The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hot cross buns
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:57 pm 
Rock Star

Someone posted a recipe for hot cross buns recently and they were delicious but I can't find it now. Anyone able to help please.

Post subject: Re: Hot cross buns
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 4:21 pm 
Rock Star

Found the recipe on a different forum.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 5:03 pm 
Top of the pops

I hope they are Halal buns??!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 6:44 pm 
Regular

It was Lloyd ( Happy in Cyprus) Do a search under authors

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 7:28 pm 
Rock Star

My version is as follows:

1. Drive into Paphos.
2. Park outside M&S.
3. Walk and go to the bread aisle straight ahead.
4. Pick up and pay for the hot cross buns of your choice (mine would be the ones with apple).

Sorted! :grin:

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:11 am 
Top of the pops

Effsie wrote:
My version is as follows:

1. Drive into Paphos.
2. Park outside M&S.
3. Walk and go to the bread aisle straight ahead.
4. Pick up and pay for the hot cross buns of your choice (mine would be the ones with apple).

Sorted! :grin:

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:40 am 

Poppytim wrote:
It was Lloyd ( Happy in Cyprus) Do a search under authors

Wouldn't work since many members like you and Lloyd use different names on different forums

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:10 am 

My "recipe" would be:

Drive to Papantoniou's supermarket at the bottom of Ellados.
Park.
Walk inside the shop.
Head straight for the bakery department.
Select several yummy hot cross buns (59c each for a large, well spiced, generously fruited bun).
Have one of the helpful bakery staff stick the appropriate price sticker on the bag of buns.
Head for the cafeteria.
Order tea/coffee/other drink of your choice.
Scoff a bun (note, A bun, not all of them :roll: :lol: ) with your cuppa.
Pay for drink.
Head to check-out.
Pay for buns.
Exit and head for car, feeling well refreshed and happy in the knowledge that you still have some yummy hot cross buns for Ron.... (laterrrrrr on, gettit? :grin: )

However, if you really want to bake your own, then I think Lloyd's (Yakflyer) recipe sounds really good. (And no, he's not attempted to bribe me with one of his Hot Cross Buns to say that, but one can always hope! :oops: :lol: :lol: )

Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a previous life.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:15 pm 
Master

Papantoniou's were definitely the best tasting this year - had a few on different occasions to check the consistency of the recipe!

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:14 pm 

They had just made a fresh batch on Friday when I was in there, so I succumbed to temptation! :oops: :lol:

Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a previous life.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:36 pm 
Top of the pops

PW in Polemi wrote:
My "recipe" would be:

Drive to Papantoniou's supermarket at the bottom of Ellados.

Papantoniou Bakeries are extending their premises next to Tremithousa traffic lights junction.
So you might not have so far to travel soon. :sunny

Post subject: Hot cross buns
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:36 am 
Top of the pops

Looking for something else I just spotted this thread which I must has missed previously. Sorreee!

OK, a bit late for this year - just a bit, lol - but bear this recipe in mind (or print off) ready for next year.

I compiled this recipe using ingredients and techniques culled from a number of hot cross bun recipes. Over time I've tweaked the recipe a number of times until I felt I had got as close as possible to Hot Cross Bun perfection. People who’ve tried them say they are the best they’ve tasted; and far superior to any shop-bought variety.

Some notes about the ingredients:

* Ground Mixed Spices is an important ingredient. And while some brands of Mixed Spices contain just three basic constituents: cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice; better brands such as John Per also contain cloves, ginger, cardamom, cumin, coriander and asteroid anise.
* Waitrose Italian Cut Mixed Peel (available from Papantoniou and Alfa Mega) is IMO about the best. And Harmony brand sultanas (also available from Paps) gives the plumpest and juiciest fruit.
* I prefer to use Muscovado, Dark, or Light Brown Sugar instead of caster sugar.
* For the glaze, many recipes suggest a mix of caster sugar, glycerine and water. Others recommend syrup or apricot jam. I prefer honey for a nicer and more natural taste.

