The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trust A muslim
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:46 pm 
Rock Star

A friend from Peyia called in today and asked me a question which upset me a little.
The gentleman in question is 75 and lives alone after the death of his wife three years ago, he is due to have his house painted and the company he has engaged is an ex Syrian Muslims, he is worried because of all what has gone on, what would you do he asked, he was scarred and had tears in his eyes.
My response was, not every Muslim is a killer, if you have any doubt go and talk to the police in Peyia, the rest of the conversation is private, needless to say he was upset.
What have become to have an old man upset like this.

Post subject: Re: Trust A muslim
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:25 pm 

I have a few friends who are Muslim from Syria. They moved here with their families to avoid the trouble and hope one day it will be resolved and they can return home.

1. When / how did he find out who owned the company?
2. If he is that worried, why doesn't he cancel the contract and go elsewhere?
3. Really not sure what the police would be expected to do.
4. As long as they are a ‘registered’ company and paying all the appropriate insurance and tax etc I don’t see a problem.

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:10 am 
Top of the pops

It's the poisonous minority who aren't even 'proper' Muslims who are ruining things for the honest majority - OK I understand his doubts but surely if this company was dishonest he'd have heard about them by now?!

Personally I'd just stick with them, not persecute them and their business because of the actions of a mindless idiots!

:sunny

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:29 am 
Rock Star

Hello Dave and Dolly.
In December I had knee surgery and was laid up for a while, I asked my landlord if he knew anyone who could help with the garden for a couple of weeks, along came two Syrians who did a fantastic job, their sense of humour was really great and were warm and friendly.
I now use them once a month for the jobs I cannot do, I have got to know them quite well and the stories they tell are beyond scary.
I will pass on Dave's idea get another company try a Cypriot to do the job if concerned.
Paranoia or what.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:42 am 

Ask your Syrian gardeners if they know the Syrian painters :greetings

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:16 am 
Rock Star

Good point Dave, I can also ask my landlord he knows most people in Peyia he was born and bred there.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:40 am 
These Syrians are just some poor guys trying to earn an honest crust, give them a break.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:43 am 
Regular

Most of the "Muslims" I have met in Cyprus are indeed just normal guys. They might have been born in an "Islamic" country but here they have integrated into Cypriot society, they like a beer and eat pork chops and are as far removed from the dyed in the wool nut jobs as me or you

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:43 am 
Rock Star

Coys, please do not take this personally your comments about giving them a break are confusing me, I think that this post has been read incorrectly or I have not explained fully in which case here is an addition to the opening post.
No one is accusing them of anything, as I said in one of the posts I for one employ Syrians to do my garden they are very nice people, I have even eaten with them when they brought me a lamb nani (scrummy).
I am asking a question for a sick old man who has the onset of what is dementia, he his frightened, the question he asked would you trust a Muslim based upon recent events. as he is about to use them to paint his house.
I will help this man and do as Dave suggested ask my gardeners also as I mentioned before ask my landlord who knows most contractors around here (Just in case).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:51 am 
lowvoltage wrote:
Coys, please do not take this personally your comments about giving them a break are confusing me, I think that this post has been read incorrectly or I have not explained fully in which case here is an addition to the opening post.
No one is accusing them of anything, as I said in one of the posts I for one employ Syrians to do my garden they are very nice people, I have even eaten with them when they brought me a lamb nani (scrummy).
I am asking a question for a sick old man who has the onset of what is dementia, he his frightened, the question he asked would you trust a Muslim based upon recent events. as he is about to use them to paint his house.
I will help this man and do as Dave suggested ask my gardeners also as I mentioned before ask my landlord who knows most contractors around here (Just in case).

With respect why are my comments confusing? these guys are just trying to earn a living...If your friend is worried about employing muslims, then there are Cypriots/expats who can do the job.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:09 pm 
Forum Admin

its very sad that it has come to this stage that people are scared
of anyone who is deemed anything other than british , if people took time
to look into things , there are many ,many thousands of syrian christians as well .
I also have used lots of syrian guys to do work for me ,, lately I had some syrians I know
make some new kitchen units for a friend , my friend forgot to order a door for one cuboard ,, after they were delivered , the syrian guys brought him the other door (that was not quoted for)
the next day ,, and told him no extra charge ..

so we are clear that the syrian guys are ok ,,
its just that this old guy needs to be convinced ..

maybe you could let him have a look at this thread :greetings

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:10 pm 
Rock Star

Coys, No one is saying they cannot earn a living, I echo was Neil has just pointed out people are now getting concerned and that is sad, I USE THEM with no issues or problems, again I will reiterate he is an old man alone and frightened.
I agree with you when you just use someone else or a Cypriot that is a fair comment for a person who has all their faculties, regrettably this not him, this is what the terrorists want, fear and mistrust amongst ordinary folk, they are winning the terror war through their actions.

