Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:14 pm 
Forum Admin

Press Tv has reveled that there is a massive media cover up
in the tower block fire and that more than 500 people believed to be dead
http://presstv.com/Detail/2017/06/17/525600/500-residents-died-in-London-tower-fire-

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:26 pm 
Top of the pops

There were 120 flats in that block. If what they are claiming is true, then that's getting on for 5 people dead from each flat. Don't believe everything you read in the press.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:32 pm 

sorry, even if the BBC were to try and 'cover up' the fatalities which I'm not convinced about... the other news services in the UK would not be complicit in this. At the moment there appear to be 79 confirmed dead or missing, and while I accept this may rise as things develop, I'm not convinced it will rise by 421. The cause of the fire also appears to be a freezer which had an electrical fault, so the cause is not in doubt. I would be interested to know where press tv are getting their info,

the only causes for doubt at the moment are the fire retardant quality of the external panels and that the refurb company may have used a cheaper more flammable version to meet the tender, and why the individual apartments did not perform as expected in terms of containing the blaze as they were supposed to do.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:59 pm 
Top of the pops

The main media in UK (BBC, SKY, etc) reported in the two days after the fire that 500 to 600 people were thought to have been in the building.
The reports, live on the day, showed us how fast the fire spread and it seems unlikely that many above the first 8 floors or so would have escaped. For a start the fire hoses did not initially reach above that level, and the single stairwell soon filled with smoke.
If there was 500 (approx.) in the building, and 79 (approx.) are known to be dead or missing, then 421 must have escaped.
For reasons stated above (as was reported at the time) it seems most unlikely that many got out.
We will have to wait see for the final (or more accurate) figures, but the inside is a total burn-out having had (we were told) temperatures up to 1000 Deg.C. No one left in would have survived; they would first have died due to smoke inhalation, and then have been burnt to cinders.
Thus it seems likely that Press TV are on the right track, but that the REAL death toll was probably more like 200, rather than the 500 they suggest or the official (approx.) current estimate of 79.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:31 pm 
Idol

We feel sure there's likely to be more than 79 dead or missing but not sure about the number being 500.....

Without knowing just how many people were in the building at any given time, it's an almost impossible task until they have a full body count and then afterwards residents, friends, relatives etc coming forward to report if people are still unaccounted for.

It all seems a bit too early to be able to put a final figure on it just yet.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:38 pm 
Regular

I think this is a very exaggerated figure, 120 flats and some were single occupancy, think whoever the Press TV are maybe they are trying to scare/score instead of helping!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:58 pm 
Regular

The truth will out and there will be no "cover up", but I suspect that there may been all sorts of sub letting that would increase the occupancy rate way beyond the "official" figure of numbers staying in these flats?

There are too many people in the UK chasing insufficient numbers of affordable houses in all the major cities- London will be the worst in that category by a country mile. A friend of mine found out that a two bedroom flat he was renting out was "home" to almost 12 single males from Eastern Europe all legally in the country but working cash in hand for some dubious employers (hot bedding and shift work meant that there was usually only about 6 people in the flat at a given time )

Last edited by Ilex on Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:07 pm 
Rock Star

One of the reasons I stopped reading the papers years ago was things like this, we all know what the media are like, they like to sensationalise stories to grab the headlines, then when it is nothing like what they say, they drop the story and let the story die as I feel is the case here. When it comes out will they apologise? no they will not.

As like most of us have grown older and wiser, we realise that the majority of the news is made up, it is their thirst for grabbing the headlines at what ever the cost, they do not care about peoples lives only their greed.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:51 pm 
Rock Star

Now, come on. If we can't believe the Iranian press, who can we believe? ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:31 pm 
Rock Star

Sorry Effsie you are right, how silly of me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:40 am 
Rock Star

A picture of an Ethiopian man was posted on Facebook, attached was text saying that he had sent his family away plus he had packed his belongings, this was supposed to be the flat where the fire started

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:28 am 
Regular

You don't give up do you bassman :roll: .........