Amounts below will give twelve/sixteen buns, depending on preferred bun size. Takes 45 mins prep + 60-90 mins proving (rising) + 15-18 mins to cook.

Ingredients

Dough
500 gms (18 ozs) Strong White Bread (or Plain) Flour, sieved
½ tsp Salt
½ tsp Nutmeg
1 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Ground Mixed Spices
55 gms (2 ozs) Muscovado, Dark or Light Brown Sugar
60 gms (2.2 ozs) Butter (salted OK) softened or chopped up into small pieces
200 gms (7.2 ozs) Sultanas
100 gms (3.6 ozs) Mixed Peel
2 ½ tsp (2 x 7gm sachets) Fast-action or Easy-blend Yeast
1 Egg (Large) beaten
300 ml (½ pint) Milk, warm – not hot

Crosses
50 gms (1.8 ozs) Plain or S/R Flour
3 tsp Caster Sugar
Milk (use as much as is required to convert the two above ingredients to a smooth paste)

Glaze
Honey (heated in a microwave for 10 seconds to make it runny)

Method

Tip the sieved flour into a mixing bowl and stir in the salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, mixed spice and sugar. Mix thoroughly. Then rub in the butter with your fingertips (or use an electric mixer). Stir in the sultanas and mixed peel. Finally, sprinkle yeast all over the surface and set to one side.

Gently heat the milk in a medium-sized pan until it is warm - not hot. Beat the egg into the milk using a fork, then add to the dry ingredients in the bowl. Using a blunt knife, or a dough paddle in an electric mixer, mix the ingredients to a moist, sticky dough, then leave to soak for 5 minutes. If the dough is too wet, add more flour; if it is too dry, add a little more milk. While waiting, line a baking tray with baking paper, or grease it with butter and dust with flour.

Remove the dough from the bowl and place on a clean, lightly-floured surface. Knead the dough vigorously for 5 or 6 minutes so until it is elastic and springs back when pressed. Throughout this process you will need to keep flouring the surface and your hands to prevent the dough sticking. When ready, roll the dough into a ball, place in a large bowl, cover the bowl with clingfilm, and leave in a warm place (a warm airing cupboard, or outside in warm sunshine) until the dough increases in size by around 100%. This will take 30-90 minutes, depending on the ambient temperature.

When fully expanded, remove the dough from the bowl and place back on the lightly-floured surface. Knock all the air from the dough and knead again for 2 mins. Now roll the dough into a long, even, sausage shape, patting the ends to form a uniform cylindrical appearance. Cut the dough into quarters, then divide each quarter into three or four equal pieces. To ensure uniformity of bun size you can if you wish weigh out the individual dough amounts. Gently roll each piece of dough into a ball and place the balls close together, but not touching, on the lined (or greased) baking tray. Cover the balls with a clean tea towel and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled in size (takes 30-40 minutes). At the appropriate time, pre-heat the oven to 200C non-fan setting.

Crosses

Mix the flour and sugar with just enough milk to give a smooth paste – not too thick and not too runny. Spoon the paste into a piping bag or cylinder and when the buns have risen, pipe a white cross onto each bun. You can use a plastic food bag with a corner snipped off instead of a piping bag/cylinder. However, I’ve used both, and a piping cylinder with 4mm nozzle is much easier to use.

Place buns in the oven pre-heated to 200C non-fan setting and bake for about 15-18 minutes, until risen and golden brown. Take care not to over-cook, particularly if you’ve made smaller buns, otherwise the buns will end up dry. When cooked, remove from the oven and place on a wire rack. Place aluminium foil under the wire rack, then brush the buns all over with warm honey to glaze. This is best done while the buns are oven-hot. Allow to cool.

Then all you have to do is enjoy.

The buns will keep fresh for a day or two in an airtight container. After that they are best served warm and spread with butter.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:01 am 
Top of the pops

They look as good as "fanny's"

But only if you're old enough to remember that one.....

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:02 am 
Top of the pops

Ah, the legendary SWMBO Mrs Craddock ;)

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body