Mr-Woo Chinese and Thai Restaurant

The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:46 am 
Rock Star

If anyone has the intention of buying a property in Cyprus, you should take off your rose-tinted spectacles & understand the risk you are taking, which is significant.

This article from the Cyprus Mail illustrates the prevailing attitude of the authorities when things go wrong;

http://cyprus-mail.com/2017/06/18/fight-justice-housing-ordeal/

The following comment accompanies the above article;

"The locals knew the land had problems for years. Historical reports in the Land Registry and Planning Office highlight the problem. Yet somebody paid somebody and voila, a planning permit. Now this mess. As usual, Cyprus and Cypriots blame everything else and assume no accountability or responsibility. It is clear that houses should never have been built on this land and yet the civil service gave permission. Ultimately the government has to take accountability for 'mistakes' made by it's representatives, alive or dead, sorting the issue out and making sure safeguards are put in place so it never happens again. Sadly, when you translate Limnes from the original Greek, it means lakes and there is no standing water for miles so the water has to be somewhere."

Caveat emptor - big time!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:32 am 
Top of the pops

Life's full of risks. I don't suppose those unfortunates in a certain London tower block who bought their flats would have expected to be burned alive.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:59 am 
Top of the pops

I notice in today's CM that the BHC visited the houses in Pisourri that underwent landslips etc, and said he would be making representations to the Cyprus Govt about that fiasco and others.
I doubt he will get anywhere.
Pity the BHC in 2003 when we bought our property didn't tell us the truth about the property market then, at the height of the boom.
The BHC Office told us then there were no problems buying in the South, that it was just like buying a property in the UK.
Meantime the Title Deeds scandal continues; prospective buyers should insist that any property they would like to buy has Full Title Deeds in the name of the vendor/s.
If not walk away.
Geoff.
P.S. We bought in 2003, got our Title Deeds in 2016. Just like the UK? I don't think so.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:24 am 
Master

I'm afraid the good advise we were given in 1999 to buy a resale from an expat with title deeds still holds true. Then we could pay for the property in the UK in Sterling avoiding exchange rate charges and employ, for 50 old Cyprus Pounds, one of the many Conveyancing "Consultants" that hang around the title deeds office to effect the change of name on the title deed and pay the appropriate tax. Job done. Don't know if this can be achieved today. No solicitor, no developer and no cheating.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:44 am 
Star

Yes,buy a resale with title deeds that is at least five years old.Any major problems will have surfaced by then.Oh,and don't forget to check out for your neighbours barking dogs. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:57 am 
Top of the pops

vine wrote:
Yes,buy a resale with title deeds that is at least five years old.Any major problems will have surfaced by then.Oh,and don't forget to check out for your neighbours barking dogs. :roll:

Good advice .... We did exactly that !
Had no problems in 14 years .... to date ! :celeb2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:06 am 
Master

vine wrote:

Sound advice...

...except that most of the properties affected in Pissouri are ~30 years old and suffered no issues whatsoever until ~5 years ago.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:18 am 
Top of the pops

CyprusGrump wrote:
vine wrote:

Sound advice...

...except that most of the properties affected in Pissouri are ~30 years old and suffered no issues whatsoever until ~5 years ago.

What year were those properties built ?
And who were the builders ?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:37 am 
Master

SFD wrote:
CyprusGrump wrote:
vine wrote:

Sound advice...

What year were those properties built ?
And who were the builders ?

About 30 years ago...

And by a collection of local builders I believe - not one of the larger developers.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:03 pm 
Regular

I would question the actual lifespan of many of the houses built in Cyprus recently- some of the rebar oxidation I've seen doesn't bode well for many building in Cyprus (lack of damp proofing and poor building practice is the cause of most of it )

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:09 pm 
Master

Ilex wrote:
I would question the actual lifespan of many of the houses built in Cyprus recently- some of the rebar oxidation I've seen doesn't bode well for many building in Cyprus (lack of damp proofing and poor building practice is the cause of most of it )

I'm no expert in building but I an assure you that the problems are not caused by rebar oxidation!

Also, while the worst affected houses (~30 years old) are literally collapsing in on themselves some neighbouring homes of the same age are unaffected.

Lastly, there are some much newer villas and apartment blocks which are also affected.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:19 pm 
Regular

I'm not suggesting the Pissouri ones are suffering from that, I'm talking about a lot of the stuff built by all the builders in the last 20 years. Failure to waterproof balconies and terraces causes all sorts or problems

So it may indeed be that case that after 5 years other problems will start to develop as the re bar rusts ?

https://degradationandstuff.wordpress.c ... -concrete/

Anyone know if their re bar is stainless steel or galvanised ?

From the above link " The first is to use stainless steel rebar because it is much more resistant to corrosion, a second alternative is to use galvanized steel because this way the zinc act as sacrificial metal protecting the steel and finally increase the thickness of the concrete and make it more dense and impermeable"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:55 pm 
Master

Ilex wrote:
I'm not suggesting the Pissouri ones are suffering from that, I'm talking about a lot of the stuff built by all the builders in the last 20 years. Failure to waterproof balconies and terraces causes all sorts or problems

So it may indeed be that case that after 5 years other problems will start to develop as the re bar rusts ?

https://degradationandstuff.wordpress.c ... -concrete/

Anyone know if their re bar is stainless steel or galvanised ?

From the above link " The first is to use stainless steel rebar because it is much more resistant to corrosion, a second alternative is to use galvanized steel because this way the zinc act as sacrificial metal protecting the steel and finally increase the thickness of the concrete and make it more dense and impermeable"

Ah yes, good points...

I don't think the rebar is generally treated here.

My understanding was that the concrete passivates (?) the rebar and stops it from corroding (unless exposed to the elements).

Problems arise (a local builder once explained to me) when rebar is dumped on a muddy building site prior to use - "rebar loves concrete but hates mud" he said!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:56 am 
Rock Star

Quote:
" The first is to use stainless steel rebar because it is much more resistant to corrosion, a second alternative is to use galvanized steel because this way the zinc act as sacrificial metal protecting the steel and finally increase the thickness of the concrete and make it more dense and impermeable"

Talk about dreaming the impossible dream; stainless steel rebar, used in Cyprus, you must be having a giraffe! :smilielol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:20 pm 
Rock Star

Went to 'Buy Sell' in Papohos with a list of 20 properties obtained back in the UK from their website, I said that I was only interested in properties with Title Dees, 17 were removed from the list.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body