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:17 am 

Ah, must be true then if it was on Facebook :smilielol

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:07 am 
Idol

I did see the article Bassman refers to but in the Daily Mail, but it didn't stay on there very long so I assumed even they realized it was fake news!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:06 pm 
Regular

That won't put bassman off repeating it!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:16 am 
Rock Star

kingsdale wrote:
the only causes for doubt at the moment are the fire retardant quality of the external panels and that the refurb company may have used a cheaper more flammable version to meet the tender, and why the individual apartments did not perform as expected in terms of containing the blaze as they were supposed to do.

The renovation company claim that their work and materials complied with regulations and specifications

Meanwhile in Sheffield where there are many Tower Blocks it has been announced that all Sheffield Tower Blocks will be fitted with Sprinkler Sytems

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:25 am 

The fact that it may have been compliant, doesn't mean it was fire retardant. they appear to not have considered a fire on the exterior would behave in this manner and I suspect the regulations will be tightened up in light of this tragedy.

sprinklers fitted in stairwells are one thing, but the reluctance to install in the individual flats was explained to me as... If the flats act in accordance to design and contain a small fire in the one flat, then you would not want a sprinkler system turning on in all other flats in the building. don't know how true that is, or how sophisticated it could be now.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:31 pm 
Idol

Today's news:
Quote:
Around 600 high rises across England are using similar cladding to Grenfell Tower, Downing Street estimates.
Tower blocks across the UK are being examined after the London blaze, which left 79 people dead or missing, presumed dead.
Three samples have been shown to be "combustible" and more results will be made public in the next 48 hours.
A No 10 spokeswoman said it was a "matter of absolute urgency" to tell residents.
Theresa May said all local authorities responsible for the flats had been told.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40366646

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:16 pm 
Top of the pops

Bassman63 wrote:
kingsdale wrote:

The renovation company claim that their work and materials complied with regulations and specifications

Meanwhile in Sheffield where there are many Tower Blocks it has been announced that all Sheffield Tower Blocks will be fitted with Sprinkler Sytems

I hope they fit sprinkler systems with zonal/individual dwelling controls.
What you do not want is a system which, when activated, sprays water into every dwelling.
Just in the dwelling where the fire is, plus common stairwell/s.
Also, the supply of water for the system should not rely on the rising main alone; better to have that plus roof tanks/x2.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:58 pm 
Idol

Just been updated on BBC News website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40366646
Quote:
Seven residential high-rise buildings in four local authority areas have been found to be covered in combustible cladding following safety tests.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:11 pm 
Rock Star

[quote="Fylde Filly"]Busy exploring England's green & pleasant lands since May 2016 after 12yrs in Cyprus.
There appears to be a misapprehension I run a photography business... it's my passion as a hobby.
I sell and buy postage stamps!

I've gat a Nigeria 1s/3d and a Sierra Leone 1/-, oh and an Iraq 8pils from 20NOV52 and some other funnies.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:14 pm 
Rock Star

travellingal wrote:
:roll:

Well it'll make your little world more intrestin to be able to be one of the lemmings. :pow :there

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:27 pm 
Top of the pops

Bassman63 wrote:
travellingal wrote:

Well it'll make your little world more intrestin to be able to be one of the lemmings. :pow :there

Aah - well there you go.
The Camden blocks had an average of 5 persons (incl kids) per flat; I imagine Glenfell would have been about the same.
Thus Glenfell had approx. 600 occupants, not including any visitors, those away, or sub-tenants.
If 79 perished, then 521 got out.
521 does NOT tally with official figures or with what we saw on TV.
i.e. the figure of 79 just cannot be right.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:06 pm 
Rock Star

geoffreys wrote:
Bassman63 wrote:
travellingal wrote:

Aah - well there you go.
The Camden blocks had an average of 5 persons (incl kids) per flat; I imagine Glenfell would have been about the same.
Thus Glenfell had approx. 600 occupants, not including any visitors, those away, or sub-tenants.
If 79 perished, then 521 got out.
521 does NOT tally with official figures or with what we saw on TV.
i.e. the figure of 79 just cannot be right.
Geoff.

AS was posted by someone else we'll never know the true occupant figure because any illegals and those who were illegaly living in sub lets will probably be reluctant to come forward.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body