I have rang his son back in the UK and told him what was going on, he is speaking to his dad later.
I will trust many people from different walks of life until they give me just cause not to.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:23 pm 
lowvoltage wrote:
Coys, No one is saying they cannot earn a living, I echo was Neil has just pointed out people are now getting concerned and that is sad, I USE THEM with no issues or problems, again I will reiterate he is an old man alone and frightened.
I agree with you when you just use someone else or a Cypriot that is a fair comment for a person who has all their faculties, regrettably this not him, this is what the terrorists want, fear and mistrust amongst ordinary folk, they are winning the terror war through their actions.

I have rang his son back in the UK and told him what was going on, he is speaking to his dad later.
I will trust many people from different walks of life until they give me just cause not to.

Hi we are getting a bit muddled here, As the Gentleman is feeling a bit worried at the moment because of the recent attacks, maybe for his peace of mind it would be better not to use the Syrian workmen at this present time, no good stressing him out, thats why I suggested using Cypriot/Expat workers now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:55 pm 
Rock Star

Hello coys, totally agreed bit mixed up, put that way I am in total agreement thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:07 pm 

I teach computing classes in Scotland. I had a student in my most recent class who was a refugee from Afghanistan. He had worked as an interpreter for the British Army and because of that, his life was at risk if he remained, so he, his wife and son were relocated to Scotland. They had to leave everything and everybody else behind and most likely, can never go back.

He is a very intelligent man and so grateful for the help he has been given since arriving in Scotland. We just don't know what past refugees have had and it is such a shame to judge them all, based on the actions of a few.

Having said that, my Mum, who is in her 90s is really suspicious of anyone who doesn't fit her view of what a 'British' person should look like - no matter how often I explain that we are all human beings and the same inside and how people look shouldn't matter one bit. We met my student in the supermarket and he was really lovely and chatty to Mum, which was good for her to experience.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:19 pm 
Rock Star

Angie B, Now this is a good post, I believe that your dear Mum shares the same feelings as my friend, it is the older generation that are more cautious than younger people.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:22 pm 
Rock Star

Neil wrote:
its very sad that it has come to this stage that people are scared
of anyone who is deemed anything other than british

Sorry to disagree with you Neil, it is nothing to do with race it is about religion, a religion that, at this moment in time, carries out a disproportionate number of the acts of terrorism taking place around the world.

Last edited by Bassman63 on Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:02 pm 
Top of the pops

While working for Age concern I came accross many elderly people who would not have a coloured person in their house either as cleaners or carers. I did manage to put some minds at rest and they discovered how kind and caring they were but others would not be budged. They were not racist, they had just been bought up not having anything to do with them and were very scared. I think it is a shame that we label people when all they are are people.
With all the terrorism going on world wide it is not surprising that people are frightened.
Acceptance, education and intigration is the way we would all like to be in this unhappy world.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:09 pm 
Rock Star

beverley wrote:
Acceptance, education and intigration is the way we would all like to be in this unhappy world.
And who won't integrate or accept our culture in the UK or in mainly Muslim communities where The Trojan Horse is taking control of schools, I live close the Rotherham, I've personally seen what goes on there where the police were afraid to act.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:31 pm 
Forum Admin

maybe we should be more concerned about our
extremist british citizens

THIS IS A MUST WATCH ..

http://www.israelvideonetwork.com/british-muslims-reveal-their-plan-for-the-uk-in-plain-english-for-the-world-to-see/

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:43 pm 
Rock Star

Neil, after watching that then we are in deep trouble and there is only one answer, and on this forum I cannot say what it is.
If the huggies and welcome what can we do for you people watch this then say we must be tolerant, well there is no hope we are all doomed and must learn to turn and face east, here is one that will not :uk .

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:43 pm 
Rock Star

Coys, sent you a PM regarding the original post Thanks Ian

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body