Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:50 am 
Star

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/816 ... -Base-Area

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:55 am 

Please ALWAYS cut and paste at least a few lines from the report and NOT just a link….TQ :bearhug

AN EXPLOSION outside a police station at a British military base in Cyprus has injured an officer.
The explosion happened early on Tuesday, authorities said.
They added it was being treated as a criminal investigation.
British base authorities said one police officer suffered "very minor injuries" and there was superficial damage to the entrance of the station at Dhekelia, known as the Eastern Sovereign Base Area.
The area in the south-east of Cyprus is freely accessible to members of the public.
A spokesman for the bases, said: "There are scene of crime investigators there now to find out exactly what caused the explosion. It is being treated as a criminal investigation at the moment."
Britain retains sovereignty over some 99 square kilometres of territory on Cyprus, a colony until 1960.
While some of it is accessible only to military personnel, it also includes areas where thousands of Cypriots live.

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:57 am 

From ‘In-Cyprus’
http://in-cyprus.com/bomb-blasted-reported-at-british-base-in-cyprus/

Police have confirmed that an explosion occured at the entrance of the British Sovereign Base Area (SBA) in Dhekelia in the early hours of Tuesday morning, injuring a police officer.
According to state radio, the incident occured just before 3am when a man on a motorcyle approached the entrance of the base and threw the explosive device, causing the explosion and injuring the officer.
A manhunt is underway to find the motorcyclist with police suspecting that the motorcycle used in the attack was most likely stolen.
The scene has been cordoned off as investigations continue while the incident was captured by the CCTV cameras. Television reporters have not yet been allowed to approach the entrance.
The police officer suffered only minor injuries and his life is not in danger.
Police investigations are continuing while terrorism has not been ruled out.

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:06 am 
Rock Star

And from today's Cyprus Mail.

"A police officer was slightly injured in an explosion outside the Dhekelia Police station in the early hours of Tuesday.

According to the police report, the blast occurred shortly after 3.00 am when a man on a motorcycle approached the police station and hurled a grenade causing the explosion and the injury to the police officer.

The area has been cordoned off and police have begun the search for the assailant.

SBA police are said to be investigating it as a criminal matter and do not suspect terrorism.

“There are scenes of crime investigators there now to find out exactly what caused the explosion. It is being treated as a criminal investigation at the moment,” a spokesman for the bases said.

Britain retains sovereignty over some 99 square kilometres of territory on Cyprus, a colony until 1960. While some of it is accessible only to military personnel, it also includes areas where thousands of Cypriots live."

http://cyprus-mail.com/2017/06/13/explosion-outside-dhekelia-police-station/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:13 am 
Idol

It sounds like it could have been a personal attack rather than terrorism.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:48 pm 
Rock Star

FF agreed, if it was terrorist related then it would have been bigger ether that it was a dry run, lets hope it was as you suggest its the last thing we want here.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:58 pm 

Damn. For a minute when I read the title of the thread I was hoping to read that the Express had folded.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:11 am 
Rock Star

Quote:
Damn. For a minute when I read the title of the thread I was hoping to read that the Express had folded.

Isn't that the form in which it is normally provided? ;)

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body