The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cost Of Medical
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:46 am 
Rock Star

A while ago I openend a thread about the cost of medical care here in Cyprus, I got a bit of abuse and a bit of praise. What I was trying to show is the costs here in Cyprus, continuing with this I thought I would tell you about more costs.
Just had an MRI on my spine at the Diagnostic test centre in Paphos the cost was €300, plus treatment when it happens, fortunately I am covered by insurance.
My advice is get insurance do not be caught out, there are many cases of uninsured people who get into all sorts of difficulty.

Post subject: Re: Cost Of Medical
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:27 am 
Rock Star

€300 is a good price and similar to what I paid plus a fraction of the cost in the UK.

I had an MRI in the UK 14 years ago and it was over £800 then!

Haven't had medical insurance for years and have, thus far, saved a fortune. I know the argument about the costs of major surgery and treatment but there are the General hospitals or a flight back to the UK if it gets that desperate.

It's a personal choice, but doing it that way works for me.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:58 am 
Top of the pops

Effsie wrote:
€300 is a good price and similar to what I paid plus a fraction of the cost in the UK.

I had an MRI in the UK 14 years ago and it was over £800 then!

Haven't had medical insurance for years and have, thus far, saved a fortune. I know the argument about the costs of major surgery and treatment but there are the General hospitals or a flight back to the UK if it gets that desperate.

It's a personal choice, but doing it that way works for me.

The General Hospitals are only a choice (for free) if you are a Pensioner living here.
Otherwise if you live here (e.g. pre-retirement age) you have to pay whether in a Public or Private Hospital.
Hence the good advice to take out Health Insurance.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:33 pm 
Top of the pops

Effsie wrote:
Of course you will save money if you never require treatment, but that's like saying that if you play Russian Roulette you won't die if the hammer lands on an empty chamber.

What will you do if you have a serious road accident? The accident statistics here are often alarming. Or what if, like a neighbour, you suffer a stroke and cannot travel, or perhaps you may have a heart attack? Any of these could wipe you out financially and you won't be able to skulk back to Blighty to take advantage of the NHS (should they let you do so) if you are not well enough to fly.

If you don't have a medical card, treatment here in the General Hospitals is not free.

You never know what is just around the corner. My wife and I didn't anticipate the need for cancer treatment, but we have both needed it and had we had to pay for treatment out of our own pockets we would have been in serious financial difficulties. As it is we are now both alive and well and don't have to worry how we are going to pay hundreds of thousands of euros for that treatment.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:42 pm 
Rock Star

Sorry, I didn't say this on my original post. I work in Cyprus and have a medical card which maybe puts my comments into context.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:56 pm 
Top of the pops

Effsie wrote:
Sorry, I didn't say this on my original post. I work in Cyprus and have a medical card which maybe puts my comments into context.

Yes it does. Fair enough.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:51 pm 
Top of the pops

Effsie wrote:
Indeed that makes all the difference, but there are others that adopt this policy and don't have the all important card.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 11:55 am 
Rock Star

Correct KG, what sheer stupidity.....whilst I know it is a legal requirement to have cover when you apply for your residency slip, surely it is a requirement to maintain that cover...we have a significant amount of cover, but still pay agent go for minor ailments...claims do of course impact on the premium of the insurance policy....but as you have stated, you never know what is around the corner...and care can quite easily run into the thousands....and those that think nipping back to the UK is a workable solution are also deluded....

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:35 pm 
Star

As you move into your twilight years, no matter now healthy you find yourself today and feel better living in the sun etc ( which brings further problems for a few ) naturally our bodies are failing naturally with age! constant trips to docs hospitals dentists, chiropodist, screening appts, blood tests etc become the norm.

When I'm in a waiting room nowdays I don't see young people I see my age group....

That's why I today would be terrified of relying on just private medical insurance who at a whim can refuse to cover you for a new chronic condition......

I know someone in Cyprus who pays more than they would have in council services in the U.K. And still have other bills sent ontop,

It is not just about fixing broken limbs, it's far more than than that, district nurses kick in in my region , plus occupationational therapists, plus arranging drivers for future hospital appt, as well as sending simple equipment such as air cushion all free of charge all quickly and breathtakingly necessary for recovery. Arranging blood tests from home.

I've had pain dealt with by a surgical driver and Daily nurses the cost inc controlled drugs which get delivered is significant but hopefully shortlived.....

I know I'm pleased I don't have any worries onhow I'm being cared for, and least of all that I have to pay for it.

I know I'm lucky too. Plus my doc is a british Cypriot which adds to my reassurance.

Hope the lady recovers soon. Being immobile is not easy.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 3:04 pm 
Rock Star

We are too young to qualify for state care here in Cyprus, if any critic conditions developed that our insurance would not cover we would be back to the UK like a shot......

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:08 pm 
Top of the pops

Hudswell wrote:
We are too young to qualify for state care here in Cyprus, if any critic conditions developed that our insurance would not cover we would be back to the UK like a shot......

