Mr-Woo Chinese and Thai Restaurant

The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:06 pm 
Top of the pops

So the triple lock is to be replaced by the "double lock".
No so bad. Now the highest of wage increases or inflation.
As inflation is on the up, as will wages be now the economy has picked up, it means next
year our State Pensions are likely to increase by more than 2.5%. i.e. no change because it is very likely that either wages or inflation will exceed 2.5%.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:38 pm 
Rock Star

Great for pensioners? what it means is they will probably lose out somewhere. What about ex servicemen & women they still have to use the CPI which is set in September, my Army pension went up 1% also my war pension is set by that criteria that went up 1% even the ex civil servants are out of pocket.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:56 pm 
Major

geoffreys wrote:
As inflation is on the up, as will wages be now the economy has picked up, it means next
year our State Pensions are likely to increase by more than 2.5%. i.e. no change because it is very likely that either wages or inflation will exceed 2.5%.
Geoff.

Doesn't come in until 2020.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:15 pm 
Star

jonno wrote:
geoffreys wrote:
Geoff.

I read that Britain is once again heading for a wage freeze, the last one was 2008, not good.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:56 pm 

Uncle D wrote:
jonno wrote:
geoffreys wrote:
Geoff.

I read that Britain is once again heading for a wage freeze, the last one was 2008, not good.

Would appreciate if you could give us a link to where you read this please.......TQ

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:33 pm 
Top of the pops

Downloaded the manifesto and cherry picked the bits that directly apply to us as pensioners.
The triple lock stays in place until 2020 as promised and thereafter as Geoff says it will become a double lock.
Sounds ok to me, not ripping off the pensioners as Corbynistas are scaremongering.
Social care has only been free to those with assets up to £23,500k. it will be raised to £100k which sounds better to me. It also can be paid for after your death and that of your spouse out of your estate but £100k will not be taken so a fair sum to leave to your children if you have any.
The winter fuel allowance is to be means tested which I think is a sensible way of saving millions of pounds that can go into social care.
I have a neighbour who gives their WFA to her daughter to help with her heating costs as she says she doesn't need it. The daughter smokes and drinks and the kids have all the latest gadgets so in my opinion she is not in poverty.
Too much money has been given away by previous governments to people who don't need it so I am glad to see some common sense taking over.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:57 pm 
Star

Sorry got it wrong, it was reported on last nights BBC news about the wage freeze.
But here is something that I googled
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/02/growth-i ... d-ifs.html

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body