Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Political Party
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:03 am 
Rock Star

Extracted from Cyprus Mail.

The interior ministry is looking into the application of a political party which was filed by a group of Russians with Cyprus citizenship. “It is not really a Russian party,” Interior ministry spokesman Michalakis Christodoulides said on Friday, “what counts is that they are Cypriot citizens. Any citizen can apply to create a party.
A group of them has applied and the authorities are examining if they fulfil the necessary criteria, one of which is that they all have Cypriot citizenship.
It is early days to say if it will be approved.” , but confirmed that an application has been made by “a group of which the majority are Russian speakers.”
Not all agree that such a party is needed, “I don’t think this is a very good idea,” a member of the Russian community said, adding that it would draw unnecessary attention to the community. “But I have observed that some Russians want to become members of parliament.”

Around 40,000 from Russia and the former Soviet republics now live in Cyprus, and about 75 per cent of them are mainly in Limassol. Many are believed to have Cypriot citizenship as this is easy to obtain with a financial investment. Head of the Cyprus Russian business association Andy Nathanael lists the modern infrastructure and the port as major factors why Limassol is such a magnet.

Post subject: Re: New Political Party
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:15 am 
Top of the pops

I'm puzzled not see such British Party of Cyprus as its number will outweigh others and having long history in the country measured by centuries.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:33 am 
Rock Star

Sergio I agree, however if this was to happen it would really change Cyprus, there may be more openness and less corruption and things might get done sooner.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:44 am 
Top of the pops

Personally, I think it would be a dangerous policy to accept a move like that by the Russians, especially for the mid term
future of Cyprus. A foothold like that to be gained by any outside interests of any other country is not desirable.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:56 am 
Top of the pops

lowvoltage wrote:
Sergio I agree, however if this was to happen it would really change Cyprus, there may be more openness and less corruption and things might get done sooner.

That's what I'm thinking each time when fall in a trap of local bureaucracy, municipal laziness and local people bad habits ...

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:10 am 
Regular

I somehow doubt that the Russians behind this political party are interested in cleaning up Cyprus :lol:

I presume funding etc for it will be coming from the thousands of very wealth Russians who have become citizens of Cyprus for what to them is loose change and who see effectively laundering themselves by buying Cyprus/EU citizens as a way to make it easier to launder their money and circumvent EU and American sanctions

In Cyprus having political influence is the best way to avoid embarrassing questions and protect your own interests and I'm sure these Russians know that - if there is ever going to be another haircut they'll want he same warning the rest of the "rousfeti" got last time round ;)

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:11 pm 
If you become a Citizen here or the UK you have the right to vote, therefore if you want to start a political party then go for it, but before you run off and become a Cypriot citizen, remember that the rules for Cypriot citizens will apply to you, ie Tax etc , and if your the right age, you might have to do a bit of National service, good luck.. :crylaughin

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:42 pm 
Regular

The Russians will of course have dual nationality and there is no obligation for them to live in Cyprus , pay their taxes here or do their National Service either

The criteria are outlined here along with all the many benefits and obvious lack of obligations (other than a couple of million of course)

http://citizenshipcy.com/?utm_medium=cp ... GwoduaMI_Q

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:40 pm 
Top of the pops

I'm curious what you will post in 10 years when Chinese will out number Cypriots and would create own Party.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:59 pm 
Top of the pops

COYS wrote:
If you become a Citizen here or the UK you have the right to vote, therefore if you want to start a political party then go for it, but before you run off and become a Cypriot citizen, remember that the rules for Cypriot citizens will apply to you, ie Tax etc , and if your the right age, you might have to do a bit of National service, good luck.. :crylaughin

Surely if you live in Cyprus, having become a Cyprus Citizen or not/dual nationality or not, you have to pay Cyprus income tax anyway.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 2:06 pm 
Top of the pops

Quote:
A foothold like that to be gained by any outside interests of any other country is not desirable.
This already happens in many places such as Majorca where the Germans have a major hold.

Quote:
I'm curious what you will post in 10 years when Chinese will out number Cypriots and would create own Party.
but the food will be so good.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:00 pm 
Top of the pops

tanny wrote:
but the food will be so good.

I'm not excite eating that food nor forced follow different culture ethics by prevailing such Party in local Congress.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:23 pm 
Regular

If you are resident in Cyprus for tax purposes you pay your tax in Cyprus,

If you are resident for tax purposes anywhere else in the world you can live in Cyprus for 182 days of the year and pay no income tax in Cyprus whatsoever Citizenship doesn't really come into the tax status equation- that is primarily a residency issue

The Russian/Chinese passport scheme is a major driver of the current Cyprus economic "recovery" and has allowed Cyprus to dodge many of the stipulations of the MoU with the EU after the bailout (as did rolling over the Russian loan taken out by Christophias). That has alleviated the economic impact that would entail and the political turmoil of trying to sell the SGO's

How long it is allowed to continue remains to be seen, but selling passports for cash or investment that purchasers can sell in 3 years it is not a healthy development and makes a complete mockery of any alleged EU stance on money laundering :roll:

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body