How would you get care in the UK NHS if you are resident in Cyprus? You surely give this up when you move here?
That is unless things have changed since we moved here - at that time we were also too young to
get Cyprus health care (Health card) so had to take out Private Health Insurance (not cheap!).
Once I got my UK State Pension a few years later we qualified for a Cyprus Health card. But we still
had no entitlement in UK. Pensioners here do now have an entitlement to NHS treatment in UK, but as far as I know others living here do not.
I stand to be corrected on this, but the UK Gov website seems to support what I say.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:22 pm 
Top of the pops

geoffreys wrote:
Hudswell wrote:

How would you get care in the UK NHS if you are resident in Cyprus? You surely give this up when you move here?
That is unless things have changed since we moved here - at that time we were also too young to
get Cyprus health care (Health card) so had to take out Private Health Insurance (not cheap!).
Once I got my UK State Pension a few years later we qualified for a Cyprus Health card. But we still
had no entitlement in UK. Pensioners here do now have an entitlement to NHS treatment in UK, but as far as I know others living here do not.
I stand to be corrected on this, but the UK Gov website seems to support what I say.
Geoff.

Geoff, there is also the case that many British living here have not registered that they do so either for health or tax reasons better known to themselves. I suppose officially they are now illegal, but I know of some who return regularly to the UK as they do not have an S1 form, and they are of pensionable age. They cannot claim free treatment here as a result, but I do wonder what would happen if they were to become seriously ill whilst in Cyprus.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 5:16 pm 
Star

double post

Last edited by Lynsab on Sun May 21, 2017 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 5:18 pm 
Star

You are entitled to uk NHS treatment once you return to live in the UK.

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/Documents/EN-GB ... ?dtrk=true

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 5:53 pm 
Rock Star

geoffreys wrote:
Hudswell wrote:

Geoff.

Yep, stand corrected Geoff, as Lyns link points out, provide you are normally resident in the UK you are fully entitled to Health care, it is not a problem...if I had significant health issues I would move back....different of course If you are normally resident in Cyprus and go back for medical treatment....

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:53 am 
Top of the pops

Hudswell wrote:
geoffreys wrote:
Hudswell wrote:

Geoff.

Yep, stand corrected Geoff, as Lyns link points out, provide you are normally resident in the UK you are fully entitled to Health care, it is not a problem...if I had significant health issues I would move back....different of course If you are normally resident in Cyprus and go back for medical treatment....

If you move to Cyprus to live here you should inform the UK authorities of your change of normal residence from UK to Cyprus.
As I understand it is an offence not to do so.
But you then lose all rights to use the NHS in UK of course (unless you are in receipt of UK State Pension).
This is just one of several reasons why many Brits living here do not tell the UK authorities of their move, neither do they register here.
Many of these people use UK issued EHIC cards to get health care here - again illegal, as they are not tourists.
As there appear to be no checks anywhere on these cheats they get away with it. Brexit will I guess change all that.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:04 am 
Rock Star

Geoff, Spot on I wonder how many do flaunt the rules, when Brexit does come there will be a few squeaky bums.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:12 am 
Rock Star

Correct Geoff, but if you move back and establish residency, you are entitled to care....and the process is simple...you register with a GP, job done. I have no intention of "defrauding" the system....if I developed a condition which my insurance did not cover and I was still under state retirement age I would move back to the UK....permanently.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:16 am 
Top of the pops

Hudswell wrote:
Correct Geoff, but if you move back and establish residency, you are entitled to care....and the process is simple...you register with a GP, job done. I have no intention of "defrauding" the system....if I developed a condition which my insurance did not cover and I was still under state retirement age I would move back to the UK....permanently.

No problem with that Hudswell, perfectly legal.
We know very few Brits here who, like us, have registered etc and done it all by the book.
Many we know are cheating both the Cyprus and UK Authorities one way or another, usually tax or health issues.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:21 am 
Rock Star

Hudswell, you are correct with your reply and well done for that, there are not many people who have the same values regarding that, I would do the same as you should the need aris :clap

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:08 am 
Star

As with all private health insurances how far does the cover go? Is it endless.....

Even in the uk costs add up.

Support services are vital. They are needed as much as treatment if not moreso after surgery.

I've even had a charity trust get in touch with me to see if their services can help, I never say no......so a nice bit of acupuncture free of charge coming my way.

The support is very important and it does include financial services discreetly for those who may need any financial entitlements some may not have realised they are fully entitled to once becoming habitually resident in the uk

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/money-matters/c ... on-credit/

But you need to move back to the uk of course...

Lots of luck whichever road you choose, there's help out there.

I know my health and being amongst our family and friends became uppermost, we rented our place out for four years very successfully in Cyprus in that time, but now we realise it's time to let it go so the end of an era really.

But it's all doable.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body