Mr-Woo Chinese and Thai Restaurant

The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:35 am 

Pegeia Community Service Team WARNING

For those who may not have seen it, below is a WARNING from the Pegeia Community Service Team, received by email this morning

“Major concerns are arising in Pegeia area about water consumption especially as many more tourists than other years are expected. Well informed sources told us that in the near future we may be confronted with water shortages, or even water cuts. There is an imminent danger of it happening even as close as end of August.
That's why we as PCS ask you all to consider consuming as little water as possible and talk to friends, neighbours and even to tourists to draw their attention to this problem.
The desalination plant in Pafos is being dismantled; a new one cannot possibly be installed within the necessary timeframe.
Here are some useful stats on current water levels in the dams (see link below). The ones we use in Pegeia are Asprokremmos & Kannaviou, both of which are low, about 37% capacity. The Mavrokolympos dam is for agricultural use & is almost 60% full”.

http://www.moa.gov.cy/moa/wdd/wdd.nsf/reservoir_en/reservoir_en?OpenDocument

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:58 am 

EVERY morning I see at least 3 Peyia Taverns hosing down the pavement outside their restaurants. 1 very close to the Town Hall and 1 very close to the Police station!!!
I also see a lot of ‘holiday’ villa company staff doing the same, especially on a Wednesday and a Sunday (traditional changeover days)

Looks like this was another lie
Quote:- “There will be no water supply cuts, despite the drought, as needs are met by the desalination plants, the deputy head of the water development department Nicos Neocleous said.”

http://cyprus-mail.com/2016/08/13/no-water-cuts-despite-drought/?hlst=no+water+cuts

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:13 am 
Rock Star

Dave you live in Peyia and I live not far from the EKO garage past the Cyta tower, you must have seen the developments going on around our area, there are villas and complexes going up all over the place.
Contractors use water just for the fun of it, when these places are built there will be more demand for water, there are many solutions to the problem but the Cypriots will not do it in case of offending the developers and risk losing their back handers.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:20 am 
Rock Star

You need a wet suit to travel down Coral Bay strip in the mornings.

Alan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:29 am 

emgeeb wrote:
You need a wet suit to travel down Coral Bay strip in the mornings.

Alan

You certainly need one twice a day if in the vicinity of the Crown Resorts hotel.

We have a neighbour who was away for 3 months and came back to a huge water bill of nearly €4,000. They discovered an underground pipe leak in the road outside their villa that had been reported and nothing done about it......they estimate enough water 'escaped' to fill about 20+ Olympic sized swimming pools.....needless to say they are not paying

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:32 am 

We have published this before but here it is again

Water Development Department advice

Check the plumbing installation for leaks.
•Check taps for drips and make repairs promptly.
•Install plastic water bags in the toilet flush tanks.
•Take a shower instead of a bath and avoid having to run the water until it’s hot. Turn off shower water while you apply soap to body.
•Encourage and advise children not to mess around with water in the bath, garden or anywhere else.
•Turn off water while you shave and/or brush teeth.
•Wash only full loads in the washing and dish washing machines.
•Water the garden with a watering can early in the morning or in the evening when evaporation is limited.
•Wash the car with a sponge and a bucket, instead of a hosepipe, which is prohibited by Law.
•Use a broom, not a hose, to clean verandas and pavements. The use of a hosepipe is prohibited by Law.

http://www.moa.gov.cy/moa/wdd/wdd.nsf/measures_en/measures_en?OpenDocument

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:34 pm 
Major

Looks like the whole world will be short of water not just Pegeia in Cyprus -

https://www.globalcitizen.org/en/conten ... d=38602106

As humanity adds nearly 2.5 billion more people by 2050, demand for water will rise by around 40% globally, according to the UN.
At the same time, mismanagement of resources, rampant pollution, and climate change are straining existing water sources to breaking points.
If current trends continue, then the world could face catastrophic water shortages by 2050, which could lead — as it has so many times in the past — to conflict, the UN warned in a new report.
Read More: Is Climate Change Really a ‘National Security Threat?’
“Water, peace and security are inextricably linked,” UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said on Tuesday. “Without effective management of our water resources, we risk intensified disputes between communities and sectors and increased tensions among nations.”
Bolivian president Evo Morales noted that at least 37 conflicts throughout the world have occurred over water rights since 1947 and this number could surge in the years ahead, especially considering that two-thirds of the 197 UN member states share bodies of water. Unless fair arrangements for distributing and managing water are made throughout the world, then tensions could flare.
In particular, 33 countries are deemed to be extremely vulnerable to crises from water shortages. More than a third of these countries are in the Middle East. In fact, the brutal and interminable war in Syria was exacerbated by extreme drought.
Botswana, Estonia, and Albania will see the largest increases in water stress by 2040.
More than 1 billion throughout the Middle East and Southeast Asia depend primarily on three rivers and avoiding conflict in the years ahead depends on fairly managing these bodies.
China has shown a tendency to spurn the water rights of other countries by damming transnational rivers, moves that could cause regional water crises in the future.
Read More: China’s a Leader in Hydropower — But at What Cost?
“Our planet, the human family and life in all its myriad forms on Earth are in the throes of a water crisis that will only get worse over the coming decades,” Morales said.
Water is already a problem for hundreds of million of people globally. More than 800 million people lack steady access to clean water and 2.5 billion people do not live with safe sanitation.
“If current patterns of consumption continue unabated, two-thirds of the world’s population will be facing water shortages as a daily reality by 2025,” Morales said.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:25 pm 
Top of the pops

M.A.D wrote:
We have published this before but here it is again

Water Development Department advice

Check the plumbing installation for leaks.
•Check taps for drips and make repairs promptly.
•Install plastic water bags in the toilet flush tanks.
•Take a shower instead of a bath and avoid having to run the water until it’s hot. Turn off shower water while you apply soap to body.
•Encourage and advise children not to mess around with water in the bath, garden or anywhere else.
•Turn off water while you shave and/or brush teeth.
•Wash only full loads in the washing and dish washing machines.
•Water the garden with a watering can early in the morning or in the evening when evaporation is limited.
•Wash the car with a sponge and a bucket, instead of a hosepipe, which is prohibited by Law.
•Use a broom, not a hose, to clean verandas and pavements. The use of a hosepipe is prohibited by Law.

http://www.moa.gov.cy/moa/wdd/wdd.nsf/measures_en/measures_en?OpenDocument

It is illegal to fill a swimming pool with mains water.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:47 pm 
Top of the pops

The ice caps are melting, sea levels are rising leading to coastal errosion accross the world and flooding so I would think that desalination is the answer to many problems and the easiest to put in place.?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:41 pm 
Top of the pops

beverley wrote:
The ice caps are melting, sea levels are rising leading to coastal errosion accross the world and flooding so I would think that desalination is the answer to many problems and the easiest to put in place.?

Correct, it is. Unfortunately due to mis-management and the like the desalination plant installed at Paphos is now being dismantled. Until a replacement is in place expect the water shortages.
Crazy or what?
Geoff.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body