 60s, Buddhists, Hindus, Mormons. Druids, various Christians sects.
Other than the IRA the Muslims are the only people who use terror to bludgeon their way to power to try and force their religion upon us.
Please remember it is not the dark ages etc that we're talking about, it is today, but it would take a very long time for any other faith to catch up with the Muslim atrocities.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:05 pm 
Rock Star

lowvoltage wrote:
Vine, well yes I do, it is closer to home than you think. Northern Cyprus is one area, they have learnt to tolerate each other, initially it was not by choice but Greek and Turkish Cypriots do live side by side and get on with each other, it is only the two governments that mess it up.

Very true, unlike most people on this forum Val & I lived in Cyprus (Limassol) in 1966/7 before partition. you were not really aware when you'd crossed into the Turkish quarter in those days, Turks and Greeks co-existed. One of our best gigs back then was at the Istanbul Bar, we also played the Calypso Bar on Archbishop Makarios Ave, it is still there but it may not be the same judging by the sign outside.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:40 pm 
Regular

People often mistake culture, race and nationalism (tribalism in a word) with religion . Religion is sometimes the defining aspect of a culture or a race or a political persuasion or a nation , but the very nature of human beings is tribal and appealing for a few hugs all round isn't going to change that.

The Greeks and the Trojans were at each others throats before long they became Christians and Muslims, and the Persians and the Arabs hated each other long before they adopted schisms of Islam that now define them as Sunni and Shia who would still fight each other at a drop of a hat

Different religions can co-exist if the have the same basic culture and ethnicity. Protestants and Catholics do OK by and large in Britain and elsewhere these days (except in Ireland and Glasgow where the "religious" division is actually political) - it's when there is an unbridgeable gap between cultures that the problems start, and boy oh boy does Britain have a nest full of those :-( The Mods and the Rockers are a playground spat compared to the current toxic cocktail - that was just basically the same people fighting with others sporting different haircuts !!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:52 pm 
Rock Star

Ilex wrote:
People often mistake culture, race and nationalism (tribalism in a word) with religion . Religion is sometimes the defining aspect of a culture or a race or a political persuasion or a nation , but the very nature of human beings is tribal and appealing for a few hugs all round isn't going to change that.

The Greeks and the Trojans were at each others throats before long they became Christians and Muslims, and the Persians and the Arabs hated each other long before they adopted schisms of Islam that now define them as Sunni and Shia who would still fight each other at a drop of a hat

Different religions can co-exist if the have the same basic culture and ethnicity. Protestants and Catholics do OK by and large in Britain and elsewhere these days (except in Ireland and Glasgow where the "religious" division is actually political) - it's when there is an unbridgeable gap between cultures that the problems start, and boy oh boy does Britain have a nest full of those :-( The Mods and the Rockers are a playground spat compared to the current toxic cocktail - that was just basically the same people fighting with others sporting different haircuts !!!!!

So true.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:30 am 
Rock Star

beverley wrote:
Poppytim wrote:

Hi Poppy tim,
I don't have a problem with the pay out and also feel desperately sorry for each and every family but not everybody over here feels the same. A lot of people British born and bred cannot get housing and a lot resent that foreign nationals can get it when they arrive here penniless.They get furniture etc all laid on for them as well and this does breed resentment.
We do know that the driver of the van is a 48 year old white man and bearing in mind that Jo Cox's killer was about the same and blew his top when he could not get help for his mental problems while he watched his MP doing everything for the foreign nationals in his town, mainly Muslims I am probably not far out in this case.
I just showed an example of the unfairness of some people getting government help when home grown people have a fire and get nothing. It all breeds resentment regardless of how we feel about it.
Rgs Bevx

Beverley once again a very balanced post especially when you see where Abu Hamza's are living with Choudhry both of whom spouted bile against the UK whilst living in relative luxury at our expense. Last week a Muslim requested that his four wives and 20 children could join him in the UK. No doubt I'll be accused of making it up.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:37 am 
Top of the pops

Not if you simply supply the links to the article to which you presume to report. Simple.
Hearsay is worth nothing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:30 pm 

Bassman63 posted: we also played the Calypso Bar on Archbishop Makarios Ave, it is still there but it may not be the same judging by the sign outside.

I remember that bar very well when posted to Akrotiri between 68 and 70. Recall that it was the first bar you hit on the By-pass (as it was called then). Many foggy memories of times spent on the By-pass! Sorry off topic!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:06 pm 

Steves Bar on the by-pass....the ONLY place for burgers :lol:

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:57 pm 
Rock Star

Gret wrote:
Bassman63 posted: we also played the Calypso Bar on Archbishop Makarios Ave, it is still there but it may not be the same judging by the sign outside.

I remember that bar very well when posted to Akrotiri between 68 and 70. Recall that it was the first bar you hit on the By-pass (as it was called then). Many foggy memories of times spent on the By-pass! Sorry off topic!

It was also where Limassol ended after that you were out in the countryside.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:04 am 
Rock Star

M.A.D wrote:

There was one or two Bondoos (unused land) in those days on the Limassol bypass on one of them we had the instant salmonella wagon (Mobile chippy) most nights.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:16 am 
Rock Star

M.A.D wrote:

We didn't have burgers, it was Kebabs inside the bread thing (don't know how to spell it) from 'Little Arifs' kebab stall. Half a Crown.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body